'T's' Made for Rock!

Mag

'T's' Made for Rock!
« on: 19 Feb 2014, 03:50 am »
Yes, I got the audio bug again and brought home a pair of T's in black ash.

Having them for a week now I can say they are broke in, long weekends are great for that! :P

Listening to Deep Purple- Made in Japan, an album I've been listening to since 73, 74'ish, I've never heard it sound so, Hard Rock like. Of course it's not just Made in Japan, but just about every recording except for compressed Dolby Digital crap on music videos.

The bass is deep, which is fundamental to a lot of songs for them to sound right. A couple of songs by the Police, Synchronicity I & II, stood out like 'wow' and I'm really not that keen on the Police.

The mid-range and highs have exceptional detail. Like you can even discern what Ozzy is mumbling in Black Sabbath-Gathered in their Masses, Blu-ray.

Thank You, James for making great ROCK speakers! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 'T's' Made for Rock!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2014, 04:35 am »
Yes, I got the audio bug again and brought home a pair of T's in black ash.

Having them for a week now I can say they are broke in, long weekends are great for that! :P

Listening to Deep Purple- Made in Japan, an album I've been listening to since 73, 74'ish, I've never heard it sound so, Hard Rock like. Of course it's not just Made in Japan, but just about every recording except for compressed Dolby Digital crap on music videos.

The bass is deep, which is fundamental to a lot of songs for them to sound right. A couple of songs by the Police, Synchronicity I & II, stood out like 'wow' and I'm really not that keen on the Police.

The mid-range and highs have exceptional detail. Like you can even discern what Ozzy is mumbling in Black Sabbath-Gathered in their Masses, Blu-ray.

Thank You, James for making great ROCK speakers! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind comments Mag - what the Model T's do well is handle huge amounts of power with very low distortion and that lack of dynamic compression is what you are hearing in your T's.  Enjoy!!! :thumb:

james

werd

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2014, 06:34 pm »
Nice one! Which one did you get? Black Ash is nice colour. Cheapest too.  :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:38 pm »
Mag and James, now you are both starting to give me the bug - I am very tempted and just happen to have a Bryston dealer in town.  :duh:

Mark

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:17 am »
Nice one! Which one did you get? Black Ash is nice colour. Cheapest too.  :thumb:

Hey Werd, where have you been? Still plan on giving you a call to listen to your system again.

I got the Model T's, the big ones, barely got them down the stairs to my room, box is big and heavy.

I don't know about cheap it's all I can afford with so much else on the plate at this time. But at least I can get on with worrying about my pension now that my stereo is complete. :lol:

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:25 am »
Mag and James, now you are both starting to give me the bug - I am very tempted and just happen to have a Bryston dealer in town.  :duh:

Mark

I know the feeling. You should still listen for yourself, as what I like may not be what you like. The T's are neutral in sound. You are not hearing the speaker but the source or weakest link in the chain.

Having all Bryston gear there is no weak link that I can detect in my system. And you're never going to be sure it's the speaker for you until you have 'em in your room.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:44 am »
Hey Werd, where have you been? Still plan on giving you a call to listen to your system again.

I got the Model T's, the big ones, barely got them down the stairs to my room, box is big and heavy.

I don't know about cheap it's all I can afford with so much else on the plate at this time. But at least I can get on with worrying about my pension now that my stereo is complete. :lol:

Lol you dirty dog. You should've called me I would've helped. Give me a call when you gotta chance. 

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2014, 12:38 am »
Okay, although rock on cd's sound pretty darn good with the Model T. Rock sounds fantastic on Blu-ray, dvd, pcm track. Not sure of the reason for that since we had this discussion elsewhere that anything better than 44.1, 16 bit, playback is a myth.

Recommended Music Videos to test the Model T for rock playback.

Black Sabbath- Gathered in Their Masses, Blu-ray, pcm
Judas Priest- Epitaph, Blu-ray, pcm
Alanis Morissette- Live at Montreux, Blu-ray, pcm
Joe Satriani- Live is San Francisco, dvd, pcm
Led Zepplin- Song Remains the Same, Special Edition, dvd, pcm

More rock recommendations to come as I listen to more of my music videos. 8)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2014, 04:13 am »
Hi Mag,

Can you describe your audio chain from Source to the Model T's for the ones of us that can't remember what components you have?

Thanks!
HsvHeelFan

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2014, 12:25 am »
Hi Mag,

Can you describe your audio chain from Source to the Model T's for the ones of us that can't remember what components you have?

Thanks!
HsvHeelFan

Hi, my audio chain:

Power conditioner: Monster AVS 2000

Source: BDP-1, Sony Blu-ray S185, MSI CR600 laptop with VLC media player

Dac: BDA-1

Pre-amp: SP2

Amp front: 3B SST/2

Amp surround: 3B ST

Front speakers: Model T

Surround speaker: Paradigm Studio 20 v3

Sub: Velodyne CHT-10, crossover 80 hz

Room: 25'x 11'x 8'

Majority of listening in Neo:6 music mode

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2014, 04:33 am »
A few more rock dvd's with 48k 16 bit pcm audio track that I've listen to with the Model T's.

Dream-Theater- Live at Luna Park, Blu-ray
AC/Dc- Live in Donington, dvd
Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere, dvd
U2- Elevation, dvd
Scorpians- Amazonia live in the Jungle, dvd

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:39 pm »
I was wrong! (hate when that happens) After going through dvd's I went back to some reference songs and it appears the Model T passives have opened up even more. So break in time for the T's is somewhere between 50 to 100 hours of listening.

Also pcm track on dvd doesn't mean it's going to sound better. Eagles- Hell Freezes Over pcm track sounds terrible, worse than the Dobly track.

A couple more dvd's where the pcm sounds better than cd.

Santana- Sacred Fire
Aerosmith- You Gotta Move

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:48 am »
Hi James!

Ok I've been reading a little bit about 'good rock speakers'. Apparently there is something called Hoffman's Iron Law. A good rock speaker has to have 1) low frequency capability 2) Box size 3) efficiency. Increase any one of these and you have to compromise one of the other two.

So could you tell us what went into designing, decisions in making the Model T, which I think is a good rock speaker. Without revealing trade secrets?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:03 am »
Hi James!

Ok I've been reading a little bit about 'good rock speakers'. Apparently there is something called Hoffman's Iron Law. A good rock speaker has to have 1) low frequency capability 2) Box size 3) efficiency. Increase any one of these and you have to compromise one of the other two.

So could you tell us what went into designing, decisions in making the Model T, which I think is a good rock speaker. Without revealing trade secrets?

Hi Mag

I had four main goals with the Bryston loudspeakers:

1. Very wide and even Listening Window (polar response)
2. Excellent Sound Power
3. Capable of playing at real world volume levels without dynamic compression
4. Affordable

So my feeling is not that the Bryston speakers are necessarily a rock speaker as much as their ability to produce huge dynamics with very low distortion serves rock music admirably. :thumb:

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:14 pm »
  This is exactly why I went for JBL Ti 120s back in 1989. The basics haven't changed a lot  :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:22 am »
What sold me on the Model T passives, was not that they play rock well.

When James Tanner was in Saskatoon he played a Taiko Drums demo track. Being a Kitaro fan, I was thinking of the Taiko Drums track on Enchanted Evening, Kojicki and Yakushiji, that's what sold me. Actually never listened to rock at the demo.

Imaging is also quite impressive. In my 25'x11'x8' speakers placed along the long wall, I don't get the 3D depth image I heard at the demo, due to the shallow room. I do get this strong phantom center image with the speakers 10' apart. That compares to the soundstage I heard at the Joe Satriani concert when he was here recently.

I have them reflecting off the back concrete wall toed in about a foot to the right and left of my listening chair. So they are room friendly speakers even though they're big for this room.

yyz

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:41 am »
If you want to hear some great Rock listen to the relatively new Rush hi-res digital downloads of their whole back catalog. It sounds incredible. The revelation in the catalog is the album Vapor Trails. When I first bought the disk just after it was originally released, sometime around 2000, my ears were bleeding with the crap recording, I threw out the disk. The new download of that disk sounds incredible and reveals one of the best albums Rush has ever done. Another download to pay attention to is the new release Clockwork Angels,  imo it is in the class of Moving Pictures.

Speakers like the Model T should have some Rush played through them.

Mag

« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2014, 03:37 am »
If you want to hear some great Rock listen to the relatively new Rush hi-res digital downloads of their whole back catalog. It sounds incredible. The revelation in the catalog is the album Vapor Trails. When I first bought the disk just after it was originally released, sometime around 2000, my ears were bleeding with the crap recording, I threw out the disk. The new download of that disk sounds incredible and reveals one of the best albums Rush has ever done. Another download to pay attention to is the new release Clockwork Angels,  imo it is in the class of Moving Pictures.

Speakers like the Model T should have some Rush played through them.

Thanks, I will probably do that but not right away. I have lots of Rush stuff, I like the early years and wasn't too keen on the latter years. I also have Vapor Trails and also liked the album but not the compression.

Rush albums even dvd haven't had really good recordings compared to some other bands. I have the re-mastered Farewell to Kings which is much improved.

1oldguy

« Reply #18 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:33 am »
As most of the music I listen to is in the 60's and 70's the model T would be perfect. :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:33 pm »
As most of the music I listen to is in the 60's and 70's the model T would be perfect. :thumb:

You should demo them first if possible. You get lots of bass vibe which may be too much if you're not use to it. The detail is exceptional, like cymbals sound like cymbals. My Paradigm Studio 100 v2 is a good rock speaker, but the Model T passives just does everything better.

The Middle T's may be more to your liking, which I haven't heard.