Unifield 2 and large room

bb64

Unifield 2 and large room
« on: 17 Feb 2014, 02:48 pm »
Hi

I am new on this forum and I may buy an UF2 on second hand market.  I can not listen them home before to buy.  I have a large room

The roof is quite high 2.6 m at the extremities and 4.5 m at the middle. The stay way is not closed. 

I wonder how the UF2 behave in such room. 

Thanks for your comments

Ben

JackD201

Re: Unifield 2 and large room
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2014, 07:57 pm »
Hi Ben,

I would not be as concerned with the size of the room relative to the speakers size as I would your intended listening distance as well as distance of your speakers from the front boundaries. Looking at your diagram, I think you are in very safe territory.

cheers,

Jack

jbr

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2014, 08:59 pm »
Ben,
My Unifield 2 speakers are about the same distance from my listening point (also a sofa) as shown in your diagram. Although there is no large open space behind in my set up, I would agree with Jack that your speakers are close enough to the listening point that you should be okay.
     JBR

bb64

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:58 am »
Thanks for your comments, the UF2 will be home soon :D :D

Ben

bb64

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:44 am »
Hi

I come back to you to get some advices on placement of the speakers. Right now, the UF2 are set like:

and in picture:

As you can notice, I used bi-wire with MasterBuilt cables (they are great cables by the way, and bi-wiring is really an great improvement on these speakers).   

I wonder how I show place them to get better image: Should I spread them more ? Should I tilt them toward the sweet point ?

Thanks to share your experience.

Ben

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2015, 04:07 pm »
Hello bb64,

Congratulations on the UniField 2's.  They should work fantastic.  If you can space them a little further apart, you can widen your sound stage.  Also, you don't want to aim the tweeters at your ears.  This speaker was designed to listen to more off axis.  I would aim the speakers straight out into the room at first, then make very small adjustments towing them towards the listening position maybe 5 degree's at a time.  Listen to each adjustment to build a frame of reference to each positioning.  You will know when the imaging and deep sound stage are locked in.  Feel free to call us if you have any questions.  Enjoy :D

Leif
951-682-0706

bb64

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:39 pm »
  If you can space them a little further apart, you can widen your sound stage.  Also, you don't want to aim the tweeters at your ears.  This speaker was designed to listen to more off axis.

Thanks Leif for your answer. I space them almost to the maximum that I can and keeping them straight :

That increases the sound stage.

Since this speaker is design to listen to more off axis, the angle beta (see drawing, in front of the left speaker) is an important parameter. Beta equals in my set-up to 23 degree =asin(2.5/2/3.2). Am I in the correct off axis range ?

Feel free to call us if you have any questions.  Enjoy :D

I can call you but jet lag is an important parameter, I live in Europe. I guess that you do not want that I call you at the middle of the night.

Ben

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:18 pm »
Ben,

You are welcome to call me anytime.

951-233-9852

Leif

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2015, 07:18 pm »
So.......................how are they sounding now since you have moved them apart?  Did you play with the toe in at all?

bb64

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2015, 04:22 pm »
They sound better, but right now I have no time to play with. It is just postponed. 
Thanks for your help.

Ben