JRiver MC19 and WIndows Startup

shadowlight

JRiver MC19 and WIndows Startup
« on: 17 Feb 2014, 02:19 am »
Hello,

Need some help in getting JRiver startup when Windows start up.  I have tried all three options but I am unable to connect to it via JRemote unless I log on to the server.  I am using eval version of Windows 2012 R2 with JRiver MC19.  I even reinstalled the OS and MC19 and still having the same issues.  I want to be able to use JRemote without logging on to the system.

TIA

dminches

Re: JRiver MC19 and WIndows Startup
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2014, 06:09 pm »
When you boot up Win Server 2012 R2 does it automatically log you into windows?

Also, what option have you set in jriver to automatically load jriver when windows starts?

shadowlight

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2014, 06:25 pm »
When you boot up Win Server 2012 R2 does it automatically log you into windows?

Also, what option have you set in jriver to automatically load jriver when windows starts?

No automated login at windows startup.  Right now I have Jriver set for Media server, but I had also tried media cent and server and just media center.  I thought running media server meant running it as services.   I do see it listed in services but it is set to start manually.  I changed it to autoatic which did not help.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2014, 07:26 pm »
Are you saying that you manually log into windows but after that jriver does not load?

I think all you need is media center.

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2014, 07:35 pm »
If I log into Windows JRiver automatically starts up just fine.  Want to avoid the log on process if I can but if that is not possible I will explorer the auto log on.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2014, 08:38 pm »
If I log into Windows JRiver automatically starts up just fine.  Want to avoid the log on process if I can but if that is not possible I will explorer the auto log on.

You just need to set up auto login.  That's how my server is set up.  When I power it on it logs into windows automatically and starts jriver.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2014, 09:34 pm »
There are a couple of way to autologon:

http://techsultan.com/autologin-on-windows-server-2012/

or using powershell:

If you want to enable Autologon, use autologon.reg or open PowerShell and enter these commands:

New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon' -Name AutoAdminLogon -Value 1

CurrentVersion\Winlogon' -Name DefaultUserName -Value "Administrator"

CurrentVersion\Winlogon' -Name DefaultPassword -Value P@ssw0rd

You have to replace P@ssw0rd with your actual password of course.

shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm »
JRiver's description is bit misleading if you have to log on to get it working.  It is no longer Windows Startup  :duh:

Thanks will make the changes and gives me incentive to try the Linux version  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm »
JRiver's description is bit misleading if you have to log on to get it working.  It is no longer Windows Startup  :duh:

Thanks will make the changes and gives me incentive to try the Linux version  :thumb:

??  How misleading.  JRiver has an option that asks you what you want to do at Windows startuo.  It can automatically start up when Windows does (assuming you have it set that way, which most of us do).  I hit power on my server and it starts WS2012, auto logs on, starts Jriver and anything else I have listed to start automatically. 

However, if you don't start Windows then JRiver can't start!  You have decided to have your Windows start with a log on password...not JRiver's fault Silverlight!

shadowlight

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm »
Ted,

For me Windows startup means when I power on my system the operating system starts up and any other services set to start automatically with out me logging on or automated user log on.  Will follow the information that you and David provide  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:45 pm »
So why do you use Windows Server 2012?  Its a server product and requires a logon!!  Again, this ain't a JRiver issue.  Once Windows finishes loading so will your automatic apps (inc JRIver's Media Server option).   I reiterate this because you started this thread and blame JRiver for not helping you logon to Windows.  I don't want others to get the wrong idea. 

shadowlight

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:28 am »
So why do you use Windows Server 2012?  Its a server product and requires a logon!!  Again, this ain't a JRiver issue.  Once Windows finishes loading so will your automatic apps (inc JRIver's Media Server option).   I reiterate this because you started this thread and blame JRiver for not helping you logon to Windows.  I don't want others to get the wrong idea. 

Ted,

I fully understand that it is a server product but that does not mean that you have to log on to start any of the applications provided they are setup as services.  For example, IIS, MSSQL, Logitech Media Server, etc are some of the services that I currently have running on other W2K8 server os boxes which does require me to log on to start and connect.  When I clicked on JRiver windows startup option it creates a service which is what threw me off along with the wording.

I am doing a lousy job of describing the issue.  I found something on JRivers Forum which is what I am trying to achieve - "Start MC19 Library Server as a Windows 8 Service (pre-login)?"

Thanks for your help

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:43 am »
Yes, Media Server is a Jriver option that has JRIver run as a Windows service (Runs efficiently, in the background, and can be started at Windows startup).  JRiver has had this for some time.  However, it can only start if Windows is fully started (just like things like Remote Desktop connection, etc).  So for headless servers you want to make sure WS2012 is using autologon so that Windows completes its startup.  That (autologon) is a Windows function.  Without it you must go to the Windows logon screen and type in your damn password every time (again, not something JRIver can assist you with).  This is impossible for those of us who have no real access to the Windows logon screen.  All of us who use headless Windows servers have to make sure we have invoked autologon in our Windows setup.  You are no different.   Your W2K8 boxes are ALREADY doing autologon; you are just not aware of it (which is how its supposed to be) but it was setup previously. 

shadowlight

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:35 am »
Ok Thanks

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:38 am »
Something I did was to bypass the password screen in my Windows Sever 2012 R2.
Used this article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015587/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-password-screen.html .
It works just the same with Windows Server 2012.
Then just set JRiver as Ted_b mentioned above.
If your using a two PC set up, your audio PC will need a user account that you can set up to access through Remote Desktop, just give the user account administrative rights.
Hope this helps.

AgentOrange

« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2014, 11:06 pm »
I have been playing with jriver on a couple systems for the last year.
It is OK, but as far as tune playback goes, I don't find the quality better than some freeware.