Altmenn BYOB clone

herby

Altmenn BYOB clone
« on: 16 Feb 2014, 01:19 pm »
Hi, does anybody know what chip is used in the BYOB amp. I have heard it is the TDA7374, but I am not convinced, I have been studying close ups of the BYOB amp and the pin outs don't tally up! especially the speaker outs. On the TDA7374 the output ins are on either end pins 1 and 2 and 14 and 15. But it looks like the outputs on the BYOB amp are from pins 2/3 and 6/7. Any ideas?

herby

Re: Altmenn BYOB clone
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2014, 06:55 am »
Ok, I bit the bullet and built the clone around the Tda 7374 ic. All parts solder directly onto the chip for shortest signal path.I wasn't expecting much  when I hooked it up to my homemade openbaffles, which consists of a 15" bass driver a 8" seas tv alnico mid, topped with a ribbon tweeter, the speakers have a spl of about 97. The source  I am currently using is a modified akm chipped dac, and it runs through a passive ldr pre amp board from tortuga audio. I have housed all 3 components in 1 box all connected via silver wire, so no interconnects to colour the sound. Like I say wasn't expecting much after all this chip only cost me 6pound. But  I was greeted to most expansive sound I have heard in my dedicated listen room, 3d imaging with notes heard over my shoulder,  decay of notes never heard before. I thought to myself what is going on this cant be true a 6 pound amp leaving my otl transcendent amp quaking on the rack and my tripath 2020 and 2024 amps hiding abeneath. I had to get my wife in to check I wasnt hallucinating, I played both amps blind for her, her verdict using her words the first one sounds muddy compered to the second one, and she was right not that anyone has called the transcendent amp muddy before. Feel free to respond on what is going on. Have I just hit on perfect synergy?  For now am going back to listen to my new wonder .
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2014, 08:39 pm by herby »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2014, 07:26 am »
You have any pics of your system.?

herby

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2014, 07:59 am »
Hi, yes I will upload some later  :thumb:

herby

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:18 am »

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:37 pm »
That toe in looks extreme. Are those sub amps inbetween?

I'm sure the Altman sounds good. I've heard it lacks in some serious areas. Especially for the price. Frankly I can't imagine paying that price for a cheap pot to smear all the good out of the music. If it's class D then it's probably an easy fix for good sound.

Either way I can't imagine why it costs more than $500. Maybe my imagination is limited. I did up a guitar in their resin method and it came out very nice, so I don't think they're full of BS or anything.

Maybe this guy can tell you what's up
. Looks like he made his worth a damn.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:54 pm »
Those speakers look to have some really nice potential. Very nice.

herby

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2014, 07:36 am »
I think you have miss read my post. I have not got a Altmann amp but have made a clone. And its wiping the floor with all my amps including the Meridian105 mono  blocks, which you mistook for subs. Plus its class ab not D. As for the toe in, that  was the result of lots of positioning, the speakers now disappear. I am now switching my attention to my dac, currently playing with a nos tda1543 .

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2014, 11:31 am »
Herby,

I like what you have done, so much of it is diy, using what you believe to be the best for your equipment and room.

You are a few steps ahead of me, still in the research phase. Hoping to build a set of OB speakers and a diy preamp soon.

Really nice.

herby

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2014, 11:56 am »
Hi, glad you like. I am really pleased with how the speakers turned out, they started out as folded wing ob to increase bass response, but I found in my room the bass output was fine without the wings. I think losing the wings has helped stereo imaging to. Later I am going to remove the top driver as I designed this speaker to work with my otl amp, and the seas mid drivers are only 4ohm so that is why I went for two and wired them in parallel to increase the independence to 8ohm. But since I made the byob clone the 4ohm load is not an issue,  so will drop it down to a single mid driver. I will take some pictures later after the changes   :wink:

herby

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:19 pm »

Rubbbq

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:11 pm »
Let's see a picture of the amp

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:24 pm »
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/187748-pushing-limits-tda1543-nos-dac.html

Perhaps the best 1543 that will ever be.

Sub amps, not subs.

I loked up the chip used by BYOB, popular opinion is other things best it.

You are using car battery? Perhaps your gear just needed some power conditioning.

herby

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:33 pm »
Sorry thought you meant subs. Yes I have been following that tda 1543 feature.  I have run new amp on both mains and battery with equally good results.

herby

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:09 pm »

New amp is to the right and the chip is hidden behind the input caps. In the middle is a ldr pre and dac board to the left.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2014, 05:29 pm by herby »