Amazing performance from the motherboard? What gives?

raysracing

Here is the quick back story.  I built a basic music server on windows 7/Jriver on a Asrock low end MB, Core i5, SSD HDD.  Music is on a USB 3.0 external 1TB Toshiba HDD. There is a Paul Pang USB inside with a linear power supply.  Thats it.  no other bells or whistles. After disconnecting the USB to DAC I plugged the ext. HDD into the 3.0 port on the Paul Pang.

BUT, I sold my DAC and just bought a tube amp and I wanted to hear my digital collection as well as my vinyl.  I was blown away by the server playing through my new amp. All the sweet adjectives we apply to our musical magic moments applies.  But here is the kicker.  I am playing out of the 3.5mm stereo jack on the motherboard direct to the amp through a POS 3.5mm to RCA cord.

What gives?  Ive never heard this good-no amazing sound out  of my 3.5mm of any computer.  I mean if I didnt know how amazing it will be when I get a new DAC and go back through the Paul Pang I swear I could live without a new DAC.  I swear. Golden ears no, but I think I know good sound stage, imaging and detail (micro-details too) when I hear it.

Could an Asrock cheap Motherboard have a decent DAC chip in it or one that happens to sound good? Is it Jriver?  I think it is this one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-DGS/

raysracing

Re: Amazing performance from the motherboard? What gives?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2014, 08:16 pm »
Nothing much here as it looks like the same old, same old RealTek HD codec. ftp://208.70.202.219/pc/audio/ALC662_DataSheet_1.3.pdf

RichPark

Re: Amazing performance from the motherboard? What gives?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm »
I know that this is an old thread but I just had to comment.  I too had a black plastic 3.5 mm to rcas and plugged it into my Asus z97-AR.  (http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97AR/).  This build has a ssd, 16 gb of memory, I5 processor, 8.1 and JRiver 19.  I set the dsd to upscale from 44.1 to 192 kHz and I am astonished.  It's not supposed to sound this good.  I would have to say that it rivals my stock Oppo BDP-83.  It is not as convenient thought.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2014, 06:20 pm by RichPark »