X-Sub x2

slosjo

X-Sub x2
« on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:30 am »
After completing my x-statik build, I was very happy with the sound but knew immediately that I would need a subwoofer to be completely happy with the system. 
Not wanting to spend a whole lot, I stumbled on the 8" non-servo thread.  After Danny talked me into buying two instead of one, here I am with a pair of x-subs.  Almost done, just need a few more coats of paint.
I did set them up before I started the finishing process for a day or two.  They sound great.  An amazing addition to the x-statiks.  I will hear a servo sub some day, but until then I'll just remain blissfully unaware of what I'm missing.
I estimate that I'm about $200 into them at this point, and that includes everything: amp, wood, paint, binding posts, etc.  Realistically, I probably only spent $35 dollars more building two than I would have spent building one. 

Some photos

All pieces ready to go

Cutting legs with my precision bench mounted cut-off tool (that's a curtain rod in case you're wondering)
I cut a shallow countersink in the base and on the bottom of the speaker for these to rest in with a paddle bit, and secured them with 4" lag bolts from the bottom.  The lags go through the base, through the rod, and into the bottom of the speaker.  It turned out to be very sturdy.

Glue.  There must be a better (faster) way to do this other than one at a time, but I have a touch of that O.C.D so everything must be square. 

AMP: A Yung SD300-6.  I will be wiring the subs in parallel so the amp sees 4 ohms and I'll get 300 watts.  I installed binding posts in each box for this purpose. 
The goods

Dry run

Hiding MDF joints.  If you read my x-statik build thread, you'll know that what I did there was a complete failure.  This time around, I'm going with the trenching method that I read about on a thread here on AC.  I used a 3/16" round router bit with an edge guide to carve out each joint, then proceeded to fill with bondo.  Hopefully this works because it was quite time consuming. 

Almost done

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: X-Sub x2
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:33 am »
slosjo,

Looks good. How far up from the bottom did you cut the opening for the amp?

Mike

cody69

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:59 am »
Nicely done, they look great. And at a very reasonable cost.
Please post back how these sound when you pair them with the x-statiks.
Interested how you feel about the bass with the 8" drivers.

IronForge

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:00 am »
Loving the look/design of those subwoofers.  Very classy looking and at the same time they look like they mean business.

slosjo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:13 pm »
Mike, I measured 1/2 inch down from the first piece that makes up the port.

pslate

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:57 pm »
Major props  :thumb: Also interested in hearing your impressions!

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:09 pm »
These look great.  You did a wonderful job and after you finish them, they will be very happy next to your x statics.

I have found that a heavy spray primer or roll on primer works very well on seams of mdf.  You do need to coat it and do some light sanding, but may save some time vs bondo

JP

skeeter99

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:35 pm »
Looks great! The X-Sub was my very first purchase on my road to insanity :) Two of them are going to be great. Can't wait to see the final product!

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2014, 04:50 pm »
Looking good   man,  nice job  :thumb:
Looking forward to seeing them all finished up

-jay

slosjo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:53 pm »
These look great.  You did a wonderful job and after you finish them, they will be very happy next to your x statics.

I have found that a heavy spray primer or roll on primer works very well on seams of mdf.  You do need to coat it and do some light sanding, but may save some time vs bondo

JP

Thanks.  Your comment about primer is interesting.  I tried a test piece with a butt joint and round over.  Primed with several coats of Campbell clawlock (high solids) and painted with 3 coats of oil based gloss.  Joint showed up after 3 days.  What kind of primer are you referring to?

slosjo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2014, 03:37 am »
All glossy.  Now one more coat and final assembly tomorrow.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
Hi  slosjo and all Audio Circle members.
Keep the pictures coming.
I've been following your project from the beginning and I like it.
Of course the picture of the finish product will be like the icing on the cake.

Guy 13

slosjo

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2014, 04:32 am »
I'm finally finished. 
They sound great, but also make it more evident that my room needs acoustic treatments.  There are very obvious bass hotspots.  I will play with the locations and see if I can minimize that in the listening area.
They give me all the bass I need for most of the music I listen to.  The bass sounds clean in some instances, but does get muddy under certain circumstances.  Some day I will know what servo bass sounds like, but for now these will do just fine.
Photos:

DeeJayBump

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:08 pm »
slosjo-

For best location of your subs, you can try the crawl test.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/subwoofercrawl

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

So in your case, perform the Crawl test with only one of the subs on & playing, place sub #1, then perform the Crawl test with sub #2 in your listening position and both subs playing, then place sub #2 in the location determined by the Crawl Test, and calibrate your system.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 08:12 pm by DeeJayBump »

slosjo

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:45 pm »
slosjo-

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

So in your case, perform the Crawl test with only one of the subs on & playing, place sub #1, then perform the Crawl test with sub #2 in your listening position and both subs playing, then place sub #2 in the location determined by the Crawl Test, and calibrate your system.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:34 am »
slosjo-

Some of that is kind of funny.

Please note that if you are running a sub up to 100Hz then you need to locate it within 5 feet of each speaker or it will sound disconnected from the main speakers.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:11 am »

Please note that if you are running a sub up to 100Hz then you need to locate it within 5 feet of each speaker or it will sound disconnected from the main speakers.

Those were two of the top video results of a Google search for the Sub Crawl Test. Linked them simply  to llustrate the sub crawl technique.

:D

slosjo

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:55 am »

I have them crossed with my x-statik pair right now at 70hz.  What do you recommend?

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:13 am »
I have them crossed with my x-statik pair right now at 70hz.  What do you recommend?

When we used some X-Statiks one year at RMAF I had a dual 12" servo sub that covered the bottom end and we set the crossover on the dial to 35Hz and got a real smooth blend.

It really depends on your room response. Remember you want to cross them over where they are 6db down.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:40 am »
When we used some X-Statiks one year at RMAF I had a dual 12" servo sub that covered the bottom end and we set the crossover on the dial to 35Hz and got a real smooth blend.

It really depends on your room response. Remember you want to cross them over where they are 6db down.

Danny,

Does this also hold true when blending the N3's with a 12" sealed servo sub or is the 6dB down point for blending with open baffle mains?

Mike