A setup for a small apartment, with a reason

FaithMac

A setup for a small apartment, with a reason
« on: 12 Feb 2014, 11:28 am »
Hello folks,

I live in a small 750sq. ft apartment with paper thin walls, so the kind of audio equipment I can use is very limited (i.e. low bass etc). So far I have been using Logitech S715i iPod Speaker dock (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Portable-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B003VANOI6) for my music needs.

Lately DS, age ~6YO, has been showing some audio sensitivity. I am consulting various medical professionals. One physician recommended us to play music in the background (like hotel lounge) so that he gets used to the background audio and it 'may' help with his sensitivities. But his suggestion was, the music must play in every room (including bathroom) so wherever he goes, he gets the exposure. The apartment is really small so streaming music should not be an issue, I looked into Sonos but I do not have appetite for something that just 'may' work and is pricey, at the same time, if I am investing money, I would like to have an upgradable system that I can enjoy when he is not home.

I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a setup on how I can do this for cheap. After going through this forum, I realized that I have absolutely no idea on basic audio system components, but I will be thankful if any one has suggestions on streaming music from NAS that is controlled from android phones, or anything else that I am not aware of. I tried bluetooth, but it doesn't work because the way apartment is designed.

Many thanks in advance.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: A setup for a small apartment, with a reason
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2014, 01:59 pm »
Welcome to AC.  I would suggest headphones for you and forget about making your son like something he doesn't.  If a doctor is telling you he needs music therapy that's something else, but to satisfy your own needs at his expense may be an unwise path that may have severe unintended consequences.

I recently downsized and while I can play my system, I've found headphone listening to be a fun and rewarding venture.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:57 pm »
Sonos equipment works magically.  It is very simple to use. 

If you decide to go that route please let us know.  They can be found used or through other means for under MSRP I am sure.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:27 pm »
The cheapest route would be to get self-contained Apple AirPlay wireless speakers which use WiFi.  The Pioneer XW-SMA1-K AirPlay speaker has 2 x 77mm drivers + 20mm tweeter ("tuned" by Andrew Jones!) + 2 x 10W amplifiers at a cost of only ~$85 per room.

For a room that needs bigger sound, an Airport Express and a pair of powered speakers would be an upgrade, but would run ~ $300 for something like an Airport Express and Audioengine A2+ speakers.

Many NAS devices have built-in iTunes Server applications with AirPlay speaker selection (Synology is one).  The only problem is their web based control apps are clumsy on a smartphone.

An easier to use interface would be to run iTunes on a PC or Mac, using the NAS only for storage, and then an Android iTunes Remote app, such as Remote for iTunes by Hyperfine, but of course that would require a computer also running with iTunes launched.

Their may be some other apps to control iTunes Server on a NAS, but I haven't looked into them.  Which NAS model do you have?

Steve

viggen

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2014, 06:20 pm »
A tivoli radio should fill the apartment with music without disturbing the neighbors.

It has a headphone jack style input, so you can hook up whatever source to it.

Plus, it's both AC and battery powered.  So, you can put it anywhere.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:10 pm »
Also, consider a receiver with a  zone 2 for additional  speakers or a 2ch receiver like this Onkyo which has A/B speakers for 2 sets of speakers

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8020&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2014, 08:51 pm »
I have a pair of Audioengine A2s that are paired with an Airport Express that have worked well for me. I have the same problem as you in regards to thin walls. There's enough mid bass to keep me happy, but not enough bass to annoy the neighbors as much as other speakers. I'd also suggest something with multiple zones.

I've dealt with audio sensitivity in the past. It eventually went away, but it took some time. Any chance you've been experiencing bouts of vertigo?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2014, 01:49 am »
I love my Logitech UE smart radio. $100 wireless internet streaming plus it can access all the music stored on your local network. Very satisfying sound, 6 hour battery, no deep bass to bother neighbors but plenty loud enough in my open design house.

FaithMac

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2014, 02:32 pm »
Thank you folks for all your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

A one piece I did not disclose on purpose, because that skews the whole conversation majority of the times. DS also has diagnosis of Autism, but he is rather high functioning in academics, yet can not converse like a 6 year old so it is very very difficult to find out what is really wrong. The life is made of trials. Stick with something that works and move on from something that does not work.

Letitroll98,
Your idea of headphone is very good. That is first what we tried. I got ear covering / noise canceling headphones for him and tried to expose to Brian Eno kind of music.  Then I tried classical like Mozart, Bach etc. A good variety of genre and BPM, but he would pull headphones out in less than a minute. Here, I didn't understand if he has audio sensitivity or he does not like feeling of headphones. He would not even put headphones without music (may be he felt that music was about to start!!). One thing though, he never covered his ears, which he started doing recently and we started getting consult.

tf121682,
Would love to know where can I find them used/less than MSRP. I do not want to shell out $500 upwards, but still good to have a back up if all other fails.

srb,
Thank you for the ideas. I do not understand much in it, but my router is up for upgrade. On other forum, I was suggested to get a router where I can hook up HDD to the router's USB and play music. I am getting a feeling that the set up you mentioned with Pioneer speaker is pretty similar to that. Running PC all the time is not an option. I am looking into those routers, if anyone has recommendation.

I.Greyhound Fan,
Your stuff looks little high end, still thanks for the information. I do have dream that DS eventually learns to play, listen and enjoy the music. If all goes well in future, this info will come handy.

viggen,
I really like those radios, but we do not listen to the radio and the speaker that I have is pretty good too, unless it has any other features that I am not aware of. Thanks for the idea though, worth investment if I need one more unit.

persisting1,
Audioengine A2 is just a box speaker, right? What sits between them and Airport Express? Apologies if it sounds very noob, but I really am.

JLM,
That could really work. Is there anything else similar to this one, like srb mentioned Pioneer wi-fi speaker.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2014, 02:45 pm »
I meant headphones for you.  With sympathy for your son's condition, if he doesn't want to listen to music why make him do so?  Again, unless a doctor has recommended music as therapy for him.

persisting1

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:12 pm »
I meant headphones for you.  With sympathy for your son's condition, if he doesn't want to listen to music why make him do so?  Again, unless a doctor has recommended music as therapy for him.

FaithMac, never worry about asking questions here. We don't mind  :thumb:

The Audioengines are powered speakers. They have an amp built into the speakers. All you need to do is plug the speakers into a source (Airport Express or something similar) and stream music from your computer/tablet. You can also use your smart phone as a remote.

viggen

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:37 pm »
Just another FYI, you can connect any source into the Tivoli radio.  CD player, mp3 player, computer, tablet... I bought one for my infant daughter to providing soothing music to help her sleep.  The sound is warm and full.  Very easy to listen to.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2014, 08:39 pm »
BTW regarding the Logitech UE smart radio; it also has a 3.5 mm output (suitable for headphones or powered/active speakers, analog input, and wired digital input. I considered an Apple Express for a long while before realizing that this would replace that plus include satisfactory speakers and controls. For casual listening it has replaced a full system of leftovers from old gear.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:33 am »
On ear type headphones so you can hear if he needs you and a bluetooth receiver like the Sony SH20 that you can use with any headphones that way you can move around freely...no cords is an option for you or both of you if he desires the music.

FaithMac

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2014, 08:57 pm »
Yes, he has been suggested audio therapy, something similar to Tomatis, if you know. The practitioner I talked to mentioned that the sensitivity can not be figured out for a few sessions and minimum cost of the session package is about $6000. Hence, this trick is for the physician (and us) to figure out what we are exactly dealing with. If he manages the 'lounge music' as the physician puts it, we can invest money in audio therapy.

Thanks persisiting 1, I will certainly look into those speakers.

eclein,
I am unable to find Sony headphones that you mention. Can you please check the model number again.