anyone seen the Sony 4K projector with HD content

jaydial

anyone seen the Sony 4K projector with HD content
« on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:37 pm »
I am reading a lot about the Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K projector.  Since it seems that native 4K content will continue to be sparse for quite some time, I wondering who has actually seen one of these in action with either 4K or upscaled HD content?  Just how good is it?  What screen have you seen it with?  Looking forward to hearing opinions before I plunk down the cash on one of these.  Thanks.

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: anyone seen the Sony 4K projector with HD content
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:09 pm »
I'm surprised to learn that anyone is considering plunking at this juncture. No content and early adopter pricing seem to be a couple of reasons to sit back and watch for a while.

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm »
Just last month I saw it perched up on a shelf in the Palo Alto/Stanford Sony store, which a walked through after noticing that they remodeled the entire store. The projector was not running, of course. but it was set up in the same space shared by Sony's 85in LED TV and surround system. though that area is not light controlled.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm »
I'm still on 2D.  I'm behind the times, but I've heard that 4k is realistically far in the future. There's no single standard as of yet.  There's very little to watch.  They won't have blurays until the end of this year, and you'll need a new bluray player.  Seems like an expensive proposition.

THROWBACK

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2014, 12:21 am »
Oh dopey me! I got sucked into one. On very HD content, the picture is outstanding. Trouble is, on non-HD content, the picture is very poor. I mean much worse than I had before with my 8-yr-old Panasonic 50" plasma.
Even after the ministrations of a pro TV adjuster, the picture is flat and not near bright enough. That describes me as well.
I would take it back if I could.
Don't do it.