Why Aurora/Arcus?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Why Aurora/Arcus?
« on: 11 Feb 2014, 04:37 pm »
That might be a somewhat cryptic subject line, but I'm not entirely sure what to put there.

I don't have any experience with that sort of speaker, so I wonder who would buy either of these speakers over your other offerings? Perhaps I don't mean 'who'; perhaps I should ask if they are better with particular kinds of music?

[I'm struggling here.]

What are the advantages or disadvantages of these two speakers over the Breeze/Stiff Breeze/Cirrus speakers?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Why Aurora/Arcus?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2014, 05:26 pm »
I have conversations just like this all the time on the phone, so good to answer here on the website that other may read in the future.

The Aurora and Arcus are both speakers with very specific target goals, and required unusual solutions to meet those goals. 

The Arcus - was conceived as a high sensitivity 2-way monitor with excellent detail and resolving capability, balanced top to bottom, and near unlimited dynamics.  This would fill a few gaps in the market - the vast majority of high sensitivity stuff available suffers from uneven frequency response issues which makes them very fussy, and only usable with good recordings.  The Arcus can handle anything with aplomb because of it's balance, and still manages to take you deeper into the recording  with much more sweetness on top than single driver setups.  And second - the Arcus is also a speaker that can peel paint off the wall.  Seriously, of all our speaker the Arcus has more output capability than any.  It's tonality never changes depending on volume, and it never shows even the slightest hint of strain.  This of course makes it fantastic in a combo Home Theater/2-channel setup.  And it does all of this in a reasonable cabinet size that's stylish and built to withstand a 1 megaton blast. 

The Aurora - target with it was to create a 2-way monitor that gives very close to full-range performance and excellent dynamics.  The Aurora cabinet and stand were also to be very stylish, and design a shape that hides it's size.  The Aurora cabinet actually has more volume than the Arcus (almost 1.5cu/ft) although it doesn't look like it.  The curves camouflage it's size very well, just as they do with the Nimbus.  The biggest issue with the Aurora was finding a dome tweeter we could live with, most are just plan lifeless and boring after becoming accustomed to our RAAL implementations.  It took over a year of testing numerous high end dome tweeters before we came across the ceramic dome tweeter we're using now.  It comes from a company much like us, small batch and made by hand, overbuilt to the n'th degree.  And then we had to have some custom waveguide profiles made, and did so using rapid prototyping to find one that worked best with the tweeter chosen.  End result with the Aurora is a speaker that has authority and impact on bottom, excellent midrange transparency, and plenty of sweetness on top.  It's a very balanced speaker that presents itself with authority and class.  It also has a very wide sweet spot and is somewhat more forgiving of bad rooms. 

With both the waveguides were only chosen to meet our target goals, which necessitated low crossover point in order to blend with larger woofers.  The waveguides were NOT chosen because we're controlled directivity zealots, in fact our RAAL designs have incredibly even power response, so there's no need to incorporate controlled directivity.  The waveguides just allow lower crossover points with less distortion, those are the benefits and very real ones.  Waveguides however also introduce energy storage, which we've tried to minimize as much as possible. 

The question I get all the time is how does the Aurora compare to the Stiff Breeze?  Well, they are very competitive brothers.  The Aurora is better looking and comes with stands, it's also a bespoke design and fully customizable at no extra cost because it's made by hand to order already.  The Stiff Breeze comes in a pre-manufactured cabinet that we modify to bring up to our stands, extensive internal mods and addition of our time-aligned and much stronger baffle.  Because the SB comes in pre-made cabinets, there are only 3 finish options - and if you want custom finish it adds significant cost.  In terms of performance they both have their strong points, the Aurora has authority and weight on bottom and the SB has deeper resolving capability.  The SB is easier to place in a room, but the Aurora once placed properly throws a very wide sweet spot.  They're both of similar sensitivity and both can be driven with as little as 25 watts. 

Like everything in our lineup, the SB and Aurora sound more alike than different.  Everything we do sounds similar because it's all voiced by one set of human ears - mine.  So with every design it's my ears that decide when they're 'right'.  But of course they have different capabilities and different form factor. 

Also wanted to say that the Arcus is the most fun speaker in our lineup, those just flat out kick butt!  They never falter, and rip through any music you throw at them ... at any volume.  They can do delicate audiophile recording, or they can do face peeling metal!  They're just a lot of fun

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2014, 01:54 am »
Now that's good info! Thank you.

A couple more questions:

How forgiving is either of close proximity to the wall behind since they are rear ported? Can either be altered to allow a front port? If either can be front ported, can the port be shaped like the port in the Nimbus?

What sort of center channel would mate well with either if used in an HT system?

Thank you.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2014, 02:17 am »
Now that's good info! Thank you.

A couple more questions:

How forgiving is either of close proximity to the wall behind since they are rear ported? Can either be altered to allow a front port? If either can be front ported, can the port be shaped like the port in the Nimbus?

What sort of center channel would mate well with either if used in an HT system?

Thank you.

Glad I answered your questions ...

The Aurora is bottom ported, the Arcus is rear but yes it could be built with a front slot port like the Nimbus.  Both I would say are more forgiving than typical of near wall placement due to controlled directivity, but near wall placement isn't ideal with ANY speaker.  That's a bit of a general statement, caveats of placement regarding boundaries is something that would be worthy of it's own thread.  Some speakers are designed to rely on walls to reinforce their in-room bass response, but even in those cases the near-wall placement results in everything above 200hz suffering. 

We have a matching center channel for the Arcus.  It has one flat side with the baffle tilted back 7 degrees so that it will angle upward for below screen placement.  And an Aurora center channel could easily be made, use the same baffle and waveguide but turn it horizontal and place it in a rectangular box to be placed on it's side. 

We can build a matching center channel for anything in our lineup. 

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:20 am »
Oops. My bad. I should have included the probable distance to the wall. In the HT setup, there are sizable WAF issues in play, so the speakers would be no more than 14" from the wall and about 8' apart. The listening position is 10' away.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2014, 06:23 am »
Oops. My bad. I should have included the probable distance to the wall. In the HT setup, there are sizable WAF issues in play, so the speakers would be no more than 14" from the wall and about 8' apart. The listening position is 10' away.

Either will work that distance from the wall, shouldn't be any issue ... and like I said we can also front port the Arcus if desired just to make sure.