Software to organize images

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Software to organize images
« on: 5 Feb 2014, 06:34 pm »
Looking for help. A local medical practice is looking for an imaging filing software that will NOT allow image manipulation.  They only want to sort by symptoms, body parts, etc.

They asked about "Major Tom"  :scratch: software, but I have no background in this area.  Reasonably-priced suggestions, please.

'brick

Photon46

Re: Software to organize images
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2014, 07:16 pm »
I presume (?) they are viewing and filing DICOM images, the medical standard for images like MRI's, ct scans, etc.  The link is to a page that has a list of viewer resources half way down the page.

www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/mricro/dicom/

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2014, 07:39 pm »
Not sure, but I'll ask.  Thanks!

Bob

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2014, 08:58 pm »
Update:  All the images they want to sort are jpegs.  Does this make it easier to use a consumer-oriented product, and if so, which one(s)?

Thanks!

Bob

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:14 am »
Bob, here's a link to a recent review of ten photo organizing software offerings that are affordable. A quick check of the specs looks like all of them have some minimal image adjustment features. It may be tough to find consumer oriented image organizing software with no adjustment features at all, that strikes me as a product with very limited appeal. Why is the office so set on having no adjustment features? Fear of employees mucking up the data base perhaps? I hope that their office is performing regular data backups, depending on one hard drive means it's a matter of when, not if,  they lose data. If they are backing up their image files, they will have a fall back catalog in case an employee does adjust something that shouldn't have been touched.

One other possibility that might possibly be adapted to their needs is "Stockview" offered by Hindsight ltd. This is primarily oriented to professional management of image libraries such as a stock photography agency might have, but might serve a medical office as well. It is $200, so price is getting up there. However, no image manipulation features are offered with Stockview (other than resizing,) so take that into consideration. Hindsight also offers a cool program, "Metamachine," for adding metadata to image files, that might also be of use to them, depending on what strategfy they eventually adopt.

http://www.hindsightltd.com/

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:49 am »
This list is pretty good.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/10-free-photo-managing-software-you-should-at-least-know/

Picasa, Irfranview, Faststone, and XnView are some of names on the list I have heard of. FastPictureViewer is another choice.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:04 am »
I'm guessing in case of a medical dispute they can prove they didn't modify the images.  But it beats the heck out of me how you would prove it.  :scratch:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:21 am »
iPhoto, which comes with most Macs, i believe, keeps copies of the original files even if you modify them (which creates a copy). Modification capabiliries are minimal. I'd think that being able to adjust things like constrast & brightness might be helpful in bringing out some details.

dave

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:26 am »
I use iPhoto, but I am still not sure of their reasons.  The info is getting to me via doctor to clinic manager to nurse to me......... :scratch:

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:35 am »
Why would the medical practice want to use a separate software product for images other than their own electronic medical record system?

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:47 am »
Dunno.    :scratch:  I'll ask for more info.

My wife is a consultant who trains clinics and hospitals how to use electronic health records.