Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

steve in jersey

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #120 on: 15 Mar 2014, 01:33 pm »
Flinn, I for some reason had forgotten your mentioning the app listing your player & it
having an address underneath it. Did you try opening up the app before you had confirmation
the music transfer was completely done & your computer was done communicating w/ the
Z1.

My guess is your network is giving the app the player & address but nothing else because it
thinks the Z1 is still "busy" (which it may have been). The Z1 music transfer probably locks
out everything but the communication to where ever it is expecting the files to come from
until it thinks it has everything . Steven Stone mentions that this function takes a good deal of
time the initial time it is run.

I think the important thing may be that the computer that you used to do your transfer is'nt "live"
in the network loop when you try the app w/ the Z1 .

flinn

« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:31 pm »
I have about 400 tracks left to transfer as I type so I will know soon. I too suspect that is the problem.  The transfer software works great. Over 6500 tracks have transferred without a hitch which is impressive.  Thanks to everyone for the input. I will report back as soon as my transfer finishes. I am completely satisfied with the sound of the  unit so far. I bought it to replace a Sony SCD-777ES which has been having some difficulty reading the SACD layer in hybrid discs, and the server already sounds every bit as good, and I won't have to deal with the glacial loading time of the 777ES anymore! 

OzarkTom

« Reply #122 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm »
I just picked my Sony up at the Post Office and will be setting it up later today. Since I am a computer dummy, is their a way to hook up a LAN cable to my Mac Mini for the transfer?

flinn

« Reply #123 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:56 pm »
Yes. There is a LAN port on the Sony. They include a short cable.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #124 on: 15 Mar 2014, 03:04 pm »
I just picked my Sony up at the Post Office and will be setting it up later today. Since I am a computer dummy, is their a way to hook up a LAN cable to my Mac Mini for the transfer?

Tom,

I will be very interested in you comparisons between the Mac Mini and the Sony unit, I have been following a few of these Sony threads with great interest.

Greg

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #125 on: 15 Mar 2014, 03:58 pm »

I think you need an Ethernet "crossover"
cable to directly connect from computer to
Z1ES. 

That is what I did and it works and transfers
a little faster this way.

steve in jersey

« Reply #126 on: 15 Mar 2014, 04:17 pm »
Flinn,

I'm kind of surprised you are able to play music from the Z1 while the music is still be transferred (& wonder if it might be slowing down the process a bit). While the player obviously is able to do this, I don't know
that I'd ask the Z1 to "multitask"just yet. 

While the Z1 is able to do so many things on the "fly"when it is in a completed operational state, it may not
work as efficiently before it is able to confirm "all it's ducks in a row"

The Sony has computer like functioning but only to a degree. When people are asked to multitask & conflicts
arise they decide what best to do based on logic. A component that is almost a PC may not react as "calmly".
it will ignore one request over another or get stuck in an operational loop (& we all "love" it when after countless minutes of twiddling our thumbs we realize what happened & have to reboot. Fortunately components don't react like this....that I'm aware of.)

steve in jersey

« Reply #127 on: 15 Mar 2014, 04:57 pm »
Vinnie,

Is this Ethernet crossover cable any different than the "Monster Cable" Ethernet cable that's been around
for awhile & that I'm using with my Auraliti PK 100 to my router ?

(I may take a ride over to just outside of Phila.,Pa to check out the Z1. I really have no complaints w/ my
Auraliti setup. It may be some of the best PCM I've heard (through my Metrum Hex DAC , but PCM needs
a great DAC to sound less like PCM) (I have to chuckle at people who talk about preserving the "native" bit
rate sound of their higher Rez PCM music files... DSD sounds closer to analog sound to me . I like analog.
Hi Rez PCM sounds like....well Hi Rez PCM to me. The "air" in DSD does'nt draw attention to itself on a consistent basis. It's not "air" you are hearing if you can hear it regardless of the amplitude of the notes being
played . "Air" is'nt naturally "excited" by softly played notes)

Sorry for the Soapbox rant, let me see if I can take that trip today.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #128 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:15 pm »
Hi Steve,

If you want a direct connection from
computer to Z1ES, you need an Ethernet
Crossover Cable.  This is not something
that you connect to a router.

Or you can connect via standard Ethernet
cables via a router.

srb

« Reply #129 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:17 pm »
Most later Macs including the Mac Mini have an Auto-MDIX Ethernet interface which automatically detects and switches so that either straight-through or crossover cables can be used.

Here is a list of Apple and Mac products that have Auto-MDIX:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2274

Most PCs in the last 10 years also have Auto-MDIX Ethernet, but of course there are exceptions.

Steve

flinn

« Reply #130 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:39 pm »
Steve

I did play music and it probably was not a good idea. In fact, I had the internet radio on during a good bit of the transfer. I suspect it did slow things down because my transfer took over 30 hours.  I have stopped listening. My transfer is complete and the player has been "updating database" for the last couple of hours.  I'm going to leave it alone and hope everything works out. I doubt I did the transfer in the best or quickest manner, but there's not much in the way of instructions included.    By the way I spoke twice with Sony support and I don't think the persons I spoke with even understand what the HAP-Z1ES is or does. 

steve in jersey

« Reply #131 on: 15 Mar 2014, 07:39 pm »
Hi Steve,

If you want a direct connection from
computer to Z1ES, you need an Ethernet
Crossover Cable.  This is not something
that you connect to a router.

Or you can connect via standard Ethernet
cables via a router.
okay , in other  words I can just disconnect the Ethernet cable that I have running from my Computer
to my router( I leave my Computer wired & use my wireless connection for my IPA) & just run the  cable directly to the Z1 for the Music transfer as this program is embedded on the player ? (I'm being lazy instead of "Go ogling" Ethernet "Crossover" cable).

Is that the "gist" of things ? Then after the transfer I could remove the PC to Z1 Ethernet to the Original system config. &  then use one of my "Monster Cable" Ethernets to connect the Z1 to the router or move the
cable running from the Computer > Z1 to Router > Z1 .There does'nt appear to be any reason to maintain the Computer to Z1 connection after the initial setup & music transfer. Additional music transfers should be no
problem handled over a wireless connection as the amount of files should'nt  be that burdensome. While the Z1 to your router connection is necessary if you use a tablet to control the Z1.

Call me old fashioned ,but if I have a choice between keeping a Computer connection in my music system for the
convienence of occasional use & has no functional reason to be included to the system "it's outta there"

My trip to go check out a HAP - Z1ES did'nt happen today as I'm not feeling that great today ! Maybe someday
this week or next Saturday I'll go check one out !

steve in jersey

« Reply #132 on: 15 Mar 2014, 09:13 pm »
My bad there does appear to be specific differences between patch & crossover cables. (Sorry , to waste thread space over Computer accessory marketing NONSENSE)

Rather than check the wire color pattern sequence on the ends of the connectors ( nonsense), it would be nice
if they computer advisors could say this Category Ethernet cable is crossover & this Cat is not.

I'm guessing Cat. 6 is crossover but I'm not sure. 

I'll have to take a ride over to Staples & play a friendly game of "Devil's Advocate" with a sales clerk to get the scoop on this. 

If you are someone who embraces the influence of today's "Computer Culture " people are willing to endure small indignities to be part of that culture. The rest of us will always be considered as unworthy of anything
approaching a basic level of patience & respect  because we have'nt kept pace with the cyber world learning
curve.

Hey even the dinosaurs may have had a higher level of respect,but they are extinct. ( like many of us today will soon be)

I'll try to stop wasting any more space today with non-audio related observations.

srb

« Reply #133 on: 15 Mar 2014, 09:29 pm »
I'm guessing Cat. 6 is crossover but I'm not sure.

Cat5, Cat5E and Cat6 progressively provide greater speed, bandwidth as well as reduced crosstalk and interference (via more twists per inch per twisted pair).

Cat5   100 megabit Ethernet up to 100MHz bandwidth
Cat5e  1 gigabit Ethernet up to 100MHz bandwidth
Cat6   10 gigabit Ethernet up to 250MHz bandwith

The Cat version does not indicate straight-through or crossover wiring.  As I mentioned previously, the majority of modern computers have Auto-MDIX meaning you can use straight-through or crossover Cat cables between computers or computer to router, hub or switch provided one of the devices has Auto-MDIX ports.

Steve

steve in jersey

« Reply #134 on: 15 Mar 2014, 09:49 pm »
Thanks, for that.

So the Cat # only indicates speed capability , huh

So , Vinniie is a normal guy like the rest of us ! ( Does the Computer Culture Secret Information Society realize
you hand out this kind of useful information ?)

flinn

« Reply #135 on: 15 Mar 2014, 10:29 pm »
Fortunately I was able to connect with remote app after my transfer finished. I did have to restart my router and the Sony, but it then connected.  I suppose the better course is not to play tracks or try the remote app while the transfer is taking place.   There are several tracks preloaded, including some DSD, which you can listen to before doing the transfer if you just want to hear the player out of the box. They also include a flash drive with some other tracks on it, and a link to discounts on some hi rez downloads. Now that I have completed my transfer, I see that there is also a tutorial on the flash drive on how to transfer tracks from a computer to the Sony.   

steve in jersey

« Reply #136 on: 15 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm »

Glad to hear that things are finally up & running. What's that Old Saying "Good things come to he who waits"
but I bet there probably was'nt exciting new Tech Toys around to try out when they coined this saying !

Very cool ! Enjoy your player & let everyone know how things are coming along & in the process "pay the
tips" back to othets.

These forums work best as a community effort of positive advice, not " my system is better than yours because I spent more, so that makes me the expert"

Don't forget us. "We love you man" !  :thumb:

(Would have been nice if you knew the flash drive had a tutorial on it though!)

flinn

« Reply #137 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:53 am »
Thanks again Steve. I'm going to read all the online information and will certainly report back after I'm familiar with everything.

smargo

« Reply #138 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:06 am »

(Would have been nice if you knew the flash drive had a tutorial on it though!)

i know i have said this at least 3 or 4 times on this thread - but there is a learning curve - its not hard though

use the flash drive that comes with the sony - it tells you exactly how everything is done and  it saves you from going aploplectic

or alternatively this is the link with the info that is exactly the same as the flash drive

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/homeav/Hi-Res_Audio/HAPZ1ES_guide/en/contents/TP0000221999.html - just explore the different links within it!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #139 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:24 am »
Most later Macs including the Mac Mini have an Auto-MDIX Ethernet interface which automatically detects and switches so that either straight-through or crossover cables can be used.

Here is a list of Apple and Mac products that have Auto-MDIX:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2274

Most PCs in the last 10 years also have Auto-MDIX Ethernet, but of course there are exceptions.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Never knew they have that Auto-MDIX feature.  I don't think it worked with my Macbook (about 4 years old - the last one they made with the black casing).  So I just took the Ethernet cable Sony provided and switched the wiring to make a crossover cable.  Definitely faster than wifi, but I didn't compare to the speed of a wired connection to the router because the router is not in a convenient location for that.  I think the router does
the equivalent of the wire swapping that I did, but inside the router via IC's.  Not sure if there is any noticeable loss from that.

I did play music and it probably was not a good idea. In fact, I had the internet radio on during a good bit of the transfer. I suspect it did slow things down because my transfer took over 30 hours.  I have stopped listening. My transfer is complete and the player has been "updating database" for the last couple of hours.

Hi flinn,

I manually choose the music folders that I want to load in.  There is so much on my computer library that I barely listen to, so I figure if I do later want to listen to those albums, I'll manually add them when I want them.  I don't want too much clutter on this thing (famous last words!).  Loading one album is quick.  Loading hundreds of albums take a long time (over 24 hours is possible, so I've read... especially the Hi Res PCM and DSD's). 

or alternatively this is the link with the info that is exactly the same as the flash drive

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/homeav/Hi-Res_Audio/HAPZ1ES_guide/en/contents/TP0000221999.html - just explore the different links within it!

Hi Smargo,

Thanks - I'll add that to my thead on the RWA forum... on the first post so it is there for reference.  Overall, I find the player to be very intuitive
to use and it was also easy to connect via the Ethernet cable, and to the WiFi. 

I suppose the better course is not to play tracks or try the remote app while the transfer is taking place. 

I haven't run into problem when transferring music and playing music already loaded at the same time.  It could be because I only transfer 10 or 20 albums at a time.  Or perhaps it was a fluke when it failed?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Just curious if it is known issue. 

So , Vinniie is a normal guy like the rest of us !

Yeah, just like you guys.  I'm NORMAL.  NORMAL I SAY!!!!!!  :duh:  :banghead:   :cyclops:   :dunno:

:green: