Stereo Stratos vs. Stratos Plus vs. Stratos Extreme

hifimojo04

« on: 12 Aug 2004, 02:52 am »
I've actually decided to go with 2 channel for now, instead of getting the HT3.  I will save $2k or so for using HT in phantom mode and optimize my system for music.  It actually sounds better since my current stereo pair is much better quality than my center.

Anyway, for the 2 channel stereo stratos, what are the differences between the Stratos, the Stratos Plus, and the Stratos Extreme.  

I'm pretty sure I'll get the Stratos Plus.  However, has anyone heard the Stratos Plus vs. the Stratos Extreme?  Is it worth the extra money?  What is the difference?  Getting dual mono or mono pairs is stretching my budget too much, and I absolutely don't have room for two cases.  

Thanks!

KarlDL

« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2004, 03:56 am »
I began this journey through Odyssey product with a used Stratos Plus about 10 months ago.  It's been a Stereo Extreme for the past 7 months and may go to Mono Extreme configuration in a month or two.  Deja vu, as it started out as a Monoblock with its original owner.

Overall, I was pleased with the Extreme upgrade.  It provided more low-end authority and seemed to add just a tad more midrange clarity.  Some might find the difference minimal, especially if one's tastes tend to music without much bottom end.  Would I do it again?  Certainly!

Upon its return from Indy, I found the LF performance to be, well, stunning.  Perhaps that observation was colored by an energy-starved substitute amp while the Stratos was away (said amp was subsequently rebuilt and now is much closer to the Stratos ... except on the bottom).  We enjoy pipe organ (along with many other musical genres) and noticed less intermodulation by strong pedals after the upgrade.

Depending on your speaker efficiency, a pair of Khartago monoblocks might be an interesting alternative - talk to Klaus!

Musky_Don

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2004, 04:25 am »
I'm just a little buzzed, so take my comments seriously - IMO buy as much amp from Klaus as you can afford.   I have owned the monos and extreme monos.  I originally wanted the stratos -after talking w/Klaus, I realised upgrades were going to happen, might as well jump in from the start.  Buy what you can afford - the product is very good, have patience, see what you can slide by your wife.  :rotflmao:  Good luck.