Carolina Audio Society "Audio Crawl"

claud

« on: 11 Aug 2004, 10:15 pm »
CAS will hold it's annual audio crawl on September 19th in Charlotte. For those of you not familiar with the term, At an audio crawl, the members/visitors/guests can go to 3 or four houses of CAS members and listen to their systems.
This is lots of fun and informative. If you can remember how your system sounds like most of us, It gives you an idea of your systems strengths and weaknesses.
I have missed this event the last two years which pisses me off because I was the CAS planning committee member who thought it up.
If all goes well, I will be taking Inscrutable and have room for two more ACs from the Triangle.

claud

« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2004, 08:21 pm »
It is this Sunday!!! Anyone want a ride from Raleigh Cary Area? You do not have to be a CAS member. Inscrut isn't, and he is riding with me.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2004, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: claud
It is this Sunday!!! Anyone want a ride from Raleigh Cary Area? You do not have to be a CAS member. Inscrut isn't, and he is riding with me.

I'd love to go... but I'm going to be occupied this weekend.... and I actually have one of the CAS guys coming up my way on Saturday.

I have a ton of stuff backed up that needs to get done as well.......

thanks for the offer though...  it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun....

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2004, 10:36 am »
Claud,
Up until last night it looked like I had a conflict developing, but I think it may be cleared up now.  I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Any other takers?

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2004, 12:49 pm »
Say "Hi" to Guenther for me when you get to his place. He's got the big Montana setup with monstrous speakers in a very nice room. Definitely listen to some big symphonic stuff there (like Dvorak's 8th or something similar) - there's nothing quite like big speakers playing big music. However, on solo piano they also sound like a real piano is being played in the front corner. Nice setup.

Enjoy,
Bob

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2004, 02:37 pm »
I wish I could make this... in-laws in town.. and I've been working ridiculous hours lately... so, thing keep piling up... ugh.  Next time...

-C

Bombaywalla

Anybody going from Greensboro, NC for the CAS Crawl?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2004, 08:43 pm »
Hi!
I was thinking about going to the CAS Crawl this Sunday & was wondering if anyone was driving from Greensboro, NC (where I live) & wanted to car-pool? Thanks!

claud

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2004, 07:58 pm »
Turned out not as good as our AC meets here in the Triangle.
One house with decent HT system, a nice tube system (845s) that did not work and a decent sounding system with floor standing homemade speakers shoehorned into a 8x10 office.
House 2 had great Montana speakers, custom PMC(?) electronics, one of those Cal changers for a source, and an Origin Live Soverign TT with Dynavector cart that blew a fuse when cued up.
I did buy a very nice Hickock 752 tube tester from the Prez though.

Stercom

Audiocrawl
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2004, 12:47 am »
Claud, sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. Wasn't trying to impress just show people my system(s) and meet people with similar interests.

claud

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2004, 08:14 pm »
Stercom,
 I did enjoy myself as I always do when I have some time to talk with fellow HT/ Audiophiles. I also enjoyed the live piano. It was just that both houses had the potential for more. I would have loved to hear house one's tube system(yours?). I also would have killed to hear the Origin Live TT source in house 2. Since you are located in Charlotte, you have the support of the other CAS members to assist you in getting the tube system tweaked in. I would like to hear it next time I'm up for a CAS meeting.
The AC meets we have had are somewhat different in nature. Lots of different equipment, speakers and wires with some treated listening rooms. The rooms are not much larger than your office. Most of the speakers are stand mounted though. You should attend one. Let me know if I can help.
claud

Stercom

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2004, 11:33 pm »
The tube amps are fixed. They were built by an audiophile from Asheville who was at the crawl. I am out of the state on business next week but we are going to be auditioning them the week after - let us know if you want to come. The speakers in my office were Swan Allures without the veneer maybe thats why you thought they were homemade. As to my office being too small I totally agree! but with three small children that is the best place for the system for now.  Hope we didn't scare you away. There are many quality systems in the Charlotte area which simply weren't on the crawl this time.

claud

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2004, 02:04 pm »
To see what I mean about the difference in AC vs CAS meeting styles, please check carlman's latest post and photo gallery of the 9/25 meeting. I'm always happy just to get together with other guys with the same addiction to audio.

Stercom

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2004, 06:31 pm »
I see what you mean. Looks like you audition a lot of different equipment at the same sitting. Our crawls, at least since I've been a member, are simply to show each other our systems. A lot can be learned from going through a number of speakers, wires, amps, etc in one sitting.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2004, 07:40 pm »
Stercom,

You (or any of the CAS crew) are more than welcome to come up for any of our meets.  I think I'll be hosting near the end of October (see the 'October anyone?' thread).  Claud was talking of hosting once his new room was ready.  

I can see the value in both kinds of meets.  With a lot of equipment, you get caught up in the gear, and lose sight of the music.  I'd like a meet sometime where we just brought different music to share on more or less the same rig (perhaps a couple switchouts).

claud

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:12 pm »
The AC members tend to be younger folks who are upgrading their systems. They are looking for the best bang for the buck. We are also blessed with hometheaterdoc as a member. He is just as rabid an audiophile as the rest and carries a lot of nice equipment he is willing to bring to meetings to compare with other stuff. He also has a very nice HT setup in a treated room that I consider state of the art. For the most part, CAS members are not into HT. I'll bet you and I are the only active CAS members that have an HT of any sort. You might want to follow this meeting activity and attend an AC meeting. Inscrut's is shapping up to be a duzzie, and I am sorry to have missed carlman's. PM me if you need directions, a guide to meet you etc.

Stercom

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:37 pm »
Will do. thanks