Avid Pulsus Review

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Avid Pulsus Review
« on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:30 pm »
Hey folks,

Just posted my review of the Avid Pulsus!

You can check out the review here on YouTube http://youtu.be/ECkZUFRzfko

Thanks!

-Ron
newrecordday.com -vinyl reviews and more

roscoeiii

Re: Avid Pulsus Review
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2014, 05:24 pm »
Great review. I really liked the Pulsus a lot when I had one. I gave a lot of thought to a JC3 when I was shopping for a new phono preamp, so great to hear your comparison of the two. Look forward to hearing how it compares to the new JC3+.

I totally agree that the bass on the Pulsus was super impressive. Was shocked at how good those unassuming little boxes sounded. I've said this before, but I was shocked at how much better the Pulsus was than the SimAudio 5.3LP with optional external power supply. Not a "different flavor" sort of thing, like it sounds like the Pulsus and JC3 are, but quite an across the board improvement. Though some/all of this could very well be due in part to my using the 5.3LP single ended instead of balanced.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2014, 05:53 pm »
Can't seem to find it on your website or on AC. What does the rest of your system look like right now?

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2014, 11:38 pm »
Can't seem to find it on your website or on AC. What does the rest of your system look like right now?

Hey roscoeiii,

Rogue Audio Cronus Mag kt120s
Anthony Gallo 3.1s

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:26 am »
And the turntable and cart?

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2014, 01:34 am »
And the turntable and cart?

Ah yeah, of coarse! Pro-ject rm5-se (sumiko #2)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2014, 02:34 pm »
Hi Ron,
Thanks for posting your review.  It's more interesting, at least for me, than the JC3 review where you spent a lot of time justifying to the MP3/download  crowd.  I think they are no longer your audience for something like this.  I noticed this is also shorter and you said more about comparative qualities.  The part about roundness/bass response vs transient response/accuracy was more insightful than an entire review in some magazines. 

You only have 10 minutes or so, and maybe you could say less about the wonder of a separate power supply, and more about sound qualities?  I mean this in a positive way.  It already seems like you're going in that direction.  This brings up another point.  It also seems like you're outgrowing your record player.  Maybe you could get a trial of some other, more expensive hi performance models.  Gee, that sounds like fun.
neo

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2014, 02:49 pm »
Hi Ron,
Thanks for posting your review.  It's more interesting, at least for me, than the JC3 review where you spent a lot of time justifying to the MP3/download  crowd.  I think they are no longer your audience for something like this.  I noticed this is also shorter and you said more about comparative qualities.  The part about roundness/bass response vs transient response/accuracy was more insightful than an entire review in some magazines. 

You only have 10 minutes or so, and maybe you could say less about the wonder of a separate power supply, and more about sound qualities?  I mean this in a positive way.  It already seems like you're going in that direction.  This brings up another point.  It also seems like you're outgrowing your record player.  Maybe you could get a trial of some other, more expensive hi performance models.  Gee, that sounds like fun.
neo

Neo,

Thanks for the observations and I appreciate the feedback. These reviews have been a learn-as-I-go process and these kinds of comments are invaluable in helping me understand who my audience is and what they want to hear. I really do appreciate it man!