What Term Should I be Using?

Mag

What Term Should I be Using?
« on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:35 am »
In the past when I'm seriously listening to music, I've used the term 'critical listening'. I confess that I usually have the TV on with the sound muted. But I'm focused on the enjoying the music. To truly be critical listening the TV should be off as I know visual sensory clouds the audio sensory. If I'm listening from upstairs then I'm no longer 'critical listening' as the music is now in the background.

However using the term 'critical listening' may have been confused with analyzing equipment such as speakers an amps, etc..

What term should I have been using so as not to be confused with analyzing gear & equipment? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: What Term Should I be Using?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:40 am »
Thats a good one MAG as I find it difficult sometimes to appreciate what I am listening too because I am assessing as I go - not in my car though so maybe its my expectations determine my enjoyment for me :scratch:

james

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2014, 01:02 am »
Well, it's kinda your job to assess equipment. I assess equipment when I'm thinking of upgrading and trying to determine the weakest link.

I'm pretty content with what I got so I can sit back and just enjoy. I am thinking though about the Model T and how that is going to sound in my room. Going to move my Paradigm Studio 100 v2 to the corners, but I'm thinking maybe this is going to be overkill. Perhaps the mini T's would be better for my room in the corners supplementing the Studios?

veloceleste

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:17 pm »
In the past when I'm seriously listening to music, I've used the term 'critical listening'. I confess that I usually have the TV on with the sound muted. But I'm focused on the enjoying the music. To truly be critical listening the TV should be off as I know visual sensory clouds the audio sensory. If I'm listening from upstairs then I'm no longer 'critical listening' as the music is now in the background.

However using the term 'critical listening' may have been confused with analyzing equipment such as speakers an amps, etc..

What term should I have been using so as not to be confused with analyzing gear & equipment? :scratch:
You may have answered your own question. How about enjoyment?  When the music is the sole focus of your listening and elicits an emotional reaction then you are no longer listening critically to the equipment or analyzing the sound.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:42 pm »

No need to call it anything. I would think it confusing to the Ol brain if the TV is while listening.

charles

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2014, 05:22 pm »
You may have answered your own question. How about enjoyment?  When the music is the sole focus of your listening and elicits an emotional reaction then you are no longer listening critically to the equipment or analyzing the sound.

That would be misleading as I can say I enjoy listening to music from another room as background music, I would not be actively engaged in the music. Missing out on the soundstage not sitting in the sweet spot, the nuances of instruments and the enveloping sound interacting with the room.

That is also my definition of an audiophile: One who actively engages with their mind in listening to music on a stereo system as a sole activity. Not doing other activities that distract from focusing on just listening to the music. 8)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2014, 07:09 pm »
I sometimes listen with my eyes closed.  That way, I have no visual distractions. 

HsvHeelFan

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2014, 07:34 pm »

Perhaps you've answered your own question with "engaged listening". Also, I've heard more than one musician talk about "deep listening" to describe the focused listening experience.

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:26 pm »
I sometimes listen with my eyes closed.  That way, I have no visual distractions. 

HsvHeelFan

Yes, that's good if it works for you. I find it difficult to listen with my eyes closed, pitch black room works the best. I first experienced this back in the late '70's early 80's my friend had bought all new radio shack gear. He would listen in the dark, all you could see was the receiver lights.

That was a revelation cause at that time I was into quadraphonic. And his system revealed that a good stereo bettered quadraphonic.

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:32 pm »
Perhaps you've answered your own question with "engaged listening". Also, I've heard more than one musician talk about "deep listening" to describe the focused listening experience.

I like that 'Deep Listening', has the connotation of being spiritually connected to the music. Listening to Trance music occasionally can put me in a trance state of mind, which is pretty deep.

So 'Deep Listening' is the term I will use in the future so as not to be confused with analyzing the gear listening. :smoke:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:36 pm »

HsvHeelFan

Lights out with one or two candles lit - perfect form me  :thumb:

Be well...

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:46 pm »
I do candles as well  :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:49 pm »

Be well...

Me too.  :thumb:

Robert D

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:58 pm »
Me too.  :thumb:

Of course with a Good Bottle of wine

Regards Robert

Robert D

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:59 pm »
Sorry forgot the candles   :thumb:

Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2014, 09:02 pm »

Be well...

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2014, 10:01 pm »
Rhythm, melody, harmony, the elements of music and should feel  just like this. :thumb: :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV6noHEd6XE