Thinking about an Oppo 103D

Big Red Machine

Thinking about an Oppo 103D
« on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:28 pm »
I have my HT gear on the left side of my shelving and the 2 channel on the right side of the same shelving.  When I watch a movie I unplug the speaker cables from the Samsons and plug in the cables from the HT amp.  So my 2 channel is not polluted by my HT gear.  I am providing this info because I have no need for the audio performance of the Oppo 105 unit but am looking for an improvement over my Panasonic DMP-BD30K bluray player.  I was intrigued by the Darbee processing.

Anybody have experience with the Oppo units and more importantly the Darbee unit to say that the video performance is substantial enough to justify replacing my older Panny unit?  The Panny unit takes forever to load and go through the folders at the start of a movie.  Speed of initial playback would be nice to improve upon, but the blacks and detail is something I am wondering if the Oppo can improve as well.

Projector is a Mits BL5000 1080p unit.  1.2 gain screen at 13 feet.

What say you?

Phil A

Re: Thinking about an Oppo 103D
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:11 pm »
Will have in hand a (but may take me a little bit to set it up) a couple of 103Ds in a few weeks (I have a modded 83, a 93 and an old DV980H).  I'm in the unpacking and transporting the final goods phase now and will be going back to the old place in a week and a half (which is almost 900 miles) to transport what is left and place an order for a couple of 103Ds and an Epson 5030 for the main room.  I have an old BenQ projector in the bedroom and I'm probably going to use (audio stuff not set-up yet) the BDP-93 as the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers and I could run the composite of the BDP-93 outside and navigate songs on a hard drive attached to it.  I also don't need a 105 but am a big fan of Oppo for video.  A few years back in the old place I had a Sony VPL-AW15 projector and a PS3 as a source for Blu-Ray.  I had the BDP-93 in the bedroom system (with a 55 inch LED).  Decided to swap things around.  Was blown away (as was a friend who was over) by the difference in video.  I've owned a bunch of different machines (no Panasonics though) and find the Oppo units really nice.  Going to use one unit with the Epson 5030 projector (Stewart Grayhawk screen) and one in a spare room with a 55 inch LED and will attach a hard drive with DSD files too.

Big Red Machine

Re: Thinking about an Oppo 103D
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2014, 09:35 pm »
Pulled the trigger and placed an order for one today.  Nice long thread on AVS about the Darbee unit.