Got a ticket right before xmas - Orange County CA - Help me appeal

JeffB

A friend of mine told me that somebody he knew received a ticket for stopping beyond the railroad tracks but before the cross-walk.

murphy11

I'd call the politician who represents the district where the ticket was issued and complain\listen to their view of the problem. May not get you out of the ticket but would make me feel better to hear their view. Better to complain there than in court.

viggen

A friend of mine told me that somebody he knew received a ticket for stopping beyond the railroad tracks but before the cross-walk.

At the same intersection?

viggen

I'd call the politician who represents the district where the ticket was issued and complain\listen to their view of the problem. May not get you out of the ticket but would make me feel better to hear their view. Better to complain there than in court.

I thought about doing that too.  I don't live in the area though, so afraid whoever the politician won't give a crap about me...

viggen

There's so many things wrong with the ticket I got I think and citing the wrong code is just one of them.  Wonder whether the judge would be entertained if I were to list the top 5 things I think is wrong with the ticket given to me.

Based on my career, I've made dozens of appeals to California citations. The easiest of all appeals is when the Issuer cites the wrong Code of Law.

It is noted that it is difficult to read exactly what the Officer wrote. In Court, you will be well informed of the charge/s against you. Either ask for an extension or plead Not Guilty if you feel the Officer has simply cited the wrong Code.

If you plead Not Guilty, you are entitled to perform Discovery. Discovery is a surprisingly simple letter that will get you every single possible piece of evidence that *may* be used against you. Including the Officer's perception of you (or lack thereof).

Upon receipt of Discovery, you can decide if you want to continue to Trial, or if you want to pay the fine, pay traffic school, and move on.

All of the appeal methods will require your time, and only you can decide what that is worth. Filing and Discovery fees apply. Court dates may also require time away from work, which should also be considered. Lastly, it is prudent to remember that Traffic Court juries are typically populated by 12 people that didn't know how to get out of jury duty.

Best of luck,

Jerry

viggen

My ticket got dismissed!

I hired a lawyer.  He went to trial for me.  He presented the evidence and made his arguments... and in the end... I got off because of a technicality.  The police officer who wrote the ticket up made a couple of mistakes during trial.  He didn't do two things required: 1) identify the driver to be the accused and 2) state jurisdiction.  My lawyer asked for dismissal based on this.

I would have liked my ticket to be dismissed based on the fact that I was completely innocent and the law/situation being enforced by the (corrupt) officer were "evildoers".  But, I got off.  I save money and time.  The lawyer is very good at keeping me updated with progress and is good enough to get me off the hook. 

murphy11

:beer:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
That'll work. How much did it cost you though?
Still would have been nice to get something done about the apparent "trap" they've got set up.

Bob

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
It might also keep your insurance rate down.

Good job.

viggen

That'll work. How much did it cost you though?
Still would have been nice to get something done about the apparent "trap" they've got set up.

Bob

Sorry didn't see your question.  The ticket was $500.  The lawyer's service is $250.  So, I saved $250 not including traffic school and aggravation.

charmerci

I just saw this thread and looked at the original pictures.

I would have said...the cop that was parked before he pulled me over was also between the double lines and the track!  :roll: :scratch:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Sorry didn't see your question.  The ticket was $500.  The lawyer's service is $250.  So, I saved $250 not including traffic school and aggravation.
No worries, thanks.
The cost of living out there is staggering. Non-points tickets around here are generally in the $75 range.