what do you want to see in AC cables

beat

« on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:08 am »
Hey guys,
I have been playing around with some AC cables lately. I tried a recipe that I found on avsforum.com and liked it so I stuck with it for other applications. However, I would like to try something else this time, Venhaus maybe. I want to know the reasons why I should, though..beyond just a reccomendation. I have seen so many different cables out there with their own "best" design and they state their specs but they are kind of meaningless to me because I dont know what to look for....high / low capacitance, dampening on conductors, type of metal used, and should we sheild or not?  With out all the hype of brand names and whatnot, what are we really looking for lets say for a small digital amp, and a big solid state amp?
thanks for your input,
beat

Jon L

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:57 am »
Power cords are real PITA.  I have a dozen or so cords, and I just went through some swapping sessions (yet again) to find the synergistic one with my active crossover.

Basically, none of the power cords sound anything like each other.  Not even close.  There's no way you can predict with any certainty a given cord will work well with a given gear, regardless of price considerations.   A DIY cord worth $30 can synergize way better with a given gear than a $2000 commercial one, or vice versa.  

There's something fundamentally, seriously wrong with our current power company/power delivery/power supply/RFI/EMI paradigm.  It bites the big one.  Even the $3000 cords that get rave reviews are mere band-aids to a fundamental problem IMHO.

Having said that, I like the Belden 83802 as a base for DIY designs.  Go with using 2 strands per leg.  If you want a quiet, darker, richer sound, leave the shield on.  Take the shield off if you are going for open, more vibrant sound, not as rich.  Absolute dead neutral is somewhere between, but usual shielding schemes can't get you there.  I don't know how yet, so I use one shielded and one unshielded to split the difference.  A well tweaked 83802 cord will compete well with most any famous commercial cords

After that, it's a real crapshoot.  Try to stay away from the "normal" stranded copper 14-16 AWG in rubber or teflon/silver-plated stranded copper.  They'll work, but not worth your time.  Better sound can be obtained using continuous cast solid core copper.  Solid core silver is really tricky to work with and can sound awful or great depending on geometry, shielding, damping.   As a general rule, add more shielding if you want  darker, deeper tones, more apparent bass, less harshness.  If you overdo it, it will be too dull, lifeless.  Adding damping on top with rubber, plastic, etc will tend to smooth out the sound but can dull it too.  

Copper or silver ribbons are even more tricky.  Unless you know what you're doing, I would stay away from this genre, unless you have learned from people like Omega Mikro, Electraglide, Elrod, etc.  You may spend hundres of hours to come up with a ribbon cord that beats others in many important areas, BUT still have one or two fatal flaws that can't be overcome.  Been there, done that.  Many times.  

If all this sounds too much, just buy some cords from Chris VH (type 4).  That's a hell of a deal.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 10:33 am »
I would call or email Chris @ VH Audio with your PC questions. He will definately help you.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:02 pm »
I also recommend the VH Audio Flavor 4.

I have a pair of these with the gold option that I use on my amps and they work, very, very well.

But synergy is everything.  These great cords don't sound that good on my dac.  The best sounding cord on my dac is an Argent Audio Brujo.  All other cords sound congested and slow by comparison.

Why?  I have no idea...

George