2014 Grammy impressions?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
2014 Grammy impressions?
« on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:12 am »
I must have gotten a lot older in the past year.  Gave up watching after flipping with the Pro Bowl.  Yes, tributes to Beatles, Carol King, and Chicago acknowledged us baby boomers.  Liked Pink's performance and Beyonce looked incredible after giving birth.  But hadn't heard most of the names/music and couldn't relate to either.  Too much talking, not enough music/awards.  Don't do much pop anymore, but must have been a really slow year. (like the show, reportedly going nearly 4 hours).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: 2014 Grammy impressions?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:15 am »
I didn't watch it and forgot it was even done today.  I accidentally stumbled on the list of winner a few minutes ago, which confirmed that I must be an old fuddy-duddy!  There were only two winners I've ever heard of, Daft Punk (which I know because they did the Tron soundtrack) and Led Zep for a song they originally recorded almost 40 years ago.

boomshaka

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:17 am »
Kudos to Zep but it was from a live show 3 yrs ago not new stuff so they won in wrong category(Best Performance) and wrong yr(2011). I say FIX.

tomytoons

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:19 am »
Same here, didn't watch or make an attempt to.
Most of it is junk, sorry to those that like it.
Was anyone high last night or make a real fool of themselves?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:38 am »
I was busy and missed it  but noticed this AM that Rock Album of the Year went to Celebration Day and Rock Song of the Year went to that thing McCartney and Grohl whipped up... go Grammys go. Unfathomable as always - whatever.

D.D.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm »
Was anyone high last night or make a real fool of themselves?

You mean other than The Recording Academy's voting membership?
Ba Dum Bum!

D.D.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2014, 05:24 pm »
You mean to tell me you guys cannot appreciate the sheer raw talent of Justin Bieber??
Doesn't he put the James Taylors, Bob Dylans and Beatles to shame?

Chazro

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2014, 08:35 pm »
Only 3 of the awards resonated for me.  Latin Jazz went to Paquito D'Rivera & Trio Corrente (an extraordinary recording featuring the Cuban virtuoso with the Brazilian trio), Jazz to Wayne Shorter for 'Without A Net', and to my personal favorite and biggest surprise - Snarky Puppy & Lalah Hathaway for best R&B performance!  Way to go fellas, outstanding!!  The Grammys are meaningless, except when they're not!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0SJIgTLe0hc

At just past the 6 minute mark Hathaway (Donny's little girl!) does an extraordinary thing with her voice; hit's 3 notes simultaneously!  Chk out the reactions from the audience AND the band, everybody's jaw hits the floor!  I'd strongly recommend Snarky Puppy (primarily an instrumental Jazz/Funk band) to ANY music-lover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBlRkF0-to&feature=player_detailpage

Get ready to get bit by the pup!;)

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2014, 09:08 pm »
We watched Captain Phillips instead of the Grammys, excellent movie. I flipped over to the Grammys while washing dishes, caught a group of old white guys doing a passable version of a Metallica song, then a sappy duo with a wedding song, then went to bed.

Must have tuned in too late to see Topo Gigio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFasYNOifk

smargo

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm »
I must have gotten a lot older in the past year.  Gave up watching after flipping with the Pro Bowl.  Yes, tributes to Beatles, Carol King, and Chicago acknowledged us baby boomers.  Liked Pink's performance and Beyonce looked incredible after giving birth.  But hadn't heard most of the names/music and couldn't relate to either.  Too much talking, not enough music/awards.  Don't do much pop anymore, but must have been a really slow year. (like the show, reportedly going nearly 4 hours).

Too me it was one of the best shows i have enjoyed in a few years - maybe its because my daughter (thats 13 years old) new most of the bands and has turned me on to their music over the last 6 months. Every live performance was incredible and very creative. it was so nice to see all the artists in the audience dancing to every genre of music being played.

a true artist appreciates music from everyone - it was incredible to see artists dancing to other music that is not their forte

i loved it (I'm 59 years old)

tomytoons

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:57 pm »
Hey, I just signed a petition to deport Bieber to where he came from.
I love it!  :thumb:

You want the link?
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/deport-justin-bieber-and-revoke-his-green-card/ST1yqHJL