Shipping Odyssey amps (any problems with this?)

hifimojo04

« on: 11 Aug 2004, 03:50 am »
What method does Klaus ship his amps, do you guys know?

Since Odyssey amps are so heavy and very well custom designed, do they frequently get damaged in their shipping?  It's such a shame how bad shipping companies treat packages.  This astounds me.  FedEx ground is horrible.. but don't even get me started with UPS.

Also, how much does the shipping cost?  

I don't live that far away from Indiana, and I have relatives in Cincinnati, so I might just pick it up myself, if Klaus allow that.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:08 am »
Klaus ships them UPS ground, at least that's how mine were shipped. They managed to arrive intact.

When I shipped my stereo back for an upgrade it was about $25 via FedEx ground. That was from Colorado.

Musky_Don

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:13 am »
hifimojo04,

As of my last purchase - UPS.  I also picked up one item from the man himself.  I believe i had one problem with UPS - 1 amp went to my work address, 1 down the street to the wrong adress.  You should have seen me casing the business down the street on a Saturday... not a single person working.   Shipping is secondary - may cost $50/prbably closer to 20.  IMO, this will seem like small potatoes compared to the enjoyment you get from the amps.  Good luck.

don

hifimojo04

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2004, 05:24 am »
Hey, not worried about the shipping price.  Cost of gas roundtrip to drive to get the amp would be around $40 for me, so price isn't the deal.  

I'm worried about waiting up to several months to receive these amps and have UPS screw everything up and then have to wait a lot longer to set them up, assuming UPS doesn't screw it up again!  I wonder if he'll consider FedEx ground.  They suck too, but not as bad as UPS.  I'd be willing to pay extra for that.  

I'd like to have them adequately burnt in by Christmas if possible... for entertainment purposes! :-)

starlet

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2004, 07:19 am »
since you are not too far away from Klaus, I suggest you go pick it up yourself. When you are in control, you feel good.  :D

You can also check out the amp before you bring it home, not that Odyssey not doing a good job but sometimes things just happen without any reason.  :o

The amp is worth the effort and the trip you make is worth the peace of mind.

i would not worry when shipping the amp back to the man. Even if it is damage, i believe he will take care of it.  :lol:

Ferdi

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:51 pm »
I got mine shipped from the US to the Netherlands with no problem.

I would not worry about the shipping but if you do have a chance I would suggest picking them up.

Groeten,

Ferdi

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2004, 02:05 pm »
Shipping??? No need, just buy Klaus a ticket to a Rock Concert and he will deliver them.

I can almost guarantee personnal delivery if Grand Funk comes to Pittsburg.

I'm getting an amp delivered tomorrow afternoon (Symphonic Line RG1)....Alice Coopers in town  :mrgreen:

Captain Humble

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:19 pm »
Ony one problem with shipping so far.

Just sent Dual Mono to Klaus for upgrade to Extreme Monos.
Klaus told me yesterday that the face plate was so damaged that we'd need a new one.

I've got several pieces of Odyssey gear. I keep buying and shipping so I obviously think the value is worth the wait and the risk.

Jeff

KarlDL

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2004, 04:22 am »
FedEx Ground was kind and gentle with my Stratos when it came up from its prior owner in Texas.  UPS managed to clobber the power switch and one WBT binding post when Klaus returned the unit to me from its Stereo Extreme upgrade.  Not wanting to allow UPS another chance to inflict serious damage, I had Klaus send me the switch+post and I did the repair myself.  For a real horror tale, look up Byteme's posts on what UPS did to his Loreleis.

hifimojo04

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2004, 12:36 pm »
If Klaus would ship the Stratos FedEx Ground (I would be willing to pay a little more if it cost him more to ship) then the problem would be solved, and it'd save me a long trip!