Thinking about Odyssey Stratos HT 3

hifimojo04

« on: 11 Aug 2004, 03:25 am »
I've been on an amp search for basically the past month or so.  I've read so many good things about the Odyssey Stratos that I almost have to give them a try.  

Right now I have B&W CDM 1NTs in the front with Polk center and surrounds, but I'll be upgrading the front trio to B&W Nautilus 805s and HTM1 center and move the CDMs to rears.  I'll eventually (long term) add Nautilus 804s or 803s to the fronts.  I really like the B&W sound.

Currently I'm powering the system with a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver.  I used to have an RX-V990 receiver.  So far I've compared both the amps in these receivers and a Rotel RMB-1075 to the speakers.  The Yamaha 990 was very bright and sibilant.  The 2400 was much better, but it was still too bright.  The Rotel was much better, but it seemed a little too warm and smeared.  So I'm looking for excellend clarity, detail, microdynamics, not bright, but not overly warm.  I'm thinking Odyssey might be the way to go.

I'd also like to have a good 3 channel broken in to accomodate the Nauts once they come.  

I'm seriously considering the Odyssey Stratos 3 channel. :idea:

Musky_Don

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:00 am »
hifimojo04,

Not sure what your question is.  I'd be glad to help if I can.  I own a varirty of Odyssey amps and preamps.  I also own a lot of Dynaudio stuff (prefer it to the B&W) that should be similar in performance to the B&Ws.  It would help knowing if you are more interested in HT or 2 channel.  What are your plans for preamp?  Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Odyssey/B&W combination.  If it was me, and I had the scratch, I'd pop for the Extremes for two channel and talk to Klaus about an option for a 3-channel for F/LR/RR.  You have a lot of options.... Enjoy!  

Don

hifimojo04

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:07 am »
Don,

Thanks!  I appreciate that.  I was just wondering what people thought of that combo.  Yes, I just have enough dough for the HT 3, with maybe one cap upgrade and a few interconnects.  I think the Groneberg will kill the monster cables that I have on the preout now.  

Yeah, upgrade plan is to use the HT 3 for RL, RR, and C, and then get Stratos extreme or DM for the fronts, but I don't have the scratch for all that yet, so I plan to just upgrade the front 3 channels now.

Musky_Don

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:33 am »
hifimojo04

IMO, the Odyssey amps are very honest.  I've had several pre-amps in my system, for 2channel i've settled on the Tempest, for HT, I like the high end anthem - my 2 channel habit won't let me afford it.  The preamp (IMO) choice will impact the B&W/Odyssey sound.  I don't have the Groneberg ICs.  I have heard nothing but good things re:sound.  Just have others that I am not ready to replace.  Enjoy.

Crossing threads here - the silver is a great finish, also the black w/the blue lights (IMO).  Think about the space requirements to upgrades, etc.  The monos/stratos chassis is a decent sized amp.  One last thought - buy the black, save the $100, then send it to Klaus as a tip - you will like the amps that much!

Don

Musky_Don

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:49 am »
One last thought - If you are close to Chicago - let me know, I love showing off my system especially the Odyssey gear - great stuff.  You never know, I might just break you of your B&W habit!

hifimojo04

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2004, 05:30 am »
Hey thanks!  For HT, after getting the Odysseys, I'm looking at Anthem, B&K, and Cary audio pre/pros.  Any thoughts on that?  Right now I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.  So far things are looking like I'll be in Pittsburgh for another several years.  I really like it there, everthing except for the winters.  So I guess Chicago is a little far.

What speakers do you use?

Anyway, since I'm new to this hobby, where do people usually go to find other audiophiles in the area?  A lot of my friends like HT, but most won't go near anything more $$ than "top-of-the-line" Best Buy.

Chazz

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:43 pm »
Hi,

I owned the N805s and used the Odyssey monoblocks to drive them for about 2 years.  They work well together.  What I noticed about upgrading to the Odyssee monoblocks (from a tube integrated and also a solid state) was that the sound stage depth and width increased a lot.  This was independent of the preamps I used (FT Audio LW-1, EE Minimax, pre on my integrated).  I don't think you can go wrong with N805 and Odyssee.

Having said that I upgraded my N805s to the Odyssee Loreleis recently.  I love the B&W sound and have always had B&W speakers but the Loreleis really were that much better than the N805s and now the N805s are on surround duty.  

Cheers
Charles

Musky_Don

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:56 pm »
I have DynT2.5' for front LR, T2.1 center, Dyn contour 1.1' for the rears.  For 2 channel, I have a pair of Dyn Confidence C1s.  The C1s were an upgrade (from 1.8mk11s) after I received the Odyssey Extremes.  I loved the mk11s but IMO, the Extremes are that good, they can get the most out of a very special speaker.  I have not listened to Klaus's speaker line, they do receive great reviews.

As to pre-amps, for 2 channel I have a Tempest (actually have 2, 1w/HT bypass).  I have a Denon 4800 doing the HT processing.  I have auditioned the high end B&K and Anthem processors in my system.  I definately prefer the Anthem over the B&K (for both 2 channel and HT).  It easily blows away the Denon (it should for the $$$).  Most of my budget goes towards 2 channel, so the Anthem is aways away.  For 2 channel, IMO, the Tempest is a better match than the Anthem (although I was surprised with how well Anthem did in the analog mode).  Have not auditioned any Cary products.

As to finding local folks into audio - I have met some interesting people at high end audio stores.  I have developed friendships with a couple of salesmen/reps through the years.  I have had them over to the house - BTW - both were very impressed with Odyssey/price packages.  Also, this and Audiogon are good forums to meet people.  I have learned a lot from other folks here at AC.  I'm sure there are members in the Pittsburgh area.  This is a fun hobby - nice to check out other people's systems.  My neighbor is a very good friend and owns most of my old gear  :rotflmao: .  Good luck.

avalon65

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2004, 02:56 am »
hifimojo,

I started out in similar shoes as you, albeit your speakers may be a step above mine. My original system was Paradigm Studio 60s v2, powered by a Yamaha RXV-2200. I originally thought I wanted HT, but quickly realized I was a true 2-channel guy. I also thought the 2200 would have enough juice to power the 60s but I was mistaken. It just lacked any oomph and was terribly bright. I updated my cabling to MIT, but didn't get much improvement. I then added a capped-up Stratos and used the Yamaha as a pre. Boy what a difference in the power. I started getting what I was looking for as the sound opened up. However it was still bright. I dumped the Yamaha as a pre and went with a B&K PT3, then the Anthem TLP-1. Both are entry level preamp/tuners. This tamed the brightness a great deal, but I still was not completely satisfied. I lucked into buying a system off a guy who had the Odyssey Nightingales. I hadn't really thought about changing my speakers because these had really good reviews and I thought they were my strongest link in the chain. The difference in sound between the Nightingales and the Studio 60s was immense. Sound stage opened both wide and deep, but the biggest improvement was the mids. I was finally hearing voices(especially female) that had bought my listening to the next level. I was extremely pleased with difference and amazed at the difference in sound from speakers with the same price tag(new ~$1,200). Also in the used package I purchased, was a Creek passive preamp that I had planned to sell. I A/B it against my Anthem TLP-1 and again another pleasing change. So my Anthem went on the chopping block and my hunt was on for new preamp(the Creek didn't have enough inputs). I put some feelers out and that's when Klaus came-a-call'n. He made me an offer on a Tempest that I couldn't refuse. The final piece to my puzzle arrived two weeks ago. I'm tickled pink. The Tempest added the emotion that was lacking in my system. Up until I added it to the mix, I couldn't put my finger on what was missing. But once it was added everything clicked and sounded better than I hoped. I'm a happy camper,  ....for now. You'll hear it a lot in this forum... SYNERGY, SYNERGY, SYNERGY! Too bad Odyssey doesn't make a source... Klaus???

LJ

P.S. Somewhere in the mix, I dumped the MIT cables for Goneberg.

P.S.S. I'm just a few hours due west in Columbus. If you're interested in making the drive sometime and would like to hear the wonderful world of Odyssey let me know. Bring your B&Ws too.