SP 1.7 Settings advice

chrispro

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:07 am »
I want to use SP 1.7's DAC for CD playback. I dont want any of the effect options. Can someone please explain which of the following settings I should use, as well as advise me what the differences between the two are?

1. Stereo
2. Pass thru (Cannot find any references in manual regarding this option)

Thank you

gazza982

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 06:05 am »
To use the SP1.7s DACs select stereo.  Pass thru simply uses the SP1.7 as a preamp in other words you will use the source device (CD) DACs.  Obviously you would need to use analogue connections to use Pass thru.

Regards

Gaz

chrispro

Gaz "Pass thru" and "bypass" is differen
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 11:36 pm »
Hi Gaz

The analogue option "BYPASS" has its own switch on the SP 1.7 which switches off all digital processing and basically controls the analogue signal which is fed from the source. That is pretty clear.

If I feed the digital signal from my source, I have the option of "PASS THRU" under the surround mode menu. This is the option which I cannot find reference to in the manual and how does this differ from the "STEREO" selection.

Regards
Chris

chrispro

Gaz "Pass thru" and "bypass" is differen
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2004, 11:37 pm »
Hi Gaz

The analogue option "BYPASS" has its own switch on the SP 1.7 which switches off all digital processing and basically controls the analogue signal which is fed from the source. That is pretty clear.

If I feed the digital signal from my source, I have the option of "PASS THRU" under the surround mode menu. This is the option which I cannot find reference to in the manual and how does this differ from the "STEREO" selection.

Regards
Chris

jethro

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2004, 12:23 am »
Chris,

The STEREO button turns on a downmix. So, if you have a DD 3/2.1 music  dvd, engaging the STEREO button will only produce sound from the left and right front speakers. If you have a 2 channel PCM source such as a CD or Satelllite feed then the stereo button is like listening to two channel music.

The PASS THRU only seems to work with 2-channel signals which results in sound from the left and right fronts only.

My speakers are full-range so I don't know how the subwoofer comes into play in the various modes.

I just hit the STEREO button when I want to listen to CD's.

nicolasb

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:52 am »
My speakers are full-range so I don't know how the subwoofer comes into play in the various modes.

If you want to use the subwoofer then listen to your music in "Stereo" mode but with your front speakers set to "Small" and a suitable choice of cross-over frequency. (If you're not sure what to use then trying setting it to the frequency at which your front speaker response is -3dB).

Note that for listening to anything with a .1 subwoofer channel already in the recording you need to have the cross-over set to at least 80Hz. (Or, ideally, set to no upper limit and your speakers set to "Large").

chrispro

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2004, 02:29 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Since my speakers are full range (OB), I dont think I would consider a sub in stereo playback. James also recommended the stereo selection. I still cant get any feedback regarding the "PASS THRU" option in the surround mode.

ec

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2004, 04:53 am »
Quote from: chrispro
I still cant get any feedback regarding the "PASS THRU" option in the surround mode.

I'm not at home right now but if I remember correctly, the pass thru mode (which is the default option I leave my digital DVD input as) will process the incoming signal "as is" or as intended.  When the DVD player is turned on the SP 1.7's LCD says "pass thru.  When I put a DVD on and the trailers or menu comes on - these are usually in DD 2.0 and this is what is displayed on the SP 1.7's display.  When the movie starts the SP 1.7 will display DD 3/2.1 / DD EX with THX, DTS 3/2.1 etc (I can't recall the exact wording) depending on what language / decoding scheme I choose on the DVD.

On my TV/sat input I have DP II music as the default and this surround mode stays this way (eg two channel) unless there is a DD 5.1 digital bitstream coming in where it will go to DD 3/2.1

stp1200

SP 1.7 Settings advice
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2004, 08:22 pm »
Eric is correct.  The pass thru mode was meant to play source material as intended with no effects added.  This means that when you get Stereo PCM IN, you get a stereo output.  And when there is a 5.1 channel source, you will be listening in 5.1 channel surround.  Basically, the pass thru means that a surround mode is not synthesized when a 2-channel signal appears at the input.