Netflix poor video streaming picture quality??? (with high speed net)

kenreau

I've been a long time netflix subscriber and over the past 2~3 years started using their instant streaming service.  I have yet to see it provide a decent video picture quality.  What I experience appears to be typically less than even standard def quality.  Washed out color, lack of sharpess/definition, severe pixelation and blocking in dark scenes, etc. 

Initially, I suspected it was my 6 year old Sony PS3.  This last fall I upgraded to the new Oppo 103.  Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

I have gone through the Netflix set up and selected the HD video stream.  I've ran multiple speed tests on my isp and typically receive around 22~25 Mbps.

Is there anything further I can manage on my end?  Or, is this a lack of bandwidth capacity on Netflix's server end? 

Thx
Kenreau

avta

I'm guessing it's a network issue. Is the Oppo connected via a wireless router? I'm not familiar with the Oppo but if possible connect your Oppo with an ethernet cable to your router and see if that helps.

kenreau

I'm guessing it's a network issue. Is the Oppo connected via a wireless router? I'm not familiar with the Oppo but if possible connect your Oppo with an ethernet cable to your router and see if that helps.

I have an ethernet cable direct to the internet router.

I suspect I have located the issue(s) - after a few google searches, I found a great summary article.  It sounds like a growing, frustrating phenomenom as the Netflix streaming has gotten more popular.   Basically, during prime time viewing, Netflix's servers are swamped and most ISPs have competing services to sell, so they choke down the bandwidth.  To improve access, Netflix has developed an "Open Connect"
which sets up a direct peer connection between Netflix and those ISPs that decide to play ball.  Unfortunately, it appears most ISPs don't play ball until forced to. Until then, we suffer, or use another streaming service.

What happened to my Netflix?! Here’s why you’re not always getting HD

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/getting-hd-netflix/#ixzz2rFY52PFw

low.pfile

I have been wondering about this from a wider perspective lately. Physical media is going away (e.g. Blockbuster video stores are closing, demise of Bluray in the news). So the dependency on streaming video will increase. And the content provider model is shifting too with original content coming from Netflix. Bottom line more content will be streamed. And with the current distribution it is already clogged, so you get crappy resolution that kenreau is experiencing. What will change to remedy this?

Then to make matters worse, TV sizes are inflating to the unimaginable 10 years ago, and now at very high resolutions (4K and Ultra HD). So now we will be able to see all the macroblocking in mega 12 inch bit chunks on the screen!  I am curious how this will flush out.

I have an old 1080P Sony LCD TV @ 40" and recently picked up a Chromecast dongle to watch Netflix streamed content, with minimal hardware setup connection hassle. Even with High Speed cable (@47mbps tested last night), I get some macroblocking which seems to be network congestion. if I were in a household with a couple of kids accessing the same bandwidth, I would imagine it would be worse, but I am the only one using my connection. For the most part, when the streamed content is HD, the video quality is fine, but not great. That also applies to streaming nexflix to a retina display iPad.

Keep the round discs or come up with another cheaper, more durable replacement!

low.pfile

What a coincidence....listened to an old podcast of HT Guys at work today and they mentioned this stream that shows the streaming resolution and bandwidth <--those probably aren't the right terms but you get the idea--it is like a meter superimposed over sample video (from just down the road a bit, from me, at Netflix headquarters!)

Search for "Example Short 23.976" on your Netflix streaming device of choice. There are a few others test videos with similar titles, but I didn't view them

iPad to Chromecast/Sony 40in LCD, at around 4PM, I saw it peak at 4300kbps at 1920 x 1080. Pretty Decent.

kenreau

Interesting.  I'll check that out over the weekend. 

Last night I was streaming "The Walking Dead" on my Oppo with Netflix.  I used the "info" button and it displayed the video resolution and time blocks.  At no point did the video ever exceed 480P.  Most of the time, the video would be around 360P range and drop down in to the 280 range.  It fluctuated continuously.  I even paused the show for 10 minutes to see if it would buffer some to build up the video quaulity.  It had no effect.  I double checked the Netflix set up to confirm it was set to HD streaming preference.  I did not see a Super HD choice as some have mentioned.

I'm going to experiment with Amazon prime and Apple to see if there are any improvements.

Kenreau

Hear Clifford Brown

Thanks for starting this thread, useful information in this discussion.  I have the same problem, so we unsubscribe to streaming and just get Netflix disks unless there is something special we want to watch, like House of Cards.  That's a disappointing solution but I'm not paying for a crappy service.

Jeff

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
I have been wondering about this from a wider perspective lately. Physical media is going away (e.g. Blockbuster video stores are closing, demise of Bluray in the news). So the dependency on streaming video will increase. And the content provider model is shifting too with original content coming from Netflix. Bottom line more content will be streamed. And with the current distribution it is already clogged, so you get crappy resolution that kenreau is experiencing. What will change to remedy this?

Then to make matters worse, TV sizes are inflating to the unimaginable 10 years ago, and now at very high resolutions (4K and Ultra HD). So now we will be able to see all the macroblocking in mega 12 inch bit chunks on the screen!  I am curious how this will flush out.

I have an old 1080P Sony LCD TV @ 40" and recently picked up a Chromecast dongle to watch Netflix streamed content, with minimal hardware setup connection hassle. Even with High Speed cable (@47mbps tested last night), I get some macroblocking which seems to be network congestion. if I were in a household with a couple of kids accessing the same bandwidth, I would imagine it would be worse, but I am the only one using my connection. For the most part, when the streamed content is HD, the video quality is fine, but not great. That also applies to streaming nexflix to a retina display iPad.

Keep the round discs or come up with another cheaper, more durable replacement!

Couldn't agree more...

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
A failing router and/or modem can affect your throughput. You can also have issues on a wireless connection if there is too much distance between the transmitter and your device. Or it could just be your provider choking down the connection.  :evil:

gregcss

For the most part the picture quality is very good to excellent for me with FIOS 50/25. Now if there are 3+ different devices streaming on my local network then I do see degradation in picture quality and buffering during viewing. I stream through a Roku 3 set to 1080p to my receiver. The TV is a 5 year old 46in Samsung LCD - middle model and I sit 8 feet away.

In the past SuperHD was not available in all areas due to the ISP or network hubs, etc. Apparently it's available everywhere now. Not sure what 'everywhere' is defined as.

Folsom

Check router for firmware updates. Check to make sure modem and router have room to breath. I've pulled blankets off of them, and even routers off of overheated modems.

Something overlooked constantly... If you have cable make sure all the connections with actual cable are wrench tight, with a wrench. It can make a HUGE difference in performance; even when it seems fine.

kenreau

Check router for firmware updates. Check to make sure modem and router have room to breath. I've pulled blankets off of them, and even routers off of overheated modems.

Something overlooked constantly... If you have cable make sure all the connections with actual cable are wrench tight, with a wrench. It can make a HUGE difference in performance; even when it seems fine.

Good idea to check for router firmware updates.  I recall I applied Caig ProGold to everything when I first installed the new modem and router a few years ago.  I'll check & clean the ethernet cable connnections as well.

Thx
Kenreau

srb

If you have a separate modem and router rather than a combination gateway you may be able to connect your device directly to the modem for troubleshooting purposes (if physically possible) to take the router out of the equation.  Most modems have a DHCP server enabled by default (which normally gets blocked by the router).

Steve

rif

• Not a cowboy
Thought I'd contribute my results and thoughts.  Using Netflix "Example Short 23.976” on my Roku, which is wired with an Ethernet cable to the router - last night I was lucky to get around 700kbs. This afternoon I got (and held steady after adaptive streaming settled in) 5800kbs.  That's a huge difference.

I have a 75/35 connection through Verizon FiOS.

So is it
1) Netflix traffic/volume at peak times,
2) my ISP throttles Netflix now that net neutrality was shot down (am I saying that right?),
3) something to do with Amazon's computer cloud ( I know I'm not using the right terms) which I believe Netflix uses for its business.

Folsom

Sadly there is a lot of possibilities   :lol:

Check computers for auto-update stealing bandwidth too.

rif

• Not a cowboy
Sadly there is a lot of possibilities   :lol:

My anger is a vector, it needs direction and magnitude.    :wink:

RDavidson

Don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but just to be sure, do you have your wireless router's security enabled (so only people with a password can access your wifi)? Sometimes things like this get overlooked, in which case, maybe your neighbors are taking some of your bandwidth.

youravhandyman

My personal experience lately is that the problem is with Netflix.  I base this on a 1 to 1 comparison with my Vudu box.  I rarely get 480P on Netflix and if I do it is for moments.  In comparison I was able to stream a movie in Vudu's HDX format which looks just short of bluray quality. 
I did have some concern initially that the problem was related to my Uverse boxes sharing the same network clogging things up with IGMP traffic but this was proven not to be the case.  So now I sit disappointed in Netflix but few in the way of affordable options.

jonbee

My personal experience lately is that the problem is with Netflix. 
I concur to a degree. I used to be able to get 480 but no more. My throughput from Comcast is ~7 MB/sec., more than enough to get that quality, and my equipment is up to date and maintained.
So I conclude it is either Netflix, or (more likely) Comcast throttling Netflix. There is plenty of evidence online about the peer to peer negotiations that Comcast is engaged in with big content providers, most notably Netflix. Net Neutrality? Not likely with Comcast, IMO. Unfortunately I'm stuck with them.