My Best Craigslist Find Ever - Sony PS-X75 Turntable

audiogoober

Grabbed it today for $275!! It's a rare 35 year old gem...mint and functions perfectly. What a find!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: My Best Craigslist Find Ever - Sony PS-X75 Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2014, 03:56 am »
 :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2014, 10:52 am »
Very nice indeed.  Way to keep looking at CL every day.  I'm sure that wasn't listed for very long.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2014, 11:03 am »
 :thumb:

Guy 13

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm »
Wow nice find!
Looks like it just fits between your nuts..... :green:

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm »
Wow nice find!
Looks like it just fits between your nuts..... :green:
Hi audiogoober, Bob2 and all Audio Circle members.
Instead of the nuts being squeeze (Most of the time),
it's the turntable that is squeezing the nuts.
(For a change) :lol:

Guy 13

audiogoober

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm »
Very nice indeed.  Way to keep looking at CL every day.  I'm sure that wasn't listed for very long.

BINGO...it was listed for about 16 hours. You have to be quick. Being an outside sales rep, I'm usually driving through a few different states every week. After hammering out my schedule for the following week, I do a search on CL to see what's out there. I just happened to stumble on this and was in the right area.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm »
Very nice. Lose the mat. It's too hard and stiff.

Wayner

audiogoober

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm »
Very nice. Lose the mat. It's too hard and stiff.

Wayner

Wayner: Thanks for the suggestion. What replacement mat do you recommend?

audiogoober

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2014, 02:05 pm »
Hi audiogoober, Bob2 and all Audio Circle members.
Instead of the nuts being squeeze (Most of the time),
it's the turntable that is squeezing the nuts.
(For a change) :lol:

Guy 13

:lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2014, 03:12 pm »
BINGO...it was listed for about 16 hours. You have to be quick. Being an outside sales rep, I'm usually driving through a few different states every week. After hammering out my schedule for the following week, I do a search on CL to see what's out there. I just happened to stumble on this and was in the right area.

heh heh, I do the same.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2014, 03:53 pm »
I'm using some mats that I had tooled up from EPDM sponge, about 50 durometer. Firm enough to support the record, but not too soft to suck out the life of the recording. Try and keep the thickness the same. Unfortunately, I do not have anymore of my mats. I have some felt ones, but I think they suck, seem to be always full of static.

Maybe you could chase down some material at McMaster-Carr.....

Wayner

audiogoober

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:24 pm »
I'm using some mats that I had tooled up from EPDM sponge, about 50 durometer. Firm enough to support the record, but not too soft to suck out the life of the recording. Try and keep the thickness the same. Unfortunately, I do not have anymore of my mats. I have some felt ones, but I think they suck, seem to be always full of static.

Maybe you could chase down some material at McMaster-Carr.....

Wayner

Thanks! I sell/rep EPDM commercial roofing so I'll try a few different thicknesses and also check out McMaster-Carr.

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:34 pm »
Nice snatch. Sony really makes great products. ENJOY :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2014, 11:42 pm »
So many years ago, I considered buying one of those Biotracer TT's. I was wary about having a servo motor inside the tonearm. (Is my memory correct about this?)

Anyway, this is just bringing back memories of long ago.

Enjoy!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2014, 12:54 am »
So very dark green with envy for the pristine survivor PS-X75 you have there. It was one of my dream tables from the golden age of analog when all the major Nippon players had range topping dreadnought class statement tables.

Let me offer some info, audiogoober if you are already aware of this allow me to post it here for those researching the Sony PS-X75.

Several posters above are hot for you to try a new mat, well maybe. I certainly agree a different mat will change the sound, not as certain a random change will be an improvement over the mat designed by the fanatical Japanese engineers enjoying free reign when they designed this table. Be aware when you do experiment with mats you can ‘break’ this table’s operation. Note in the first photo above the cylindrical tower between the back of the tonearm and platter and the light it is shining on the platter. Now also note the six rectangular slots on the top of the platter. Together these form an optical no contact system whereby the table can detect if a record is on the platter and if it is a 12” LP or 7” 45. This is used by the turntable for both the automated play cycle and the safety function that will not cue down the tonearm if a record is not present. If a platter mat is used that blocks the sensor holes the deck is not actually ‘broken’, it will just think it always has a LP on the platter and behave accordingly. So then it is up to you not to let the PS-X75 try and play the platter mat!

The reason everything is so automated, and contrary to audiophile accepted writ this is not a bad thing, is this deck has Sony’s “Biotracer” tonearm. Like the Denon DP-62L (http://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/denon-dp-62l-direct-drive-turntable/) the PS-X75 tonearm has an electronic feedback damping system. Now I’ve said both ‘automated’ and ‘feedback’ so many audiophiles are breaking out in hives. If that is causing you to want to get rid of your DP-62L or PS-X75 please contact me! The main benefit of this system is the subsonic resonance caused by the cartridge’s compliance vs. the tonearm’s mass disappears. In my experience every time we chase another resonance out of our systems the sound gets better. Tracking is also improved as the feedback system ‘drives’ the mass of the arm is response to warps and non-concentric LPs so the cartridge’s stylus + cantilever + damper/pivot system is relieved of that burden. The gee-whiz feature Biotracer enables is the electronic stylus down force knob where one can adjust the tracking force while the LP is playing and hear in real time if a cartridge sounds better at 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 grams. My belief is in addition to showing their technical chops Sony and Denon were practicing with these systems for the about to be introduced CD players as optical disk players use the same type of servo systems to keep the laser focused on the disks’ data path. The downside is the added complexity and it does require real mechanical and electronic engineers versed in servo design to pull off. I believe many audiophiles were/are suspicious of such systems as they are not intuitively obvious. Personally I see it as a technical high water mark in the area of tonearm resonance control.

Happy Listening!

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2014, 02:29 am »
Hi Norman Tracy and all Audio Circle members.
That's a well written, easy to understand and very informative write up.
Thanks, even if it was not intented directly at me.
If I was lucky enough to own such table,
I would be a little worried about who is knowledgeable enough to repair such a complex beauty?

Guy 13

audiogoober

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2014, 03:54 am »
Hi Norman Tracy and all Audio Circle members.
That's a well written, easy to understand and very informative write up.
Thanks, even if it was not intented directly at me.
If I was lucky enough to own such table,
I would be a little worried about who is knowledgeable enough to repair such a complex beauty?

Guy 13

For the price I got it for -  I can just enjoy it...I'm not going to think about that unless it becomes a reality.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm by audiogoober »

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:51 am »
Nice find, what cart did it come with. I snagged a similar table PS-X70 that had a nice MC cart on it also.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm by Nick77 »

audiogoober

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2014, 12:23 pm »
Nice find, what cart did it come with. I snagged a similar table PS-X70 that had a nice MC cart on it also.  :thumb:

Thanks Nick77! This came with a Shure 5X Cartridge. I think I'm gonna try the Dynavector 10x5 soon.