Single Ended or Balanced outputs (with SE converters)

BobM

My Ayre CX7e-MP CD player has both SE and balanced outputs. My preamp is only single ended. I've been using the SE outs on the CD player, but recently looked and saw that the balanced output has a higher voltage, so should push a stronger signal and have lower S/N, I would think.

But will a balanced-SE converter for the RCA cables cause a degredation in sound? It is basically a wash or should I expect an improvement? And of what type (better dynamics, blacker backgrounds)?

Which converter would you recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

RDavidson

Re: Single Ended or Balanced outputs (with SE converters)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2014, 05:56 pm »
Only way to get the benefit of running (true dual differential) balanced is to go balanced out to balanced in. No way around it.

You MIGHT get the voltage gain, but I'm not sure. I kind of doubt it.

Converters are only good for instances where (for example) the source ONLY has balanced outs and the preamp or amp ONLY has SE. They serve no purpose other than to "convert" connection types for these kinds of cases.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Single Ended or Balanced outputs (with SE converters)
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2014, 06:10 pm »
A well designed balanced interconnect system (output stage > cable > input stage) will almost always have a better Signal to Noise ratio than an unbalanced RCA system.  But the RCA system's noise level may well be inaudible, so you don't gain anything.  One small problem with interconnecting balanced and unbalance units is "gain structure" where one unit's output voltage does not match the next unit's input voltage. So you throwaway much of your S/N ratio.