Keeping Track of Memory Cards?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Keeping Track of Memory Cards?
« on: 19 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
Now that memory cards are getting so small, does anyone have a good way of what data is on each card?  What about storing the cards?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Keeping Track of Memory Cards?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:02 pm »
You shouldn't be storing data on them. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:07 pm »
Data as in photos or videos,  it doesn't get from the camera to the computer by magic.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:09 pm »
Data as in photos or videos,  it doesn't get from the camera to the computer by magic.
Right.  You transfer to folder(s) on HD's or in my case a NAS. 

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014, 07:05 pm »
speedskater,
maybe you mean using so many cards in scenarios like these:  two soccer games on the same day or a vacation where you don't have your computer with you.

does anyone have a good way of what data is on each card?

On my cameras there is a setting that creates a new folder each day or some other interval. So that, along with having the image files continuously numbered, the data is pretty well organized. I just refer to the DATE CREATED on my computer.

Before transferring them to a computer I wouldn't know as none of my SD or CF cards have labels with numbers on them, but if you want to be uber organized you could add labels to them or use a metallic sharpie to add a #1, #2 etc. tag on each.

What about storing the cards?

There are many types of memory card holders, from fabric to hard cased. I have one or two but rarely use em. So using these holders, labeling the card pockets to correspond to the labeled cards could help.

I have about 5 digital cams 2 using CF cards so I have many cards floating around my bags, and office. I am not concerned with what data is on which card because they are either empty-ready to go, in the camera (and able to review the data), or Full-ready to transfer to the computer.

We all have different needs, and processes. To your original question, exactly when are you wanting to know what is on each card?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2014, 02:19 am »
my practice is to get fairly large capacity cards ( I try to have a card that can hold at least 500-600 pictures for my camera for RAW mode pictures - currently dual 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pros) , use my older cards as backup if I fill that one up.

Then at the end of the day, I transfer that card to a folder with today's date like this 20140127. These folders sort efficiently. These are the original storage folders of raw photos.

I then verify that the pics are there on the PC after the transfer.

I then put the card back into the camera and format it. If I do not do this, heartbreak will result on a future outing.

Now I can safely process photos on the PC or go on another shoot without worries.

Then backup all your pics to a drive off of your PC regularly. Also delete pics that you will not want to keep (could be a substantial amount).

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:32 am »
I use the same shooting/storage methodology as jqp. I find two 16 gig cards suffice for any scenario I encounter. I download the RAW files to Adobe Lightroom, check the files for duds that need to be discarded, send the RAW files to separate folders/subfolders in my "pictures" folder that are organized by job and date. I keep RAW files, processed .tiff, and .jpegs in separate folders as well. I download RAWs immediately after shooting, wipe the card/s, and reformat. If you don't reformat regularly, you will lose data at some point when shooting. I have four 1 tb. hard drives in my PowerMac and two of them mirror the other two. Also have Time Machine back up to another 2 tb hard drive.