Wyetech Labs Topaz 211A

LP1

Wyetech Labs Topaz 211A
« on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:34 pm »
I have the opportunity to pick one of these up at a very favorable price, but know very little about the company or amp. I would partner it with my new Acoustic Zen Crescendos in an 18x30 room.

Anyone have experience with these amps and thoughts on mating it with the Crescendos? Thanks.

doorman

Re: Wyetech Labs Topaz 211A
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2014, 06:57 pm »
All things being equal, snap it up !!
I've heard the amp/ pre combinations several times, imho they are special pieces, built in Canada, built to
last, built to play music.
I'm not familiar with your speakers, though.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2014, 08:48 pm »
I would think the Crescendos would like more power. The amp is  18 watts per channel.

I stand corrected

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/acoustic-zen-crescendo-loudspeaker/

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:48 am »
I'm with doorman, if you pass these up you'll kick yourself later.  I quick glance over the review on SoundStage and the speaker review in Abso!ute Sound would have one thinking this may just be a very synergistic pairing.

Speaking from experience I would then recommend you search out a Wytech preamp as generally you'll get that synergy in spades with electronics from a single mfr.  My current setup of a VAC CPA-1 (with VAC updates) and pair of VAC PA-160 amps has without a doubt been the best combo I've owned.  I've owned pairings from Quicksilver, Audionics (tube pre, SS power), and Audio Research.  I always had either the pre or the power amp first and then acquired the other later and always the synergy was obvious.  The same has been true with most of the solid-state gear I have had.  And, yes, I've stumbled across some pairings that just didn't sound good.

Just my .02