flatpacks for X-LS?

ck42

flatpacks for X-LS?
« on: 16 Jan 2014, 07:40 pm »
Looking to build a pair of X-LS encore (not purchased yet) and am trying to decide if I want to build the cabinets or buy a flatpack.  Building myself is more of a 'time' issue.  Have a flatpack would really help here.
I know PE has a couple of .5cf packs...but not sure if there are any other favorable packs out there that I'm just not finding.
Suggestions?

Danny Richie

Re: flatpacks for X-LS?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2014, 01:20 am »
Looking to build a pair of X-LS encore (not purchased yet) and am trying to decide if I want to build the cabinets or buy a flatpack.  Building myself is more of a 'time' issue.  Have a flatpack would really help here.
I know PE has a couple of .5cf packs...but not sure if there are any other favorable packs out there that I'm just not finding.
Suggestions?

Welcome to AC.

Ben might knock you out a nice flat pack with his CNC machine.

Hey Ben...

baniels

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2014, 01:34 am »
Thanks, Danny.

Yes, indeed. I've been wanting to add these to my growing list of GR offerings.

Send me a PM with your email address and we'll discuss the details.

Ben

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2014, 11:37 am »
   I have built quite a few pairs of X-LS Encores for family, friends, and others. Great sounding speakers and a real bargain too. If you build a pair I highly recommending going with the Sonicap capacitors, Mills resistors, and No-Rez damping performance upgrade options. It raises the performance of these speakers to a whole new level. Definitely worth the additional cost. Also, I normally add about 1 to  1-1/2 ounces of Acousti-Stuf damping material in the back parts of the cabinet which helps deepens and tightens the bass and improves the midrange clarity too. Going with either the flat pack or the PE cabinets would be a good choice.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2014, 01:06 pm »
Hello, everyone.

I hope you don't mind if I might jump into this conversation with a couple questions concerning the X-LS speakers.

I've looked through the GR Research website, PE, Madisound, and I can't recall where else. I have no reference for any of the speakers' quality (sound quality, build quality) other than what the website tells me. ]I'm not asking Danny to defend his DIY speakers.]

First question is about sound: Can any of you (or any lurkers) give me a comparison like "the X-LS sounds a lot like such and such speaker"? I know it's all very subjective, and I could well get a dozen different answers, but I'd still get an idea, wouldn't I?

Second question: Are the boxes solid enough as is, or do they need extra damping material added as suggested by Ron?

Okay, third question: I think this is my first time noticing 'Ben', so my apologies if this is a noobish question, but Ben, what sort of boxes do you make and how are they different? [Perhaps, I ought to pm you?]

Thanks in advance if anyone responds.

Michael

baniels

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2014, 01:13 pm »
Michael,

When I get to the office this morning I'll post some pictures here to give you an idea of what I do.

Ben

jeffh

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:36 pm »
Michael,

When I get to the office this morning I'll post some pictures here to give you an idea of what I do.

Ben

Cool, I was about to ask you to introduce yourself since you are new to AudioCircle.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:48 pm »
I hate when I live up to my wife's suggestion that I'm getting dim (or did she say dimmer?) in my middle age, but I just noticed this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90911.0 "Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever."

How the heck did I miss that till just now?  :duh: Anyway, I'm reading through it now, but I still look forward to input here.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:15 pm »
Hello, everyone.

I hope you don't mind if I might jump into this conversation with a couple questions concerning the X-LS speakers.

I've looked through the GR Research website, PE, Madisound, and I can't recall where else. I have no reference for any of the speakers' quality (sound quality, build quality) other than what the website tells me. ]I'm not asking Danny to defend his DIY speakers.]

First question is about sound: Can any of you (or any lurkers) give me a comparison like "the X-LS sounds a lot like such and such speaker"? I know it's all very subjective, and I could well get a dozen different answers, but I'd still get an idea, wouldn't I?

Second question: Are the boxes solid enough as is, or do they need extra damping material added as suggested by Ron?

Okay, third question: I think this is my first time noticing 'Ben', so my apologies if this is a noobish question, but Ben, what sort of boxes do you make and how are they different? [Perhaps, I ought to pm you?]

Thanks in advance if anyone responds.

Michael

I would agree with Ron. I have built a pair of X-LS Encores and a X-CS Encore. All three were upgraded.

As for what other speakers they sound like I really can't say because they sound better than anything I have listened to except for the pair of N1X's I built. I'll try to put it in perspective. The upgraded X-LS Encores sound better than my Klipsch Reference Series RB-81 II's and my PSB Image B6's. I was able to take the PSB's into a local dealer and compare them to what they had on hand. These included Def Tech StudioMonitor 55's, a couple of Energy models, Martin Logan Motion 4's, Bowers & Wilkins 685B's and CM5's. The PSB Image B6's sounded better than everything except the B&W CM5's which were only a little bit better.

So here's the comparison. The X-LS Encores sounded a lot better than the PSB Image B6's which means they would outclass the B&W CM5's ($1,500 pair) by a considerable margin. However, I can't tell you what I would consider an even match would be because I haven't heard it yet.

I would always use damping material. It is not a question of solidness. The damping material doesn't make the box any more solid, it reduces resonances which can alter the sound in an undesirable way.

Hope this helps

Mike

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:21 pm »
Mike,

Here's a  :thumb: Heck ya, that helps a lot! Thank you.

I know what the PSB Image speakers sound like, so I can relate to your comparisons.

baniels

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:46 pm »
Cool, I was about to ask you to introduce yourself since you are new to AudioCircle.

That's a good suggestion. My name is Ben Daniels. I go by the same username on various other audio forums, some I frequent more often than others. I started talking to Danny last fall, which prompted me to poke my head in here now and then. I am currently working on flatpacks for Danny's desktop speaker design. I'll begin producing the first batch of those in the next few days.

I live in Southeast Iowa. Audio, woodworking, and speaker building have been hobbies of mine for a number of years. Those hobbies, coupled with an interest in engineering, several years of 3D cad work, and some work-related exposure to other forms of CNC (namely waterjet and drag knife), eventually led me to build a large format CNC router last spring.

Here are some pictures of my work. I always engineer the cabinets with the final assembly in mind. I know how tricky it can be when pieces start to swim around in the glue under the pressure of clamps. I use lots of dadoes for bracing, and rabbet joints for corners. I use Plum Creek MDF2, and optionally Baltic Birch plywood. The Plum Creek stuff is very dense, machines very well, and holds a screw much better than the fuzzy stuff you find at the home center. I typically stock 3/4 and 1/2 MDF, and 12 and 18mm Baltic Birch.

This is two pairs of front-ported N3's:

Here is a pair of X-MTM's:

Here is a dual front-facing 12" sub box:

chip

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
Nice work on the flatpacks and welcome to AC  :thumb:

Flatpacks are very handy for the non woodworking people and help for those that still want that DIY task.

jeffh

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:11 pm »
...eventually led me to build a large format CNC router last spring.

That is a dream of mine.  Would like to hear more about that build...maybe in another thread.

Your flat packs look Super nice and well thought out.  I usually like to cut my own, but yours look so nice and so easy to assemble with all those dadoes and rabbet joints I may have to reconsider.

Jeff

Ron

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:13 pm »
  I agree with chip. All the cuts look very precise and professional. Excellent work Ben!  :thumb:  Hope you get a lot of orders from those wanting to build their own speaker systems.

Ron

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:47 pm »
Very nice....you have a pm, Ben.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:21 pm »
Nice design and CNC work, Ben.  Welcome to AC!

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:40 pm »

Your flat packs look Super nice and well thought out.  I usually like to cut my own, but yours look so nice and so easy to assemble with all those dadoes and rabbet joints I may have to reconsider.

Jeff

+1, very nice Ben  :thumb:
Maybe you should start a thread  on  the different flat packs  you have available  with  info / pricing etc ...

-jay

TheLaw612

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:44 pm »
My Lord this could have saved me some headaches and time on my first build... This could be a great resource for those of us with less than average woodworking skills.

baniels

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:08 pm »
chip, jeffh, Ron, mresseguie, Hank, Captainhemo: Thank you!

Captain, yes I will probably do that soon. My website is slowly coming together. I will have it ready enough to accept orders for the desktop speakers next week. I'll be making the first batch of those this weekend.

I am slowly building a stock of Danny's designs. So far I have the N3 (front and rear ported), the X-MTM, and the Little Giant Killers (desktop full range). The X-LS will be next when I can put in the CAD time. I also have a nice design for the LS9's - but I won't be selling those until I build them out for myself first. They are such a large design, using so much material, I want to be the guinea pig for those (it doesn't hurt that I also WANT them :green:).

Current pricing on the above (subject to change)

N3 - $425/pair
X-MTM - $500/pair
LGK - $80/pair (but the first 12 pair will sell for $66, so keep an eye on that thread. I will be posting a coupon there when I share the link to purchase)

I was able to ship the N3's in a large double-walled box for about $80 (including box, packing, handling) to the east coast. I am centrally located, so that is pretty representative of most distant destinations. For really big items, I can ship a crate weighing less than 300 lbs anywhere in the country for about $200, assuming a commercial address. Add 100 or so for residential. That is via FedEx LTL freight.

BK_856er

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:49 pm »
Excellent news and looking really good  :thumb:

BK