New to discless audio, am I on the right track?

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
New to discless audio, am I on the right track?
« on: 15 Jan 2014, 05:14 am »
Hello All,
I have an Oppo BDP 105 that I use to spin SACD/ DVD-A Hirez &CD for 2channel listening. I would ultimately like to get these discs to file on an External drive  to the Oppo's Asynchronous DAC and control them with an ipad.... OK bear with me...

I think I need two ext hard drives, one for connection to the Oppo and one for back up. I was thinking of a Western digital 2TB at about 99 bucks a piece...

Then I need some kind of software, like Foobar? Jriver to sort the files

So am I close? "cause this seems very daunting...and I haven't even gotten to getting the music to files yet  Thanks in advance, Pete

mcgsxr

Re: New to discless audio, am I on the right track?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm »
You're on the right track to buy at least 2 HD's, you will want an active drive and a backup for sure.

As for the Oppo, I don't own one, but I think you could use it as described in 2 ways.

1 - attach the HD directly to the Oppo and use the player to sort through the music and play and decode it.
2 - attach the HD to a computer, and then the Oppo to that computer, and then use the iPad as suggested.

You will have many choices for s/w to replay the music. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2014, 02:23 pm »
Pete, I've  used external HD and a 4 bay NAS for about two years now and in that time I've had 6 WD HD die on me, so I switched to Seagate and not one of those has died. Just my 2 cents, but I'd stay away from WD HD.

Mike

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2014, 02:29 pm »
+1 on mikeeastman's post. Have heard many cautionary stories like his. I bought a Seagate 2TB "Backup Plus" USB3 HD for $99 a couple months ago; might be a better choice.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2014, 02:47 pm »
Of course you are also going to need a way of ripping the DSD data from your SACD discs to the hard drives. I believe the only way to currently do this is using and an old hacked PS3.

DTB300

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:51 pm »
+1 on mikeeastman's post. Have heard many cautionary stories like his. I bought a Seagate 2TB "Backup Plus" USB3 HD for $99 a couple months ago; might be a better choice.
Bought one of these last week at Microcenter for $89

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2014, 11:23 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I will stay away from Western Digital. How would I use a NAS? Would I be able to use wifi to operate the NAS from the iPad? Is this a better way to get these files to the oppo? Thx

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2014, 01:47 am »
Thanks for the input.  I will stay away from Western Digital. How would I use a NAS? Would I be able to use wifi to operate the NAS from the iPad? Is this a better way to get these files to the oppo? Thx

Nonsense. I've had Seagate drives fail on me, never Western Digital. If you want to find apocryphal tales of hard drive failure, you can find them for any brand you pick. Manufacturers calculate MTBF: mean time between failure. All hard drives fail sooner or later.

More usefully, get an NAS drive. They are built for low vibration so they perform better in audio applications. They are also built for longer MBTF. All consumer grade drives will be inferior in that regard, however NAS drives are not much more expensive. A Western Digital Red (NAS) 2TB drive is $99.

Stay away from bundled enclosures. Get an enclosure with an Oxford chipset--something like the Oyen Digital single drive enclosure.

Use a firewire connection so your USB bus is not competing for bandwidth with the hard drive. Use a Mac Mini. The Oppo will work ok, but a dedicated USB Dac will be better. Try a Schiit Bifrost DAC (amazingly good) or move up to something like a Tranquility SE. Asynchronous USB is just a buzzword. It doesn't necessarily mean a better DAC. Many good, many mediocre DACs are asynchronous. It's like buying an amp based on wattage--meaningless as a yardstick.

Good luck.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2014, 03:41 am »
Pete, I've  used external HD and a 4 bay NAS for about two years now and in that time I've had 6 WD HD die on me, so I switched to Seagate and not one of those has died. Just my 2 cents, but I'd stay away from WD HD.

Mike

My Seagate failed after about 20 uses so I've been using WD!  :scratch:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2014, 06:04 am »
OK, so I am guessing a NAS is a wifi streaming hard drive? I have a 2TB Apple Time Capsule that is wifi connected to the oppo. If I put music on the apple and wifi stream it to the Oppo...Is that a NAS?  I will basically starting this discless endeavor from scratch...Maybe I should clarify:
 I want HI rez shiny discs and my Cd's eventually to be in an uncompressed file. I want to start buying HI REZ downloads...I realize that the sacd and dvd-A ripping is going to be an animal I won't immediately start.   My first goal is to get the Cds properly ripped, stored and able to be played via a playlist with an ipad.   I am not sure that this is possible, but my research seems to be that the ipad would be wifi connected to the hard drive somehow and the ext drive actually sends the file to the DAC (and yes I plan on a getting a dedicated DAC but I feel that getting the files should be first)..I will use the Oppo until I buy a DAC...I would like the Bryston BDP and DAC combo, but that does not address the DSD issue for now, so the Oppo will be the DAC until I can decide on something else..I am limited on computer expertise, although I can operate one at work etc... So the mechanics and products that I need to do this is vague to me  so I appreciate the help, Pete

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2014, 06:34 am »
This is not quite the way you're going to go but this is how I did it - to ease your confusion a bit.

I've been using a laptop. I've downloaded files (.WAV and Flac) into my computer using Windows media player, Foobar, EAC and eventually/finally JRiver (plus a few others  :o  ) They're stored as music files in the computer. I've switched music players several times. I've even used 30 day trials to test out media players while downloading music into my computer. From there, you can "transfer" the files into whichever media player you eventually choose.

It took a while but I would just download the music as I was working on the computer or even doing something else over a period of months. Eventually, you'll get it done - afterward, it's hard to remember that you put any effort into it.

Then I just bought a USB DAC and just hooked it right into the computer.

Basically, if you want to start and play around without committing too much time and money, you can just start downloading music in the best music lossless files (I forget what Apple's is - ALAC? AIFF?) for now.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2014, 08:22 am »
OK, I have a windows 7 laptop that I could start the downloading process which seems easy enough... and I assume I can put them on a ext drive and then to the Oppo but i have some confusion on my part on how that gets controlled, I really don't want the laptop attached during playback.......maybe I mean i need a music server? not a NAS? I don't know...I appreciate the suggestion...

Austin08

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:40 am »
OK, I have a windows 7 laptop that I could start the downloading process which seems easy enough... and I assume I can put them on a ext drive and then to the Oppo but i have some confusion on my part on how that gets controlled, I really don't want the laptop attached during playback.......maybe I mean i need a music server? not a NAS? I don't know...I appreciate the suggestion...

You could rip/download music files to your hdd then hook it up to Oppo via Asyn USB. On your ipad, go to app store and down load Oppo media HD app so you can control your music. The Oppo media HD app is not perfect yet. You can not create playlist just yet. (Oppo is working on it). But you can select album, song to play.

OTOH, You can leave your hdd attack to your lap/desk top. Download Jriver media player or any other media player and use their remote control app to push/pull music files to or from Oppo player via DLNA or hardwire via ethenet or usb.

In both case, all your componens have to be on the same network.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:16 am »
You could rip/download music files to your hdd then hook it up to Oppo via Asyn USB. On your ipad, go to app store and down load Oppo media HD app so you can control your music. The Oppo media HD app is not perfect yet. You can not create playlist just yet. (Oppo is working on it). But you can select album, song to play.

OTOH, You can leave your hdd attack to your lap/desk top. Download Jriver media player or any other media player and use their remote control app to push/pull music files to or from Oppo player via DLNA or hardwire via ethenet or usb.

In both case, all your componens have to be on the same network.

This sounds doable to me!  Thanks!

JerryLove

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:44 pm »
OK, so I am guessing a NAS is a wifi streaming hard drive?
"Network attached storage". Think of it as a file-server. Yes: those files could be sent over wi-fi; and yes: you could stream them.

I want HI rez shiny discs and my Cd's eventually to be in an uncompressed file.
WTH would you want "uncompressed"? You should at least be using a lossless compression like FLAC.

I want to start buying HI REZ downloads...I realize that the sacd and dvd-A ripping is going to be an animal I won't immediately start.   My first goal is to get the Cds properly ripped, stored and able to be played via a playlist with an ipad.   I am not sure that this is possible, but my research seems to be that the ipad would be wifi connected to the hard drive somehow and the ext drive actually sends the file to the DAC
Jim Salk actually sells a player that does exactly what you are looking for. It can take an internal hard drive, or stream, it outputs to a DAC, and the entire thing can be controlled via iPad.

http://www.salkstream.com/

BTW: "High dynamic range" trumps "Sampling rate" and "bit depth" every time. I've got a good amount of 96khz "studio master" stuff that crap for sound quality.

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?sort=dr&order=desc

For reference purpose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

raysracing

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:28 pm »
I am very impressed with my Win 7. JRMC and Jremote via my iphone 5 set-up.  I actually find myself enjoying a little "alone" time making playlists, getting cover art, tagging, etc.  Jremote works better than all of my other iOS media remotes (apple, Roku, Sony) as well.  Most are unintuitive, slow, glitchy, but not Jremote. It operates Smooth and makes sense.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:58 pm »
"Network attached storage". Think of it as a file-server. Yes: those files could be sent over wi-fi; and yes: you could stream them.
 WTH would you want "uncompressed"? You should at least be using a lossless compression like FLAC.
 Jim Salk actually sells a player that does exactly what you are looking for. It can take an internal hard drive, or stream, it outputs to a DAC, and the entire thing can be controlled via iPad.

http://www.salkstream.com/

BTW: "High dynamic range" trumps "Sampling rate" and "bit depth" every time. I've got a good amount of 96khz "studio master" stuff that crap for sound quality.

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?sort=dr&order=desc

For reference purpose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Yes, I meant Lossless.... :duh:
I did look into the Salk Stream or Salk Player, I could not figure out what did what...as you see, I am a bit confused...

I like the idea of using a EXt hard drive and connect to the Oppo for a DAC until I get a better one, and control from Ipad with the Oppo App...It sems like the easiest and lowest cost to get into discless audio...I think,......I also like the Salk idea, and I almost bought one at the show in Fl when I heard the SS8s for the first time, but I was not sure how I would use it...and I think I would need to hard wire it into my room with ethernet, which I do not have a wire to run through the house...and then I would still need the ipad controller and ext drive...I currently have a great wifi signal in my room, not sure If I can use the Salk stuff with the existing wifi...will get with Jim later next week....the learning curve is steep for me...
I am very impressed with my Win 7. JRMC and Jremote via my iphone 5 set-up.  I actually find myself enjoying a little "alone" time making playlists, getting cover art, tagging, etc.  Jremote works better than all of my other iOS media remotes (apple, Roku, Sony) as well.  Most are unintuitive, slow, glitchy, but not Jremote. It operates Smooth and makes sense.

is your Win 7 machine hooked to your gear, because I am trying to not to have a computer hooked up and running in the room when I'm playing music, thx

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions....

raysracing

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2014, 01:40 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions....

My PC is in the room, but it is 15+ feet from my listening position. Even with the loud chassis fan on (will replace with a 19db fan soon) I cannot hear it once music starts.  Even the quiet passages are unaffected (or I don't care). But yes if I could run it in the next room I would.  I have thought about building/buying a large cabinet with Roxul (sp?) sound insulation in it and the wifi USB on a dongle outside the box.  That would probably quiet it down quite a bit. That and put some sound deadening pads on the metal chassis to absorb some sound too.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2014, 04:18 am »
OK, I have a slicked laptop, external hard drives, I'm about to download DBPoweramp and DVD AudioExtractor and start the rippping! Thanks for all your assistance...

one question: I do want to have Itunes reloaded with the music for my ipods etc...If I load itunes and the mp4 music that I saved on a hard drive prior to the stripping of the PC, will it affect the process or the music that I am about to rip? I am worried about any conflicts I may have using itunes in addition to the ripping software. Thanks in advance, Pete