Lionel Train Forums?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Lionel Train Forums?
« on: 13 Jan 2014, 01:08 am »
My father in law is looking to sell part of his massive collection.  Does anyone know of any forums that you like or prefer?

I found these one but didn't know if there are others that would be preferred.
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/index.php
http://www.lioneltrainforum.com/

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Lionel Train Forums?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm »
Have you considered going onto Neal Young's web site and contacting him?  I believe he's really big into the model trains.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2014, 01:02 pm »
Have you considered going onto Neal Young's web site and contacting him?  I believe he's really big into the model trains.
Who is that?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2014, 01:09 pm »
Sorry, I always misspell his name!

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2014, 01:23 pm »
I'd be inclined to put it on eBay. Yeah I know it's not always what you want but one time I posted about some stuff (worth a little bit) I wanted to sell (not audio, not trains) on a relevant forum and to this day I will always just avoid that forum because I think it's totally populated by sharks. Did I sound like a complete clueless newbie on that forum? Yeah probably, but it sounds you would be the same on a train forum.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2014, 02:06 pm »

He should start by determining the overall worth of the collection by having the collection appraised. He can contact the American Society of Appraisers for assistance. If he has an inventory of the pieces in the collection, great. If he has an inventory with pictures, even better. You've already mentioned that the collection has size but does it have depth, i.e. did he collect older pieces as well as modern? An appraiser should be able to look at an inventory and determine if an appraisal is warranted and worth the cost of the appraisal. And knowing the estimated value of the collection should help to keep the wolves away from your door. 

You could turn to local hobby shops for advice but I would suggest caution if you go that route. Best to first follow the advice of someone in the ASA. Good luck with your sale.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2014, 02:20 pm »
I have found very few folks who even consider buying collections.  I started buying up N scale gear in 1987 and created a huge empire of diesels and rolling stock.  When I finally realized I would never have time to build a layout and use 1/10th of what I own I came across a local fellow who takes a percentage of the sales at local train shows to sell my gear.  I've sold thousands of dollars of stuff through him.  All the hassle of transporting and setup are his and he sends me checks less his commissions.  That might be a route to explore by asking at  a local swap meet.