Extra heavily counterweight?

tricka

Extra heavily counterweight?
« on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:18 am »
Hi there
I have a heavy cart on my WTL (16.5 g) and find the two counterweights are sufficient to set tracking force. ANyone know if an extra heavy counterweight is available? or do I need to resort to the Blu-tac?

Thanks
Andy

Charisma12

Re: Extra heavily counterweight?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2014, 03:53 am »
I don't think there is an extra heavy counterweight available. But you can try to see if you can get an extra silver counterweight which is much heavier than the black one. In this case, you can use two silver ones instead of one silver and one black.

tricka

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2014, 05:35 am »
Ohhh, good idea - thanks

In the mean time I have this jury rigged:

not often you see one of these on a Simplex....

Erocka2000

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:19 pm »
I think you should also reverse your weights, putting the silver one closer to the golf ball.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2014, 01:07 am »
the version iii of this may be interesting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTC-fits-WELL-TEMPERED-TONEARM-UPGRADE-COUNTERWEIGHT-NON-EU-EXPORT-PRICE-/400623430105?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d470469d9

I'm using a counterweight from this seller on my Amadeus and it's excellent. I believe he fabricates counterweights to accommodate heavier cartridges  as well.

tricka

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2014, 01:15 am »
Thanks - just what I am looking for :)

I feel the counterweight is one area the WTL arm could be improved - anyone agree?

mannikman

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2014, 07:51 pm »
if u go down this route I would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you see improvements in performance over the original

Erocka2000

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2014, 08:36 pm »
Did you try reversing the weights to see if that helps at all?

SteevA

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm »
I think you should also reverse your weights, putting the silver one closer to the golf ball.
The silver one is the heavier of the two so you would want it further from the golf ball with a heavy cartridge.  I think the black one is just anodised alluminium while the silver one is stainless.

Steve

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2014, 11:15 pm »
if u go down this route I would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you see improvements in performance over the original

Go down the page here to the " does anyone use two counterweights" thread. Quite a few opinions on the sonic benefit of the after market counterweight here.