We Vinylized Gavin WITHOUT Paul

Scott F.

« on: 8 Aug 2004, 04:56 pm »
Does anybody elses head hurt besides mine?  

Whew...we went threw some liquor. :beer:

Well, it was a GREAT success even though the guy who's honor we were holding this get together WIMPED OUT (you know who you are)(and you know you are going to catch some serious crap about this)  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

First a BIG thank you to my lovely wife that did all of the cooking for us. It was all yummie :D

We all started the evening listening to the FleaPowered system for the comparisons. I picked that one just because of the greater resolution. We had the SystemDek 2X2/Rega 250 with Heavyweight/Super Elys/GrahamSlee Jazz Club as out analog source. The digital sources were the AH! NjoeTjoeb upsampled, Sony 777ES SACD and an Arcam 8SE used as a transport with the AudioNote 2.1 signature DAC. We used an NEC AVX 910 as a switching unit so we could compare the sources via the convienence of a remote.

I'll leave the individual comparisons to the other guys THAT SHOWED UP (PJ)  :lol:  but I'll say that we all came to the same conclusion that VINYL RULES. The Sony SACD came really close on a couple of occasions but overall that old, outdated and noisey technology still sounds best.

Once we finshed the analog vs digital comparisons (which didn't take that long), we all moved over to the Big Fun system and started rockin our brains out. For the rest of the evening we played tons of in-yer-face rock and roll really loud (just the way I like it).

We turned Bob onto Rob Zombie. For giggles, I pulled out my Sencore while we were crankin on Rob. At about 2 meters we per getting peaks at 111db.

That was actually pretty tame compared to the Nils Petter Molvear (sp). We were hitting peaks near 115db on big bass notes (I think they were higher but by that time the Glenlivet had settled in and can't remember so well). Everything in the house was shaking. The pictures on the walls were vibrating to death. Bob came down from getting some munchies and yelled "You should hear this upstairs!".

I'll stop typing now and go nurse the pounding in my head.

Heres the link to pics from last night.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&set_albumName=albup76

Oh Paul, you're welcome out anytime and we can do another comparison. Not to worry, the rack that you'll get strapped onto doesn't hurt that much.

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:11 pm »
Darn I forgot to mention, Mark (blackmore) came by before his Big Band gig last night too. He dropped off my foundation crusher power cord that I forgot his house and left us with Mr Magoo's Adventures in HiFi on vinyl.

After the booze set in, we completely forgot about it  :oops:  We really should have put it on, it would have been good for a belly laugh.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:20 pm »
Paul, I couldn't figure out how to move your post so I just copied it to this thread.

OK,

SOOOOO, I head out west towards the meeting yesterday.  I arrived at the 'meeting' a little before five.  

I notice there are only a couple cars in the driveway. . .so, I think to myself, am I a day early?  I then read the directions I printed out to see what it said. . . in the closing, it says "See you all Sunday."  SOOOO, I'm thinking, holy shit, I AM a day early.  Then, I turn around and leave, being WAAAAYYYYY to embarassed to go up to the door and say, "hey, I'm a day early, nice to meet you," etc.

Well, I come back home, check the website, and notice that the post said the meeting WAS on Saturday. . .ok, so, now I was DOUBLY embarassed.   :oops:  :oops:

It was a nice 70-mile round trip, though.  I stopped off at Lowes, got some spray adhesive, and other stuff.  I put up my 4" wedge foam. . .WOW!  When I'm listening, I put additional foam around my TV and on the floor leaning against my equipment and other places.  I already have Eigth Nerve room-treatments. . .holy shit did the foam make a SIGNIFICANT improvement.  My system has never sounded even as close as good as it does now.  I listened to 4 CDs straight. . .it was just fantastic!

By the way, G, read some comments on this post re the SN Tube Dac: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2778&start=0   :D

So mad I missed the meeting!

p

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:28 pm »
Dude!

You should have come in anyway.

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:31 pm »
At the time, thinking I was a day early, I REALLY felt like an idiot. . .

I got out of there ASAP!   :lol:

p

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:37 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy

p

Sure.... I bet you got too close to the house, you were feeling the pull from the dark side (tubes and vinyl) and you ran for the hills :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2004, 06:00 pm »
Scott ,
    Last night I think I heard your system here in NY , I had my windows open, sounded good and loud..... :jester: [/list:u]Thanks for the pictures , looks like you guys had some fun there !!! Could you tell me the size of your room....looks big in the photo's...and two systems...way to go !! Thanks !! :)

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2004, 06:15 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Scott ,
    Last night I think I heard your system here in NY , I had my windows open, sounded good and loud..... :jester: [/list:u]Thanks for the pictures , looks like you guys had some fun there !!! Could you tell me the size of your room....looks big in the photo's...and two systems...way to go !! Thanks !! :)

Had loads of fun.
My room is in my basement. It's 38 feet long. On the FleaPowered end it's 15' wide and on the side with the Big Fun system it's 12' wide. The acoustic ceiling varies from about 7' tall (because of ductwork) to about 7'-9". Over the concrete floor I just have throw rugs. I've only dampened the first reflections on the big end. It's a pretty decent room since it's so long and wide. Not too, too many buildups (in the upper bass) or nulls.

Praise the Lord I've got an understanding wife!!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2004, 06:34 pm »
Thanks Scott !! :)

G

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2004, 09:16 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Quote from: pjchappy

p

Sure.... I bet you got too close to the house, you were feeling the pull from the dark side (tubes and vinyl) and you ran for the hills :lol:

How's this for the dark side? I've been looking at cheap turntables all morning. Something for around 150$ or so total. I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5713054484&rd=1

The funny part is I have absolutely no place to put it and no albums to play. What do you think Scott? Will this do until I can afford to buy the Rega from Bob? Can I put a different tone arm on this and spiff it up?

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2004, 09:54 pm »
Quote from: G
How's this for the dark side? I've been looking at cheap turntables all morning. Something for around 150$ or so total. I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5713054484&rd=1

The funny part is I have absolutely no place to put it and no albums to play. What do you think Scott? Will this do until I can afford to buy the Rega from Bob? Can I put a different tone arm on this and spiff it up?

Should be fine for starters. If you get it, we can tweak the heck out of it to make it sound a bit better. I can't tell if the arm on this one is is replaceable but I doubt it can be.

steve k

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2004, 01:57 pm »
Hey Scott,
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Good thing you didn't have to push any cars this time. :o  :lol:

So which recordings on SACD came closest to the vinyl? And which CD's came closest to the vinyl?

Just curious.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2004, 02:58 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Hey Scott,
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Good thing you didn't have to push any cars this time. :o  :lol:

Sturg, we missed you!!

So which recordings on SACD came closest to the vinyl?

For me it was Gary Burtons Like Minds. We compared it to the Pure Audiophile blue vinyl version. The SACD was sounding pretty darned good.

Hot Rocks on vinyl is still the way to hear the Stones. The SACD was still just a bit forward but I'd guess alot of that was due to the original recording medium.

I'm going to sit down this evening and listen to refresh my memory on the rest of the SACD's. One thing is for sure, it definately has a leg up on standard Redbook. I may even pull the upsampling board out of the Tjeob and give that whirl again.

And which CD's came closest to the vinyl?

Ummmm.....none :lol:

Actually, the AudioNote was extremely smooth as you would expect. None of the gear sounded bad by any stretch. They all had their own flavor so there it comes down to system matching.

In general, the CD's were far more forward sounding than the SACD. The SACD did a really nice job but on some releases it was still a little too forward compared to the vinyl. In the end, the vinyl sounded the most natural and non-fatiguing.

steve k

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2004, 03:29 pm »
Interesting results. In my system, vinyl is usually the most forward, but not in a bad way. Must just be system differences.

How did Kind of Blue fare just out of curiosity (since I've heard all three versions in my system)?

And thirdly, what's the advantage of pulling the upsampler out of the Ah?
steve

Bostekrisco

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2004, 04:58 pm »
Well it's Monday morning about 10:30 and I finally woke up from Saturday night. Not really, but it seems like it. Yesterday was a painful reminder that I can't drink like a 20-something anymore, though I still seem to try from time to time.

Thanks again Scott for a great time.

We vinylized G and Robin Trowerized Kenrick. Not bad for one evening's work. The Crusade continues...

Oh and Paul, the old " I got there today, only to find out it is tomorrow, untill I got home yesterday and found out it was really today" excuse is a little worn isn't it?  :D

Bob

pjchappy

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2004, 05:32 pm »
To prove I WAS there, there was a white Nissan Maxima (I believe. . . ) in the driveway, along w/ some sort of van, which was parked close to the house.

:P

p

Scott F.

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:15 pm »
Interesting results. In my system, vinyl is usually the most forward, but not in a bad way. Must just be system differences.

How did Kind of Blue fare just out of curiosity (since I've heard all three versions in my system)?

And thirdly, what's the advantage of pulling the upsampler out of the Ah?
steve

I plan on listening to all 3 KOB's again tonight so I'll let you know tomorrow. Wanna come out and hear them tonight?

Pulling out the upsampler should relax the sound of the AH!. Right now the sound is pretty far forward in the soundstage. I'm having a hard time  remembering how smooth the player was before I installed the upsampler (it's been about two years). thats why I'm going to yank the upsampler. That and I want to hear it side by side to the AudioNote. Who knows, the AH! may sound better without it in the FleaPowered system. It's worth a try.

PJ, Yep, you were there alright. the Nissan was Bob's and the Van (school bus) is what we took on vacation. I guess G, Mike and Kendrick hadn't shown up yet.

Like Bob mentioned, you missed a really good drunk. :beer:

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: Bostekrisco
Well it's Monday morning about 10:30 and I finally woke up from Saturday night. Not really, but it seems like it. Yesterday was a painful reminder that I can't drink like a 20-something anymore, though I still seem to try from time to time.

Thanks again Scott for a great time.

We vinylized G and Robin Trowerized Kenrick. Not bad for one evening's work. The Crusade continues...

You are more than welcome.

I feel your pain. Did you snooze through the Cards beating up on the Mets like I did?

Oh G, you left your Jazziz CD. I'll get it to you next itme we get together.

drummerwill

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2004, 09:36 pm »
Yo Scott
   Sorry I missed it , was way to busy to go west. Next time

Willie

steve k

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2004, 10:01 am »
Scott wrote:
I plan on listening to all 3 KOB's again tonight so I'll let you know tomorrow. Wanna come out and hear them tonight?

Sorry I couldn't make it out, Scott. What were the results?
steve