H frame Alphas with ProAc studio 100s

caseyblu

H frame Alphas with ProAc studio 100s
« on: 1 Jan 2014, 09:51 pm »
Hello all, new to the forum and to Open Baffle speaker design.

I'm putting together a pair of H frames subs, with Eminence Alpha 15as, on friday using the dimensions from MJK's paper on OB, U, and H frame bass performance.  Thought I'd put my project up on the board as it comes together and I experiment with setup: guidance, criticism, encouragement, cautionary tales etc. are welcome. 

I'm pairing them with ProAc Studio 100s, in an acoustically treated basement space (~24x18x8) and am going to see how they do as low end reference for mixing records.  I sit about 3 feet from the speakers in the front third of the room, I usually listen between 75db and 80db, occasionally louder to double check level and frequency balance, never much higher than ~90db. 

I've got a crown cdi 1000 to power the subs (275watts @ 8ohms) and I'll be using Metric Halo's mio console software and one of their multi-out DAC units for crossover and DSP.

I'll hopefully be setting them up friday evening, measuring response and tweaking from there.  I'll update as things come together.  I've got more details regarding my room/setup/what-I-mix if necessary.  Feel free to chime in if anything seems amiss in my plan!

Thanks!
Casey

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2014, 05:20 pm by caseyblu »

zimmer64

• My blog
Re: H frame Alphas with ProAc studio 100s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2014, 09:05 pm »
It will be interesting to hear your listening impressions. Where do you plan to cross the subs? I use mine in a flat baffle in a FAST setup with a Fostex fullrange driver. Asymetrical crossover at 200Hz 2nd order LR and 500 Hz 2nd order Bessel using a miniDSP. I used MJK's worksheets for the design and tweaked very little by ear.

Have fun!

Michael

caseyblu

Re: H frame Alphas with ProAc studio 100s
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2014, 09:12 pm »
Gonna cross them over between 80 and 120hz.  I'll play with it once I get them set up - the mio console uses the linkwitz-riley 24db/oct filters for crossover. 

Sounds like your setup is pretty cool.  I've looked at fostex fullrange drivers for the living room hi-fi. 

Probably building these tomorrow now.  Also've been emailing with John over at AE speakers and might sub out dipole 15s when I get the $ together. 

Overall super excited.