can you compare the differences between Tempest and Etesian?

Chris_B

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has listened to the two pre's and can share their thougths on how they differ sonically.  My setup would use <2 meter IC and my source is up to the challenge so I don't think the passive sould be exluded.  I don't plan on adding a turntable anytime soon.

thanks,

Chris

odysseyhk

Re: can you compare the differences between Tempest and Etes
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2004, 03:36 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has listened to the two pre's and can share their thougths on how they differ sonically.  My setup would use <2 meter IC and my source is up to the challenge so I don't think the passive sould be exluded.  I don't plan on adding a turntable anytime soon.

thanks,

Chris

We ave both Etesian and Tempest in the showroom.  The Etesian is very transparent, very low noise floor and the sound is a bit towards lean.  Tempest is more emotionally involved and you feel the touch.  This is the feedback we have when connected Etesian/Tempest with Stratos Dual Mono and Nightingale.   I used 2M IC and it should not be problem with Etesian.

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2004, 03:43 pm »
The Etesian will be arriving tomorrow (finally...). I will let you guys know about what I think...

About having 2m I/Cs, well...I will be using the Etesian with a 2m pair of Gronebergs. I certainly hope this combo is ok...even though I do believe that for passive amps, one should keep the interconnects as short as possible.

Alex

Chris_B

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2004, 09:22 pm »
odysseyhk - thanks for the impressions.  Did you think the Tempest was noisy?  I am coming off of a tube preamp and I do like a little "richness" so maybe the Tempest would be more to my liking.  I am really curios about the Etesian though.  

Alex - I am looking forward to hearing what you think about the two preamps.

alex_odyssey_sg

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2004, 03:32 pm »
Well..the Etesian finally arrived today...I just had about 30 mins of listening time. But already...it has impressed quite a fair bit. Certainly, the Etesian doesn't sound like its USD350 price tag. Anyway, I will reserve my comments for the time being until I get a better listen and more burn-in time...

Rock on!

odysseyhk

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2004, 05:03 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
odysseyhk - thanks for the impressions.  Did you think the Tempest was noisy?  I am coming off of a tube preamp and I do like a little "richness" so maybe the Tempest would be more to my liking.  I am really curios about the Etesian though.  

Alex - I am looking forward to hearing what you think about the two preamps.

I'm not saying Tempest is noisy.  The fact is that passive pre-amp has no active electronic component at all and it is absolutely quiet.  You will fill the different of noise floor.  In fact, it is not apple to apple comparison between active and passive pre-amp.

Since Tempest has the mm/mc phono stage, it is more subject to RF noise pick-up.  There was a post regarding tweak to avoid picking up RF noise with un-connected RCA input.  It is simple, get a RCA plug and short the input RCA.  The noise floor will reduce significantly.  However, it is still not comparable with Etesian which is absolute quiet.  

To me, I like Tempest more than Etesian if budget allows.  Etesian is so pure and simple and at the price point, it is unbeatable.  Since Etesian sounds a bit towards lean, I prefer to match it with Epiphony which is a bit more punchy than Nightingale.  However, I'm still awaiting for my Nightingale to fully break-in before a fair comment be made. :D

alex_odyssey_sg

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:47 am »
Errrr...the Etesian is currently out for home audition. But from the looks of the internal components and built, we really wonder how Klaus do it at this kind of price...

But from a brief second impression, the Etesian sound quite different from the Tempest. The main thing missing is the kind of low-end that Tempest is capable of producing. And the Tempest sounded more controlled while Etesian seems to have a wider soundstage (yes...honest!). Anyway, what I am hearing now may not be valid since the Etesian still needs some time to run in. But boy...it's certainly exciting!!

Will be back for more updates!