New line up for 2014?

boe

New line up for 2014?
« on: 30 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm »
Hello,

I heard a rumor that VS will have a new line up for 2014.   I don't know this person who told me it from Adam but they do work in the industry so I have to at least ask from people on this forum.   Is there any info about a new line up?   Will VS be at CES?

I have some VS4s and VS4IIIs that I love but could use a new center.   The vision might be a bit bulky and as people sit off center, I don't think I'll go LCR.   I got a great offer on a brand new ML Stage X but would be tempted to hold out for a new VS if they had something coming out soon.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: New line up for 2014?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:19 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

Happy New Year to you all!  I trust that you have all had wonderful holidays and perhaps some great listening experiences as well. If any of you have gotten some new stereo gear, congratulations!  Last month, several of our long-term customers ordered our big guns, with two customers opting for VR-9SE Mk2's, one going for the finally-in-production VR-100XS, and yes, we are in the home stretch of our ground breaking uber speaker, the VR-111XS (six tower system).  This pair was built with much input from our esteemed customer who wanted something that could approach symphonic levels in his small concert hall.  As he also owns VR-9SE Mk2 (for rear ambience) with VR-11SE Mk2 for his mains, he wanted a substantial improvement in every area, thus was born the 111 model. 

As this thread  is about VSA's new models for 2014, I'll make several posts that will enable our Audio Circle members a glimpse of what's coming out.  As usual, it will be a few months until the photos are released on our website, so here's a short list in advance.

VR-111XS :
With a total system weight of almost 5,000 lbs (spread out over six cabinets), the VR-111XS utilizes 44 pcs of custom-built drivers by Excel (Norway): 8 pcs magnesium dome tweeters with 4 pcs Heil Air Motion Transformer super tweeters, 8 pcs 5" Neo-motor magnesium midrange drivers, 16 pcs 7" magnesium mid-woofers, and 8 pcs powered 12" magnesium subwoofers in separate towers with 8 pcs 1,000-watt CIAudio custom-built amplifiers driving the subs. Yes, you read that correctly: each of the woofers has its own amplifier to provide control over the directivity beam designed into the subwoofer array.  Each woofer has four voice coils to enable servo control, implemented via back-emf sensors to ensure correct timing with the mid woofers.  These are operated in push-pull mode, loaded in sealed cabinets (12 cubic feet tapered labyrinths) for lowest propagation delay and highest transient speed.

The phase coherent crossover circuits are housed in separate cabinets for isolation, with each of the five frequency range boards separated from each other both physically and magnetically.  All parts are "floating" on their isolated boards and are custom-built for this model by Deulund, Jensen, Mundorf, V-Cap, and Goertz.  All internal wiring is to be the new ULTRA from Delphi.  Cabinet build quality might be considered to be excessive: our well known "active" Triple-Wall composite of concrete, HDF, hard rubber, and aerospace adhesives with 4" thickness (minimum) and approaching 6" in critical areas such as the front baffles.  Our tests conducted at JPL indicates that this cabinet design is 80% less "noisy" than 1" aluminum.  We will soon have a Youtube video showing a comparison of our cabinet measurements vs the competition, using a unique method developed by my consultant at JPL.  You will be able to see a live measurement as performed on each cabinet, with oscilloscope graphs showing the level of attenuation achieved by each method.  Needless to say, this will be fascinating.
We predict 96dB sensitivity at 8 ohms, with distortion below 0.8% and response from 8Hz to 80kHz, reaching a volume level that should be close to a live orchestra with a similar sense of ease and dimensionality at any volume level.

VR-66:
Projected to retail at $50,000/pr, this new model will feature many of the design elements of the VR-100XS in a smaller package.

UniField Model 2.5 Signature:
At $20,000/pr this will be the new reference standard in mini monitors. It's a three way featuring all magnesium drivers, including a coaxial midrange and tweeter.

VR-35 Mk2:
The new $10,000 version will offer a painted finish in either black or white, with removable grill cover.  Although white painted speakers have never been popular in the US, the white finish is "all the rage" in Europe, while black is the most popular in Asia (our main market) and the US.  As a high gloss finish would add substantial cost, we have found a matte satin finish with a very slight texture to add dimension.  The texture is composed of thousands of "micro dots" per square inch and looks somewhat like a high end powder-coat on metal.  Some observers compare it to a 'velvet' look and we admit it is very attractive. Finally, you'll be able to visually inspect the drivers.
There are minor changes to the crossover boards to provide a little more clarity and also upgraded cabinet damping.

VR-33 Mk2:
The new paint finish is optional at $4,500/pr (with the old price of $3,750 still current for the fabric wrapped version).

In an upcoming post we will list our new home theater models consisting of new center channels, surrounds, and subs.

Happy Listening,

Albert
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2015, 04:10 pm by Albert Von Schweikert »

boe

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2014, 03:16 am »
Thanks for posting.   I certainly look forward to your upcoming post about the new HT models.   Hopefully you'll consider making a dark cherry center that matches the wonderful SR models.   Everyone who sees my HT before hearing it mentions the fine furniture like cabinetry on my VS 4SRs.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:12 am »
Has anyone seen one drop of ink regarding VS at the CES?  I haven't.

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:46 am »
I don't think VS participated this year.

Holli82

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:13 pm »
I went to CES (hope to see you next year Jack!)

No VS this year

Rodney

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:07 am »
Me too Rodney!

DEV

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2014, 01:08 pm »
Me too Rodney!

Hi Jack,

look forward to seeing the 11's in your room and your impressions, what's being referred to above is that your set-up with placing your 9's in the rear?

When do you plan to have your room completed and everything set back up.

When will Jim be getting his new speaker system, would love to see pics once all set-up

I'm really enjoying my AF-1, have you received your Elite arm as of yet? If not when is it expected. I look forward to comparisons.

You should check out a new site called www.audioshark.org You will see allot of familiar faces and would be great if you would join, introduce yourself and contribute :) I only wish I was closer so I could come by and meet and experience such a marvelous system.

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2014, 02:13 pm »
Not my room DEV  :lol: I always find it funny when I go in there and see the twins of my mains being used for multichannel  :lol: :lol: :lol:

My room should be done in a couple of weeks and then the laborious part begins, getting it to sound exactly the way I want it.  The 11s come my way hopefully three months later. My 9s are spoken for so in the meantime I had asked permission to use J's 9s when they go. As the 11/111 owner is going strictly 2-channel his 9s will be returned to him and they will be in his HT with a Visiun Signature, VR-4 SR Mk2s for rears and a Gotham. I get the 11s on trade-in for the 111s.

With the impending arrival of gloss black 7'4" behemoths I had to change the look of the room a bit. I decided to lighten it up with a change of color scheme and stronger vertical design elements, that and adding lighting goodies. Basically change it a bit so the room will appear larger and thus the speakers less dominating. That's the idea anyway. The only way we'll know for sure is when the racks, furniture and loudspeakers are back in there.

I still don't have my Elite but that's okay. At least I'll still be playable while I wait. I'm letting go of my TW because I need the rack space. Everyday I look at the AF1 in its box. Tough for a vinyl addict, I tell ya!

roxito

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2014, 10:10 am »
Looking forward to updates on the new lineup. Esp looking forward to know more about the center channel. Hoping it will be slim enough ( under 6 inch tall) to place before my TV without blocking too much of the display area.  Unifield 2.5 also sounds very exciting.

boe

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2014, 12:19 am »
Looking forward to updates on the new lineup. Esp looking forward to know more about the center channel. Hoping it will be slim enough ( under 6 inch tall) to place before my TV without blocking too much of the display area.  Unifield 2.5 also sounds very exciting.

I could live with something about the size of the ML Stage or even slightly bigger if it was easily mountable and it was easy to direct it down like the Martin Logan Stage.   I have one room with the stage and while I'd prefer to have something better matched for my VS, I couldn't imagine having some huge thing that blocks my view of my TV or that I'll trip over as it sits in front of my cabinet.

boe

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2014, 02:30 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,
In an upcoming post we will list our new home theater models consisting of new center channels, surrounds, and subs.

Happy Listening,

Albert

Hello,

I know some info was posted about splitting the lines.   Was there anything on a new center?