repairing tuner dial cord

beat

« on: 7 Aug 2004, 09:54 pm »
Hey guys,
I am not sure what to even call this thing, but its the cord that moves the indicator on a marantz tuner. It is like a resin coated cotton maybe. I cant seem to get it back the way it was. I was replacing some lamps and had to unhook it from the pulleys and I think maybe I stretched it a little. Aside from that, I am sure I miscalibrated the thing..anyone experienced with these? I am sure many other analog tuners are similar if not the same..
thanks, beat

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2004, 10:39 pm »
beat,

It's been a while since I've restrung a tuner (like 20 years maybe) but IIRC one end is usually attached to a spring to keep the dial cord tensioned properly. They usually run from the pully on the variable capacitor through a pulley or two, make several turns around the tuning shaft and then across the tuning dial with the pointer attached somewhere along the line, another pulley or two and back to the tuning capacitor pulley.

If you need replacement dial cord it's available from Antique Electronic Supply in Arizona.  Look under "Radio Parts & Restoration" then "Radio Dial Items" on their site. Since their site uses frames I didn't post the direct URL as doesn't include the navigation.

If all else fails I'd be happy to fix it for you. I still feel like I owe you for the coffee. :D

Mike

beat

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2004, 10:57 pm »
Thanks M,
Between what you told me and intuition, I figured it out. I ended up putting a knot where the two ends come together to shorten it up just a bit. After looking at it, I realized that you can calibrate the tuner shaft after the fact..so that is what I did..yes I worked on it while it was plugged in!! Is that so bad?? Seeing as how people used to pay for shock therapy, I figured if I got a jolt I would be saving money..right? I havent gotten in touch with my friend in littleton regarding the coffee yet but I think by thanksgiving we will be supplying them..If so, I'll have him hook you up with good deals.
peace, beat