Audio Wish List 2014...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Audio Wish List 2014...
« on: 25 Dec 2013, 04:07 pm »
With 2013 slowly coming to an end, I find myself considering what 2014 will bring in the line of new audio gear and music selections. Next year will prove to be interesting as the wish list will be for the addition of a turntable and phono-stage to my audio Xanadu. As for music, a strong desire to build a great collection of psychedelic rock and to track down some more of my rarer Gothic bands on CD or vinyl. To finish off the year, a new homemade, CD storage rack in the spare room closet for my "mainstream" music and an audio stand for my gear.

So what are your audio plans for 2014  :scratch:

Be well...

Mag

Re: Audio Wish List 2014...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2013, 05:17 pm »
Pretty much everything has been upgraded over the years except for speakers. So I'm hoping to have funds available sometime in the coming year for the Model T. And I think I will get some more trance music as I need to expand my electronic music collection.

A BDA-2 would be a nice addition but I'm happy with the BDA-1 so that is not a top priority and can wait a year or two. 8)

Alphonse

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2013, 02:45 am »
I have been thinking about trying a 5.1 surround system mainly for music for a long time. But, besides the cost consideration my main hold back has been the lack of new high definition surround content in Jazz, blues, rock, genres. I have about 25 SACDs, 25 DVD-Audio, and most recently 8 music Blu-Rays. Not enough to justify in my mind or wallet. So, my wish list is for new surround music content.

Current System - BP6, PP300SSTs, Oppo BDP-105, Dynaudio Confidence 5s.

Cheers!

Al

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2013, 03:34 am »
Hi Laundrew and all Audio Circle members.
My wish list for 2014.
Bottlehead Stereomour and Bottlehead Reduction phono stage.
A few Blue Jeans interconnects.
That's it, no more, but no less.

Guy 13

Right now my system is:
Rega P3 w/Exact MM
Rega Apollo CDP
Bellari V-129 Phono stage
Decware SE-84C+ SET amplifier
Sennheiser HD-650/570
Bottlehead Crack (Soon on the way to planet Vietnam)
Audio 13 speakers. (On each sides):
Two 12" Eminence Acoustinator in H frame configuration
driven by GRResearch SA-1 300w plate amplifier and Audio Nirvana 8" full range driver. (Soon will be replaced with Omega 7F)
Interconnect Signal Audio and speaker cables Audio 13 home made 2 X 14Ga on each branch.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2013, 09:14 am by Guy 13 »

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2013, 06:39 am »
All I want to do is to be able to keep what i got

Laundrew

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2013, 02:43 pm »

So true - just before Christmas, Lady Laundrew's plant manager had them out on the floor and told that they were closing next year because of the high cost of operating the plant in Ontario and moving production to Mexico - 500 full time and 100 part time, non-minimum wage positions gone. When you add that to the Kellogg's and Heinz plants also closing next year - that's almost 2000 jobs.

Just wait to see what happens when the idiots put electricity up by another 30-40 percent in the next three years. Our provincial government    is nothing more than economic terrorists - oh well, at least they are creating jobs in Mexico  :duh:

Be well...

PRELUDE

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2013, 09:28 pm »
That is very true if someone can understand it correctly Wirenut.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2013, 09:43 pm »
...i would try a BIT to improve performance :D

al.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2013, 10:05 pm »
This year i basically cleaned up my music collections.Extended the Rock Lp s to include the best of the 21st century, And weeded out another 1,000 or so Lps.

I accidentally auditioned a pair of Magnepan 20.7s when I was thinking about a turntable upgrade from the Rega P5 to a Rega P8.

Forget the turntable.. i want the Magnepan 20.7s.
$14,500. is a lot of money. So I have to save for awhile...

Interrupting saving money is hearing about a new interconnect from Cardas.
Cardas used to be interesting to me, but not enough clarity for my taste. The new Cardas lines gain clarity, and the Parsec still has a little famous Cardas warmth and add in clarity. So I bought one pair just before Christmas (arrived Saturday prior to Xmas) and am very happy with it. Big revelation compared to the IC I had in that spot. Happy sweet strings to die for. (Funny how a part i thought was really good suddenly clearly is inferior.. And i have to ask myself what was i thinking! That good.) So a good place for the new IC. Still deciding which other IC I want to replace, and which I will keep. My Kimber Hero IC are pretty fine too. just different, very neutral (I clearly can hear the Cardas Parsec through the final seven meters of Kimber Hero.. so...)  My two one meter Kimber KCAG I plan on selling.

So once I settle on the remaining  places I want to add Cardas Parsec. then the push to save up for the Magnepans.. Maybe by next Fall I can swing the big Maggies.

That will be a big day when i install those 20.7 babies in my apartment LOL

1ZIP

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2013, 10:14 pm »
A new preamp for my second system,  hopeful a BP-17 at a decent price.

PRELUDE

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm »
So true - just before Christmas, Lady Laundrew's plant manager had them out on the floor and told that they were closing next year because of the high cost of operating the plant in Ontario and moving production to Mexico - 500 full time and 100 part time, non-minimum wage positions gone. When you add that to the Kellogg's and Heinz plants also closing next year - that's almost 2000 jobs.

Just wait to see what happens when the idiots put electricity up by another 30-40 percent in the next three years. Our provincial government    is nothing more than economic terrorists - oh well, at least they are creating jobs in Mexico  :duh:

Be well...
Laundrew,
First of all, Sorry about the closing news but this is all about how greedy all of the manufactures are in right now not about higher cost of operating the company. If they know that there is a place on the earth no matter what you would call it, China , Mexico or anything that they could bypass some laws and regulations and make more money, they would try the best to get there. I am just wondering what would be happen if this places would not exist? Would they close or be happy about what they make. I am not sensitive to only buy Canadian made stuff but I like top quality and wishing to pay to a nation that has some rules about human and employee and environment as well. Not a long ago I was in atlas machinery in queen St. and found out that general international is not making anything here as well and every single drill press that they have is made in China and this is a good proof of what I am saying is true. In the mid 90s most of them were made in Taiwan and they must found out that why Taiwan when we could make it even cheaper in China.       

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2013, 11:01 pm »
  Hope to see( buy) those 4B mono amps :bowdown:

bjski

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2013, 02:40 am »
BDP-2 & BOT

mkaiser

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2013, 03:51 am »

Be well...

Add Schneiders Meats in Kitchener and the remnants Blackberry too….

mkaiser

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2013, 03:53 am »
With 2013 slowly coming to an end, I find myself considering what 2014 will bring in the line of new audio gear and music selections. Next year will prove to be interesting as the wish list will be for the addition of a turntable and phono-stage to my audio Xanadu. As for music, a strong desire to build a great collection of psychedelic rock and to track down some more of my rarer Gothic bands on CD or vinyl. To finish off the year, a new homemade, CD storage rack in the spare room closet for my "mainstream" music and an audio stand for my gear.

So what are your audio plans for 2014  :scratch:

Be well...

Check out the band "Bloodline". A gothic/metal group.

Laundrew

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:20 pm »
Add Schneiders Meats in Kitchener and the remnants Blackberry too….

It is almost like the "Detroit Syndrome," but on a provincial order of magnitude - curious when we will hit the point of no return. Kind of ironic that when we are all making minimum wage, we would be able to afford the crap they are importing from 3rd world countries :lol:

Be well...

rockadanny

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2013, 02:32 pm »
That I get off my ass and install dedicated lines this year. Been wanting to do this for a couple of years, but always too busy with other things or just too tired.

If they know that there is a place on the earth no matter what you would call it, China , Mexico or anything that they could bypass some laws and regulations and make more money, they would try the best to get there.

Companies have to make a profit. IMO, too high of taxes, along with unecessary regulations, has more to do with most (not all, but most) companies moving out than anything else. There has always existed places around the world to build things cheaper, this is nothing new. But thanks to our far too intrusive gov't (and getting more intrusive each year), these companies often times are forced to move out to survive.

Not sure what "Detroit Syndrome" is, referred above. I lived and worked in Detroit most of my life. Worked both blue and white collar jobs. And I have seen first hand how overly-high taxes and forced or bullied overly-high wages, along with out of control union power, and crazy forced gov't regulations can hand-cuff companies, forcing them to do things they'd rather not do, such as moving out of country. It is not cheap, easy, nor preferrable for a U.S. company to operate outside of the U.S. But often times (not always, but often) they have no alternative.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2013, 05:00 pm »
  A new dedicated listening room. Turn a two car garage into room bliss.

charles

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2013, 11:41 am »

...hmmm, i really would like to try a BIT to see (hear) if there is an improvement or not :D

al.

Laundrew

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2013, 03:22 pm »
  A new dedicated listening room. Turn a two car garage into room bliss.

charles

This is getting very popular - it is a shame to waste all this awesome space with huge potential on cars - although Lady Laundrew would certainly disagree as she does not enjoy cleaning snow off of her car in the morning. The average double garage is around 400 square feet with 10 foot ceilings  :thumb:

This is my humble addition in my garage and my studio holds a metal lathe, milling machine and drill press - tight but happy to have it.

Be well...