Loreleis owners

jasonc

Loreleis owners
« on: 7 Aug 2004, 07:55 pm »
If my Loreleis look familiar it's because they started off at the Montreal show- http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2004/mtl_facesplaces2.shtml
Then off to Pugs they went-
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=178
Then yes to me...:mrgreen:
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=342
That marks the end of the history lesson and so begins the reason for my post.  Do the coned footed spikes make a difference?

byteme

Loreleis owners
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:51 am »
Those look as dark and pretty as the pair I have.  The first pair I had that UPS destroyed cosmetically and also physically tearing the crossovers from the mounts were lighter than their replacements.  The second pair Klaus fixed me up with and they are fanstastic.  The only question I've got is, is that some type of upgraded cherry finish because it looks like the pictures are figured cherry.  

Anyway, the Lorelei's are better than your average bear speakers and DEFINATELY worth a listen!

Brian.

jasonc

Loreleis owners
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2004, 02:15 pm »
Hi Brian,
Through my conversations with Klaus and Pugs I learned that this pair had a few blemishes but they were minor, however you never really know what they'll look like when you take them out of their boxes and see them with your on eyes.
I've read the damage that can be caused by UPS so to play it safe I elected to pick them up at the airport and completely remove them from the equation, which is always a good move.
When I got home I was very surprised at their appearence, they looked better than good.  It actually took me a little while to find the blemishes but when I did my reaction was sorta ..this is it??
I'm very fortunate of their condition especially when you think of all the miles traveled on them starting in CO, then to the Montreal show as a demo pair, back to CO then to Pugs, back to CO then to me.
Before they got shipped to me Klaus did have to secure one of the crossovers, he also, as you can imagine have to replace the shipping boxes which were pretty beat up when they got back to him last.  
It's important to note that I received nothing but outstanding service from Klaus.  As a second owner he not only gave me a great price but treated me first rate, answering all my questions as if I were.. He also didn't charge me for the new packaging when he probrobly could have.
I've thanked him privately it's time I thank him publically too.
Klaus is the man!

Captain Humble

Loreleis owners
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2004, 02:47 pm »
jasonc's question
That marks the end of the history lesson and so begins the reason for my post. Do the coned footed spikes make a difference?

Your question was discussed a while back, but I don't have time right now to look for it and the provide the link.

Synopsis:
In their rooms on their systems, Satfrat and Byteme thought the cones made a significant difference in bass/bass extension.
In my room on my system, I would describe the difference as minor but noticable.

I would definetly recommend implementing them, as would Satfrat and Byteme.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

jasonc

Loreleis owners
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2004, 02:51 pm »
Oh yes,
My question. thank you.  Do the cones effect the stability of the speakers?

byteme

Loreleis owners
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2004, 03:39 pm »
Quote from: jasonc
Oh yes,
My question. thank you.  Do the cones effect the stability of the speakers?

I agree, do the cones - they do make a subtle but noticable difference.  As for stability, they do affect it a bit, but I wouldn't call them an accident waiting to happen with the feet.  If you've got really thick carpet you may want to consider the mapleshade brass cones which are taller and would dig in better.

Also, agree 100% on the CS Klaus provides.  When I got my first pair of Lorelie's UPS beat them but good.  Klaus took care of things immediately and  met me 1/2 way to deliver the new pair so they were virginal!  Outstanding.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Loreleis owners
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2004, 05:00 am »
To my ears Jason, cones are a must for sure. I had mine on marble platforms for  the first 3 months before getting motivated to install them and I noticed an immediate improvement in bass/treble extension. The sound seemed to project out into the room with more authority and better detail.  I have all 4 of my Lorelei's on a hardwood floor using Klaus's Audio Excellence cones & floor protector discs. As of yet, neither I nor my Austrailian Shepard have knocked one over. 2 in the back, 1 in the front,,, and the gold cones do look surprisingly good on my medium oak finish as Klaus said they would. I wanted silver at the time but Klaus was spot on with his advise as usual. :lol: I hope you'll enjoy your Lorelei's as much as I do, I feel every blessed to own them. :D Regards, Robin

pugs

Loreleis owners
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2004, 07:11 pm »
I still miss those speakers.  They just did not work for me for several reasons.  I've put my speaker search on hold because I'm planning on moving.  I need to make sure my financial situation is stable, and I want to see what my new listening room is going to be like before I buy anything.  It's kind of sad that I don't listen to 2ch that much anymore because I'm really not happy with my NHT 2.5i.  Anybody have cheap speakers (less that or equal to the selling price of NHTs) that would outperform my NHTs for sale?  Trade?  Another problem I have is that I use my 2ch system for HT also.  That means I would need a matching center and preferably matching surrounds.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!, I just want to enjoy music again.

jasonc

Loreleis owners
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2004, 12:00 am »
Thanks for the feedback, looks like it will be in my best interest to try them.

I feel fortunate to own the Loreleis as well.  Tell you one thing, although they were great speakers I don't miss adjusting the 626R's.  I always worried I wasn't maximizing their performance one way or another.

byteme

Loreleis owners
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2004, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: pugs
I still miss those speakers.  They just did not work for me for several reasons.  I've put my speaker search on hold because I'm planning on moving.  I need to make sure my financial situation is stable, and I want to see what my new listening room is going to be like before I buy anything.  It's kind of sad that I don't listen to 2ch that much anymore because I'm really not happy with my NHT 2.5i.  Anybody have cheap speakers (less that or equal to the selling price of NHTs) that would outperform my NHTs f ...

Too bad you couldn't have hung on to the Lorelei's and picked up an Usher X-616 center.  Perfect match imo and good looking too!

pugs

Loreleis owners
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2004, 04:14 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Too bad you couldn't have hung on to the Lorelei's and picked up an Usher X-616 center.  Perfect match imo and good looking too!

It wasn't just the center issue.  They were too narrow for the kid traffic in that area.  They were going to get knocked over sooner or later.  They also had to come out too far into the room.  They came out into the traffic area.  If I put them closer to the wall, they had way too much bass.  I didn't know I was going to move when I returned them.  If I would've known, I might have kept them and taken my chances that I would have a more compatible room to put them in.