A Holiday surprise...

jsalk

A Holiday surprise...
« on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:24 pm »
You know you have too many models when you don't recognize one of them.

About a week ago, we were scheduling a final topcoat session when I saw a pair of cabinets that I just couldn't identify.  Judging by the dust on it, it had been ready for final topcoat for quite a while.  But for some reason we had never scheduled it.  I asked Luis what model that was.  He said he didn't know the name of it, but took me to the assembly area where he blew the dust off of the woofer that belonged in that cabinet.

It was an Audio Technology midwoofer - a very nice driver!  I couldn't remember why we had them and didn't remember working on this model.  So I emailed Dennis Murphy to ask about it.  He didn't remember working on it either.  But there were crossovers already mounted in the cabinet, so this was obviously something we had worked on at some point.

I then asked Sam if he recalled building the crossover boards.  He did not.  But he looked through his schematics folder and ran across one called RAAL-Audio Technology, dated a little over a year ago.  So I searched my computer and located drawings for a cabinet I had designed two years ago.

Well, better late than never.  We thought that we may as well finish them up and give them a listen.

Here's a picture...

I'm glad we did as this is a great sounding monitor.

We don't really need a new stand-mounted 2-way model in our lineup.  But it is certainly a wonderful sounding speaker with some of the finest drivers around.  So I guess I'll just take them home...a nice little surprise for the holidays!

Happy Holidays all!

- Jim

Carl V

Re: A Holiday surprise...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:34 pm »
Nice Walnut. (?)
Nice drivers indeed.
interested in your impressions.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2013, 05:47 pm »
Although they are a bit larger, the sound reminds me of our Silk Monitors.  Very smooth from top to bottom and they image very well.  If we didn't already have so many models, I would definitely add them to our product offerings.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2013, 06:21 pm »
I'd be thrilled to find those under the tree. 8) Beautiful!

Happy Holidays to you Jim, your wife Mary and the entire Salk crew!

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm »
Thats great!  better than finding a $20 in a jacket or blue jeans you haven't worn in a year!  :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2013, 03:36 pm »
So the dimensions wouldn't happen to be around, say, 19"high x 14"deep x 8.25"-8.75" wide, would they? Nice components by the way!  :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2013, 03:37 pm »
Are they ported on the back?

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:02 pm »
So the dimensions wouldn't happen to be around, say, 19"high x 14"deep x 8.25"-8.75" wide, would they? Nice components by the way!  :thumb:

This particular pair is 15" tall, 9" wide and 12" deep and is rear ported.  If we built it, we could also build it with a front slot port (the height would increase by about an inch.  If we made the cabinet even taller, the width could be reduced as well.  But you would soon get to a point where a grill may no longer be possible.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2013, 06:39 pm by jsalk »