VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

simon wagstaff

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1020 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:55 am »
If anybody sees a pair of fully tricked out RM2s with external OXs please don't post it but PM me. :) should have bought them 25 years ago and saved myself a lot of trouble.

G E

« Reply #1021 on: 5 Dec 2018, 01:31 am »
If anybody sees a pair of fully tricked out RM2s with external OXs please don't post it but PM me. :) should have bought them 25 years ago and saved myself a lot of trouble.

Simon-

You should go for the RM30's if they become available. Another neopanel per speaker.

You have plenty of subwoofer power in your system.

Ge

simon wagstaff

« Reply #1022 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:50 am »
I like the sound of the RM2s.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1023 on: 6 Dec 2018, 10:33 am »
Thanks for chiming in, oldhvymec!  Appreciate all opnions.

I gotta say, you are definitely a serious player in this hobby.  Keep us posted on your adventures.

I'm gonna sell the LCR with FST, and TRT caps. It is wrapped up in a shop now. The caps finally broke in a bit, took a long time 200 250 hours, It needs a good home. 550.00 and some shipping or a pick up / a drop off, if it's not to far.

A guy that was buying my RMxs, couldn't finish the transaction, been going on for months. Unhealthy issues, not with his health
but his partners approval. Holy Cow, GUYS get the wive / partner / brother / mothers, approval, FIRST. LOL

So My RMXs that were sold, are NOT. 5500.00 for the pair 6000.00 with the LCR. I also have a pair of NOS 12" wcf in an
old factory box. They are Sub/Bass drivers (double stack) for RM2, RMx, ect. I'd like to sell them with the RMxs add 200.00.
I have 4 or 6 Planars pulls from RM30s (I have to look at them and check them. I was gonna do another RM30 build
for sale, but I think I'll keep the new cabinets and sell the drivers. I have a pair of FSTs matched.

I have quit a few pre / power amps for sale. SS and Valve. Mcintosh, Marantz,  Adcoms, Krells, Wyred 4 Sound,
and one pair of VTLs 750 Ask on those, Repos (?)

Ok, here is an update on the the new class d amps, The RMxs, TIISEs, RM30s (factory pair I had stashed), RM2s, a borrowed pair of RM40s, and my beloved 808s were the VMPS speakers used. I also used 6 other pairs of speakers.  I have pair of Nord called "Nord Up" NC500OEM MB units with his rev C buffer boards, you can leave the on board Op Amps (you won't) or you can roll them, Sonic Image 994, Sparco 3302, both very popular or a variety of others. A rev D board is just out and suppose to be even better yet. As long as they are double Op Amp (pinned correctly) and the voltage regulators are correct for the application (Regulators can be upgraded or swapped also). BUT you can't swap between a single and a double module.  I tried Acoustic Image ATSHA NC500, Wyred 4 Sound SX1000, Wyred 4 Sound SX1000R, A pair of NC400 kits, A pair of NU12000s, M22 and 27(?) A pair of Non SMPS powered, typical transformer style with NC500oem (TOTAL JUNK) from Perth Au. One started blowing fuses the other, a PC (remote) board for the Op Amps is wired wrong, the Hypex modules were unharmed. DON'T BUY THERE.
All the other amps worked as directed, NONE were close to the Nords with Sparcos, My C20 as a pre, the Elixirs as a LS only.
I unhooked the FST and didn't use the bass in the RMxs, Instead I paired them with 72" Di/Bi OB reference columns doing Bass/Highs, I'm tinkering with.
A BIG OXOs tweak, WOW I mean WOW, I was really impressed.  The NC500s had some serious DEPTH and very VERY accurate. They were paired with each other and both SS and valve amps.  Pass Lab A30 class a, Krells MB SA250s, Adcom 565 MB, Adcom 5800, Mark Ls 532L. Valve (tube) amps  VTL, Mcintosh, and Audio Research valve amps. I put them in from, 16hz to 22mhz. lows mids highs. The only amps that sounded as good to me and better in some cases, were tube amps in the mid position with VERY high current, abilities and KT88 or 90 valves.  I wouldn't dare run that setup on a summers day. Night maybe. There was one exeption to them all (see below).
Solid State was tough. You have to get use to the facts, Class A, AB, amp are different, than Class D.
All of the Solid state amps worked wonderfully, the Mark L were best top to bottom, the Adcom 565s(heavy mods) were actually
Better only because of the price tag difference, The Mark L were 12000.00 more. LOL My buddy had to have them. Very nice though. The A30 Pass was wonderful, (30 watt) did't have the power to run the bass columns at high SPL BUT were very
punchy, and deadly accurate, mids and highs were from heaven, no matter what I played. No matter what I used for a source.
Very nice on the corel/salsa type music.

All that said and done, when the Hypex 500 were in play. I could get very close to or BETTER. I didn't have three pairs of the same class d units, but I did have two (1 set borrowed). Just wonderful with the dual sparcos op amps. I had to triple up on the Preamps.  Two active tube units with tone control and one passive (volume only) with a 2496 OXO, when needed. I used Acoustic Image as the third pair of NC500 units. I could tinkered forever with all the brands of music. I loved them ALL.
Just no Yoko Ono!!!
Guess what it was 15 deg cooler in the room all through the summer. I couldn't quit for a whole month. When I used Big Block valve amps in the mid position and class d doing bass and highs, I couldn't quit for 3 more months. Still 9 deg cooler. LOL
I still listened to a C20, MC240, TD124, and the 808s the Beach Boys never sounded so good. It's time for Frank, Bing, and Brinda Lee. Guys/Gals it's a sound like no other. So simple.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful holiday

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1024 on: 14 Dec 2018, 11:33 pm »
PM sent oldhvymec.

esprits4s

« Reply #1025 on: 15 Dec 2018, 02:58 am »
Man!!! I want a pair of RMX's badly, can't see shipping them across country though.  The last pair I remember for sale were the pair from Vegas.  I wonder if there are any over here on the east coast.

John Casler

« Reply #1026 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:00 pm »
Man!!! I want a pair of RMX's badly, can't see shipping them across country though.  The last pair I remember for sale were the pair from Vegas.  I wonder if there are any over here on the east coast.

There used to be a dealer in New York, who had a pair, but I have no idea where they are now.

Stimpy

« Reply #1027 on: 16 Dec 2018, 12:01 am »
VMPS Super Tower III Special Ribbon Edition -  (Roswell, GA)  $5500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-Special-Ribbon-Edition/123537818283?hash=item1cc36d82ab:g:1oMAAOSwEVtcDtmi&redirect=mobile

"This is an improved (with the help of the late Brian Cheney) version of the $19,900 VMPS Super Tower III SRE (Special Ribbon Edition) speakers. The problem of limited vertical dispersion of the ribbon tweeters in the original version was addressed, per Mr. Cheney's suggestion, by adding a second tweeter. Later top of the line VMPS models addressed this problem by making the ribbon tweeter aimable. These speakers require three stereo amps and a three way electronic crossover. The amps are not included but a preconfigured Behringer DCX2496 crossover/DSP unit is, as well as a passive blocking unit using Auricap blocking caps to protect and properly load the ribbon tweeters. If you bring your amplifiers I can use my PC based measurement system and measuring microphone to dial in the DCX2496 for your equipment.

I have been in the high end audio business for over forty years and these truly unique speakers compare favorably to speakers costing ten to twenty times more. I know that is an outlandish statement, but serious buyers are welcome to audition and decide for themselves. Local pickup only with your crew. Each speaker weighs approximately 325 pounds."

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2018, 06:54 pm by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #1028 on: 16 Dec 2018, 12:12 am »
Pair of VMPS Large Subwoofers Earth Shaking (215) Subs (626 Speakers Sold?) -  (Columbia, MD)  $440

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-VMPS-Large-Subwoofers-Earth-Shaking-Subs/323601353638?hash=item4b5824cba6:g:~MEAAOSwAVlcDrf1

"These are two huge brutes!

They rock down to a low 10hz, much below human hearing but you can feel that thump!! Each one has one 12" poly woofer with rubber surround and a 15" mass loaded radiator. They are coated with a borosilicate coat to dampen internal reverb.

Dimensions: 18" x 20" x 28"

Bid with confidence. I am an Honest Ebayer and not a professional seller. I sell items that I do not need anymore at a dirt cheap price. Check my positive feedbacks! :)

Optional Shipping:

If you want to hire a shipper, and be responsible for cost, packaging/crating, insurance, etc. I can have them ready for pickup from Columbia, MD. The speakers would NOT be prepped for shipping. You or the shipper would have to do the prep work to protect/ship them

NOTE: I am selling the VMPS ribbon speakers separately. Please check my other items!"

AVB

« Reply #1029 on: 16 Dec 2018, 01:56 pm »
Now I thought that these were the ST III SRE (which I own in piano black) I'm 99% sure that the ones above are the FF1 SRE.

Stimpy

« Reply #1030 on: 16 Dec 2018, 07:03 pm »
Now I thought that these were the ST III SRE (which I own in piano black) I'm 99% sure that the ones above are the FF1 SRE.

You are entirely correct.  They are indeed FF1 SRE speakers, as a Monsoon based STIII SRE's never really existed, other than in illustrations.  Only the Bohlender based STIII SRE's were built.  Brian may have designed them, but to the best of my knowledge, none of the Neo Monsoon planar mid versions were ever built. 

As to the above, I post the ads as I find them.  As such, that should give a lot of room for negotiating the price of the speakers for sale.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1031 on: 16 Dec 2018, 08:34 pm »

I agree, BUT still had to come from California somewhere along the line. 370+lbs. each. Crated, palletized 500 lbs X 2 (close).
It's a half ton, yes it is!!! I'll bet it would cost 800-1000.00 to fit on Santa's slay, and get them on the east coast.

A buddy in Iowa will take them no matter what, July of 2019. RETIREMENT toys are being collected. hee hee

I knew this pair long before I bought them. In 2008-9, I went over on a Monday to buy them. I had 9500.00 in my pocket.
They were sold, the Friday before, to the guy, I bought them from, for 14.500.00. This is what Brian told me.  Do you blame him? I DID. 5k is 5k. lol  When I picked them up, the guy said he paid 15,200.00 cash with a LCR, LRC center included.

If you have ever listened to a pair or (three), with good gear, room treatment ect, they are stunning to say the least.
Because they don't measure like a normal speaker, the sweet spot is rather narrow and a seated position, Wonderful for the 2 pairs of skinny people one behind the other.  I use the planars as a Line source mainly. No FST or Bass. With reference bass
and tweeter columns, GR Research servo sub/bass system, this rivals ANY sound on the planet.

I got to listen to Mcintosh flagship XRT2k, three months ago, 119,000.00. He paid another 65k for used SS gear, all at the same time. I'll take my setup, LOL, and leave the 180,000.00 difference to my kids. I actually like the ability to move all 7 0r 8
pieces in a room. The wife, well she is a good sport to say the least. Constant ebb and flow of speakers in and out of rooms here
SHE's gotta be a good sport, ay. Even great DIY speakers are in the 4-6k range without paint, add 2-5k more.

Mind you, I watch these come back from paint at Mr. Dibble's cabinet shop.
I was sick, but not for long. I bought a pair of RM40s, on the spot, all tricked out for a killer price. Less than 6 months later, I bought a used pair of RMxs from a guy who Brian put me in touch with. Because I bought the pair of RM40s, I got to side by side the two, for over a year. I don't think Brian got to do that. He came over and re-tuned the RMxs after I got them. Not easy to tune, trust me. I didn't even buy them from him. He increased the mass on both pairs. Took a small, bright mag flashlight, put the back side to the FST,  aimed it just in front of the listening position. All pots were put at mid position. He was done in 2 hours, tuned both. Just crazy fast. 15 min on the 40s and over 1.5 on the RMxs. Still takes me couple of days, with the easy ones.

I just saw the FF3s, I really would like to use those planars in a build. I like the sound of Monsoon drivers, just not the price.
There is a 9x pair in KY, with MagicMarky for 4700.00 plus s&h NOS drivers though. 5000.00 for 6x pair. (FF3 SRE)  Still not Strathearns, though.

In any case the new Nords came in.  New rev D boards with Sparco dual pro 2590 op Amps. breaking in as I type. Nice out the box, but my buddies pair with sparco SS3602s, had a very defined yet warm BIG BLOCK tube amp sound. I attribute this to breaking in. Now 12 hours later, the amp is sounding MUCH better.

First amp the new boards were installed in, and sent out.  The new dual option boards make opAmp rolls a snap.
They will make the RMx twinkle, I'm sure. I'm just amazed how you can tweek these little guys, to sound so warm and
yet reach WAY down on a NON bi amped speaker, to just THUMP!! (TIIse). I'm sure a friend will show up with something
to try to point out their sins.
I'm impressed no matter WHAT shows up. Like I said, only thing close, is a high current A/AB valve amps
doing mid-ish duty (with lots of parts and time invested) or a 12-20k for Mark Ls, PL, PS audio, ect.
Problem is, they don't keep the house warm, like the older amps use to.

Happy speaker hunting, I got my eyes on a pair of 2500 lb gunite speakers plans. A German fella I know, loves his concrete
speakers, we'll see. they won't fit on Santa's slay, several piles (of dung) later, Rudoff, agrees. LOL

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1032 on: 17 Dec 2018, 08:30 am »
Pair of RM40's on the marketplace section of audiocircle, San Diego $1,200.   

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161140.0

oldhvymec

« Reply #1033 on: Yesterday at 04:00 am »

I see you have a pair. Do they have the @Corian (ATH) front baffle? Not to many were made, ay? Fewer than the RMx or the
WRRM.
450-500 lb ea? 1500 lb.,3/4 of a ton crated and palletized. I bet they sound wonderful. Serious gear to push those, what do you use to run them on, if I may ask? SS, Valve, combo? I've never seen a pair for sale, that's for sure. Your the original owner?
Listen to me, you'd think I was an OldHvyMec.  Forgive me, it is just my nature.
Regards