Wayner

Re: Emotiva Phono Preamp-XPS-1
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:19 pm »
What ever.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2013, 09:00 pm by Wayner »

munosmario

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2013, 09:29 pm »
BTW, I didn't hijack the thread. If anyone did, you did, by telling everyone to do a burn-in procedure that was clearly not suggested by Emotiva. The thread was about the new Emotiva XPS-1 preamp, not how to mess it up.

Wayner

One more word of caution for those contemplating experimentation with other external power supplies. In the unit's webpage description, it is clearly stated that the external power supply is a 12V AC, not a 12V DC!! It is basically an AC transformer reducing wall outlet voltage to 12V AC.  This is the same situation as for the current Vista Audio phono-stage offering (and the original tubed Bellari, whose 12V AC external power supply was, later on, changed to a switching 12V DC wall-wart, thus, allowing for a single universal voltage external power supply for domestic and international sales--not for better SQ reasons).

"Special attention was paid to the low-noise power supplies; both the external highly regulated AC supply and the individual switching supplies within the XPS-1."

mario

yeldarb

« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2013, 11:52 pm »
Please review it with the supplied power supply when you think it is broken in.  I ordered one but it is at the PO and I can't get it until Thursday at best.  Thanks.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2014, 12:25 am »
One more word of caution for those contemplating experimentation with other external power supplies. In the unit's webpage description, it is clearly stated that the external power supply is a 12V AC, not a 12V DC!! It is basically an AC transformer reducing wall outlet voltage to 12V AC.  This is the same situation as for the current Vista Audio phono-stage offering (and the original tubed Bellari, whose 12V AC external power supply was, later on, changed to a switching 12V DC wall-wart, thus, allowing for a single universal voltage external power supply for domestic and international sales--not for better SQ reasons).

"Special attention was paid to the low-noise power supplies; both the external highly regulated AC supply and the individual switching supplies within the XPS-1."

In fact the XPS-1 does use a switching 12V DC wall wart power supply.  It says so on the wall wart that shipped with the unit and I verified the DC voltage with a volt meter. 

I'm honestly not trying to blow the thing up before I even get to hear it.  :?

Russ

Ericus Rex

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2014, 12:29 am »
I chose white noise for a burn-in signal because, setting aside the technical differences between white and pink noise, white noise has perceptively less bass than pink noise. White noise sounds like a spray can.  Pink noise sounds like a waterfall.  I found it interesting that white noise, after passing through the RIAA eq sounded a lot like pink noise.  Maybe a bit bass heavy, but pretty close. 

Here’s how I set the burn-in level.  I hooked up the phono preamp to my turntable, played a record at my normal listening level, and noted the system volume level.  I then connected the ipod to the input of the phono preamp (set to MM), made sure the ipod level was all the way down, and started the white noise generator.  I gradually and carefully turned up the ipod to get the same volume as the record I played at the same system level.  This set the ipod output to approximately the same level as the phono cartridge.  I listened carefully and did not hear any obvious signs of overload or distress from the phono preamp.

Russ

This sounds very sensible to me, Russ.  I don't think anything will blow up with how carefully you've staged this burn in.

Keep us posted.

munosmario

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:32 am »
In fact the XPS-1 does use a switching 12V DC wall wart power supply.  It says so on the wall wart that shipped with the unit and I verified the DC voltage with a volt meter. 

I'm honestly not trying to blow the thing up before I even get to hear it.  :?

Russ

Say no more, Russ...my sincere apologies. You just demonstrated that unit is being promoted with not quite correct (or not properly enunciated) technical claims, similarly stated by company head in podcast introducing unit.... :scratch:

mario

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2014, 03:39 am »
Say no more, Russ...my sincere apologies.

No need to apologize. I thought I was getting an AC supply until I opened the box.