« on: 21 Dec 2013, 11:47 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on this new preamp. Worth trying out, only 129.00

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xps-1-phono-stage

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Emotiva Phono Preamp-XPS-1
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm »
Looks great for the price, there's nothing out there with this much flexibility at the price.  So if it sounds just okay it's a bargain.  If it sounds great it's a giant killer.  Why don't you buy it and let us know.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:45 pm »
I did. Something to play with and compare to the Cambridge Audio

raysracing

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:50 pm »
I did. Something to play with and compare to the Cambridge Audio
I have the 651p and cannot wait to hear your impressions. I believe the 651p is a good match to my Frankenstein cartridge though. A Signet body (Tk3ea) and a new AT155LC needle.  But I'd take a $129 upgrade in sound anyway.

yeldarb

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2013, 09:39 pm »
Well, hope this works well with the 2nd turntable that I had no circuit for.  :roll:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2013, 07:07 pm »
This does look like a good value.  Construction quality is superior to any other entry-level phone stage I know of.  Dual mono signal path with a quad op-amp per channel for the four gain stages. 

I ordered one yesterday and it shipped today!  Merry Christmas to me. 

I'm going to try it with and without Cinemag SUTs and compare it to my Phonoclone and Ciera phono stages.  Cartridge is a Soundsmith DL103.  Should be interesting.

Russ

jeffh

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2013, 02:05 am »

I'm going to try it with and without Cinemag SUTs and compare it to my Phonoclone and Ciera phono stages.  Cartridge is a Soundsmith DL103.  Should be interesting.

Russ

Let us know what you think.

Russtafarian

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2013, 07:24 pm »
I ordered the Emotiva XPS-1 last Monday (Dec 23rd) and received it Friday.  It's very compact and the build quality is impressive for a $130 phono stage.  It's actually built into the same aluminum enclosure Emotiva uses for their IR remote control.  It is powered by an inexpensive 12VDC switching supply. 

It sounded pretty rough right out of the box but I'm withholding judgement until it has a few days of burn-in and I can try some different power supplies. 

I'm burning it in by connecting my Ipod Touch to the input and playing white noise though it.  White noise is weighted more towards high frequencies so running it through the RIAA playback curve at a moderate level doesn't overload the preamp.  Signal input is set to replicate the level of a MM cartridge playing a rock record.

I have DIY linear and battery power supplies that I built for Squeezebox use a few years ago.  Some simple part-swapping will convert them from 5VDC to 12VDC.  Once that's done, I'll try them with the XPS-1.

Russ

Maritan

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:08 am »
<snip>  White noise is weighted more towards high frequencies so running it through the RIAA playback curve at a moderate level doesn't overload the preamp.  <snip>

Russ

Not trying to start a technical discussion, or call anyone out. But just to clarify:

I don't know much about the RIAA playback curve, but I do know that white noise is so called because the power spectral density is flat. Theoretically, that's from DC to infinity hertz. In this particular case, since it is an audio signal, it should be flat from 20-20kHz. Not weighted towards any specific frequency range. Otherwise, it cannot be considered white noise anymore.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:41 am »
I think he means in comparison to pink noise.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm »
I ordered the Emotiva XPS-1 last Monday (Dec 23rd) and received it Friday.  It's very compact and the build quality is impressive for a $130 phono stage.  It's actually built into the same aluminum enclosure Emotiva uses for their IR remote control.  It is powered by an inexpensive 12VDC switching supply. 

It sounded pretty rough right out of the box but I'm withholding judgement until it has a few days of burn-in and I can try some different power supplies. 

I'm burning it in by connecting my Ipod Touch to the input and playing white noise though it.  White noise is weighted more towards high frequencies so running it through the RIAA playback curve at a moderate level doesn't overload the preamp.  Signal input is set to replicate the level of a MM cartridge playing a rock record.

I have DIY linear and battery power supplies that I built for Squeezebox use a few years ago.  Some simple part-swapping will convert them from 5VDC to 12VDC.  Once that's done, I'll try them with the XPS-1.

Russ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2013, 01:31 pm »
Good catch Wayne.  It will be lucky if this doesn't overload the input enough to break something.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2013, 02:16 pm »
On 'white' and 'pink' noise.

If we graph 'white noise' on a linear chart the result will be a straight line.

If we graph 'pink noise' on a logarithmic chart the result will be a straight line.

Human hearing is logarithmic in nature, so to us pink noise will have flat frequency response.

Sarchi

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2013, 03:26 pm »
Good catch Wayne.  It will be lucky if this doesn't overload the input enough to break something.

It's pretty common to do this for burn-in - just keep the iPod output at low volume and it shouldn't hurt anything.

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:11 pm »
MM output = 5mv.

MC output = .5mv

Ipod output = .X to 2 volts (variable)

Ipod output = Does not have encoded RIAA output.

Sarchi

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:32 pm »
2 volts from an iPod? That'd be about 700mW....that would likely destroy most earbuds. (not to mention ears)
I believe an iPod outputs 30mW from the headphone jack. I need more coffee to convert that to mV. :)

edit: 10.6mV, I believe. Considerably more than a LOMC, but if you keep the volume at 1, it should be fine.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:09 pm »
.X to 2 volts, not 2 volts (unknown). 2 volts is a usual max line level output for most sources like CD player, tuner, etc.

Output of ipod measured?

Sarchi

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:26 pm »
Well, I googled and now I'm confused. Ken Rockwell measures the iPod Touch at around 1V RMS per channel. Which makes sense compared to other line inputs like CDP's which are 2V as you said.

As far as his measurements, I'm not sure if that's maximum output, or what. Once impedance loads and max distortion levels are factored in, I'm a bit lost. But I have burned in a Cornet MM phono with a Zune (volume set to 1/20) and didn't experience any issues.

Russtafarian

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:03 pm »
It used to be fun to contribute here at AC.  Now any entry is an invitation to be put on trial.

I am quite aware that a phono preamp like this is meant for the low level output of a cartridge.  I also know that the RIAA playback curve in the preamp is going to boost the bass waaaay up and cut the treble waaaay down.  So yes, plugging any other line source into it is begging for a potential disaster.

I chose white noise for a burn-in signal because, setting aside the technical differences between white and pink noise, white noise has perceptively less bass than pink noise. White noise sounds like a spray can.  Pink noise sounds like a waterfall.  I found it interesting that white noise, after passing through the RIAA eq sounded a lot like pink noise.  Maybe a bit bass heavy, but pretty close. 

Here’s how I set the burn-in level.  I hooked up the phono preamp to my turntable, played a record at my normal listening level, and noted the system volume level.  I then connected the ipod to the input of the phono preamp (set to MM), made sure the ipod level was all the way down, and started the white noise generator.  I gradually and carefully turned up the ipod to get the same volume as the record I played at the same system level.  This set the ipod output to approximately the same level as the phono cartridge.  I listened carefully and did not hear any obvious signs of overload or distress from the phono preamp.

I’m going to write up my initial listening impressions of the Emotiva phono preamp and will post in the vinyl circle.  Feel free to wander over and highjack the thread over there.

Russ

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:15 pm »
Russ,

No one put you on trial. However, your burn in procedure simply is something I'm pretty sure Emotiva frowns on. My comments were directed towards others that thought your idea was a good one. I think it is not a good idea, but then I don't really believe in the burn-in theory anyway. But it's your equipment and you have every right to do as you see fit. I respect your own decision to do what you want to do.

The good news is that I still like you and think your a hell of a guy. I just disagree with your one particular method.

Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2013, 09:01 pm by Wayner »