Can't top Bob's pictures

Blackmore

Can't top Bob's pictures
« on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:43 am »
Scott let me bring over my batch of 6SN7 tubes for BATman and he spent an hour or so testing each side of each dual triode.  Here's proof.

My stash of Sovteks and others

Then we kicked back and listened to the Lowthers using some JJ 300Bs and eventually fired up the Consonance 211 amps for fun. (Yes, those ARE shotgun cases in the foreground.)

Here's a picture of Scott and the helm of his navigation center for the "Enterprise".

Not as cool as Bob's speaker build with Abbie, but at least I remembered to take pictures.  :thumb:

Scott F.

Re: Can't top Bob's pictures
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2013, 02:56 pm »
Had fun visiting and listening to the JJ's. It's a good choice if you don't want to spend big bucks on meshplates.

The Cyber 211's finally opened up and calmed down after a few hours of being on. Completely different presentation than the Welbornes. The Cyber's are begging to drive a nice pair of high efficient, full range speakers. I've heard the Cybers driving things like the Tekton Lores, Zu's and the big Audio Notes and it makes a killer match. All that power is sort of a waste on my Lowthers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:31 pm »
Looks like fun guys. I still haven't seen Scott's room since the re-model.
Waiting for the day he hangs a 120" screen between those Lowthers.  :icon_twisted:

Thanks for the complement on the "Bob's Pictures" thing though.  :lol:

Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:39 pm »
  The room looks really good. Still have my Cyber 211s. They drove the Pipedreams quite well. We did some mod to the amps you may be interested in. Since the 211 RCA, united and GE were getting very expensive we had some Shugang 211s cryo treated. Since that 211 tube can  binding posts  to the board are knock offs. Replacing them with AudioNote RCA and Duelund hook up wire made this a much better amp. Any quality connectors over stock is an improvement. 
    For tubes I really like Amperex Bugle boys then Tungsol 5687 and GE or Shugang cryo 211. Have fun.

charles

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:45 pm »
Had fun visiting and listening to the JJ's. It's a good choice if you don't want to spend big bucks on meshplates.

The Cyber 211's finally opened up and calmed down after a few hours of being on. Completely different presentation than the Welbornes. The Cyber's are begging to drive a nice pair of high efficient, full range speakers. I've heard the Cybers driving things like the Tekton Lores, Zu's and the big Audio Notes and it makes a killer match. All that power is sort of a waste on my Lowthers.

Bring 'em over and we can compare to my MA-1s!

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:31 pm »
Bring 'em over and we can compare to my MA-1s!

Hiya Bob,

We can do that :thumb:

Remind me, what speakers are you running now? I know you had the Salks and the Dadeleus. Depending on the efficiency of the speakers and the complexity of the crossovers, the 16wpc of 211 SET should drive them pretty well.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:38 pm »
Hiya Bob,

We can do that :thumb:

Remind me, what speakers are you running now? I know you had the Salks and the Dadeleus. Depending on the efficiency of the speakers and the complexity of the crossovers, the 16wpc of 211 SET should drive them pretty well.

Daedalus Ulysses. . .

bside123

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:41 pm »
GAS guys gettin' tubular.  8)

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:57 pm »
  The room looks really good. Still have my Cyber 211s. They drove the Pipedreams quite well. We did some mod to the amps you may be interested in. Since the 211 RCA, united and GE were getting very expensive we had some Shugang 211s cryo treated. Since that 211 tube can  binding posts  to the board are knock offs. Replacing them with AudioNote RCA and Duelund hook up wire made this a much better amp. Any quality connectors over stock is an improvement. 
    For tubes I really like Amperex Bugle boys then Tungsol 5687 and GE or Shugang cryo 211. Have fun.

charles

Hiya Charles,

I thought about doing some more mods to the Cybers but decided against it. I bought the Cybers from Mike Galusha a few years ago and he had already done some pretty cool mods to them. They've got the AmpOhm paper and oil coupling caps. He put in a cool input transformer and made a few other tweaks that really stepped up the sound quality.

I've decided to trim down to a single 'hi end' system which is my 300b and Lowther open baffle rig in the main listening room. All the other systems around the house are vintage, tubed integrateds and vintage speakers. I get a bigger kick out of those than 'audiophile' stuff anymore. I'm slowly cleaning house of all the hi end gear I've collected over the years.

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2013, 05:02 pm »
Daedalus Ulysses. . .

They should drive Lou's creations pretty well. I've got to think they should be a nice pairing too based on what I heard our at RMAF. That said, the Cybers are going to run out of gas quicker than your Atmaspheres but I think they should make a nice pairing.

I'm off over the holidays if you want to get together and give them a listen.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2013, 08:04 pm »
I'm slowly cleaning house of all the hi end gear I've collected over the years.
Lemme know if I can help you with that.  :lol:
I've got a big truck and bottle of single malt (and a cute little helper to carry the small things).  :wink: