Win8 Tablet Headphone Output

viggen

Win8 Tablet Headphone Output
« on: 13 Dec 2013, 05:24 am »
Actually, more specifically, Toshiba Encore's headphone out.

My work gave me one to play with.  I installed Foobar and loaded up some songs onto a microsd card and inserted into tablet.

Wasn't expecting much out of the headphone out, but the DT1350 is sounding very nice. 

I want to connect the tablet to the stereo via usb to dac, but I don't have a micro usb to female usb cord.  So, have to wait a few days for Amazon Prime to deliver.

Foobar library is in "monitoring" mode but doesn't really add the files on sd card to library though.  Not sure how to coax it to do so.

And, screen is small even for my skinny fingers.  Will need mouse or stylus to select songs more efficiently.

*Scotty*

Re: Win8 Tablet Headphone Output
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2013, 05:58 am »
You might want to try the XBMC player as an alternative to foobar. I am using it on a Toshiba laptop with Win8. It has a screwy GUI that is non-intuitive but can be adapted to. Here is a download link to the current release.
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/xbmc-12.2.exe
And a link to the XBMC wiki.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/
Scotty

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2013, 09:44 am »
You might want to try the XBMC player as an alternative to foobar. I am using it on a Toshiba laptop with Win8. It has a screwy GUI that is non-intuitive but can be adapted to. Here is a download link to the current release.
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/xbmc-12.2.exe
And a link to the XBMC wiki.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/
Scotty

Hi Scotty:  I haven't tried XBMC because I am under the impression that it isn't as good sounding as foobar?  Or, do you think XBMC has an advantage over foobar on Win8?

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:20 am »
Well, I reinstalled foobar, and the library is now working.

Burned in a new pair of DT880 600oms today for about 5 hours.  Already, it's sounding very good even on the Encore.  Either the Encore is really good or my headphone setup has a lot to improve on. 

With the 600ohm driver, I have to jack the volume on the Encore all the way up to 100 to get right at where I like the volume at.  What a coincidence.  So, volume is ok, but the sound is very balanced too.  I thought "portable" devices will have fat flabby bass when driving phones will difficult loads.  Not experiencing that.

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:53 am »
I am a lil under the weather so just lying in bed.  But, I just received a new pair of Audeze LCD2 a few days ago and want to give it a listen.  Too tired to sit at my desk where my stereo system is at, I plugged the LCD2 into the D3 dac which is then plugged into the Encore and brought it to bed with me.  The sound is not bad.  Volume wise, I go up to 60%. 

Then, I removed the D3 and plugged the LCD2 directly into the Encore's headphone out.  The volume is much lower compared to that of the D3's.  I have to jack it up to 100%.  I can go a bit louder, but the volume is just right for long term listening.  However, I am surprised at how well the LCD2 is performing while being plugged into the Encore without external dac or amp.

First the bad.  The volume is limited as already mentioned.  The sound isn't as stout/solid as compared to when the cans are connected to the D3.  The good.  The sound is rounder, organic, whole and whatever else adjective to describe that the electronics really doesn't distract from the music.  The sound is not analytical at all.  It's just right as it makes me wanna listen to whole albums and not jump track to track comparing sound quality per track.

Off memory, the sound is both airier, atmospheric, fast, detail more flesh and drums hits more "realistically" with the LCD2 connected to my main rig.  Musicality wise, the main rig is a smidge better.  Prat wise, I think the Encore sans external dac/amp might be a smidge better!

BTW, I am just using foobar as player.  I can't even use jplay because it requires at least 4gb ram and the Encore only has 2gbs of ram. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2014, 02:44 pm »
I prefer XMBC to foobar in my system. Another alternative is PlayPcmWin which sounds different from the first two players. In my system XMBC is the most three dimensional in its imaging. A  lot of this is personal preference and dependent on your system. My fallback is JRiver if I need to manage a library of music.
Scotty