The SP 1.7 Has Arrived

jimmyp58

The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:23 pm »
I'll write a more detailed synopsis after the weekend but for now, I just hooked the new unit up and it is unbelievable.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my Rotel RSP-1098 but this is in an entirely different league.

I know that I will be in audio bliss tonight....

Jim

gravy

• -Scott
Re: The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:09 am »
Quote from: jimmyp58
I'll write a more detailed synopsis after the weekend but for now, I just hooked the new unit up and it is unbelievable.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my Rotel RSP-1098 but this is in an entirely different league.

I know that I will be in audio bliss tonight....

Jim

Enjoy Jim!  Let us know what you think - The 1098 was a nice piece too, so I'm very interested to hear your impressions of the sp1.7.

I've really come to enjoy the simplicity, understated elegance and most of all sonics of the sp1.7.

jimmyp58

SP 1.7 Dynamic Range Control
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2004, 08:52 pm »
I am doing some tweaking and I noticed something that is different from the manual versus what is on the unit.  In the manual under this topic, it refers to MAX, NORM, and LATE.  On my new unit, it says FULL, NORM, & LOW.

Is it correct for me to assume that FULL equates MAX and that LOW equates to LATE?

Please advise.

Thanks....

Jim

Levi

Re: SP 1.7 Dynamic Range Control
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2004, 09:21 pm »
Yes.  Leave it in MAX.
Quote from: jimmyp58
I am doing some tweaking and I noticed something that is different from the manual versus what is on the unit.  In the manual under this topic, it refers to MAX, NORM, and LATE.  On my new unit, it says FULL, NORM, & LOW.

Is it correct for me to assume that FULL equates MAX and that LOW equates to LATE?

Please advise.

Thanks....

Jim

jimmyp58

The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2004, 09:33 pm »
Thanks.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:16 pm »
Hi All,

Yes we changed the labels because as was suggested earlier some people were leaving the SP1.7 in Norm and not realizing that the MAX setting gave them studio quality dynamic range. So Low Med and Full is the new label.

By the way this control only applies to Dolby D not DTS or bypass. It is a Dolby requirement.

james

jimmyp58

The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2004, 01:11 pm »
Sometimes it’s the simple things that make life sweeter.  Take for instance the Bryston SP 1.7 pre-amp processor that I just received the other day.  It is very simplistic yet it performs in an astounding manner.  From the moment you take it out of the box until the time you turn it on for the very first time, simple, easy, and straightforward.  But make no mistake, this ‘simple’ unit produces some of the most incredible and beautiful sounds for the audiophile; 2-channel or multi-channel enthusiast.  To me, this is the pinnacle.  Also to me, this is one underrated pre-amp processor.

Many users or reviewers have commented at length about the beauty of this unit and particularly how it performs via 2-channel mode.  While I will share my listening observations on 2-channel, I will start with movies.  I will then move onto multi-channel audio and finally, 2-channel audio.

From reviewing the host of articles written about the SP 1.7, I completely concur with the findings.  I admit that I have not auditioned a Lexicon or Meridian but I have listened to an Arcam AV8, Anthem Statement D1, Rotel RSP-1098, and Krell (Home Theater Standard and Showcase Processor).  This processor, in my opinion, bests any of these units.  This review will not compare this unit to any of these processors per se but I will share my experiences from the moment I opened the box through four days of breaking my new unit in.

SETUP/OPERATION:

Simple.  I have owned a very high-end receiver (Denon AVR-5803) and pre/pro (Rotel RSP-1098).  I believe from the time I opened the box to the time I fired up the unit was one-half hour tops.  This doesn’t include tweaking for speaker distance, etc. but a very brief time to read the manual and plug everything into the corresponding inputs.  The tweaking part only added another one-half hour.  I found the Denon and Rotel taking far more time in comparison.

The front panel is straightforward too and switching to bypass is one click of the bypass button (for 2-channel).  The only issue that caused a pause was that the manual differed from the labeling on the unit’s front regarding the “Dynamic Range Control”.  I figured it out pretty much on my own but visited the audiocircle forum to be sure.

From there, I tried out each of my transport devices to make certain I made the correct connections (CD, DVD, HDTV, and DVD-multi-channel audio).  Again due the simplicity, you simply plug each component into their respective inputs (I connected my Denon DVD-5900 into the AUX coaxial and analog inputs as well as the 5.1 analog inputs).  To test, simply depress each of the labeled buttons and the unit automatically discerns the signal being sent.  For movies, etc., you can change the modes to tweak your sound but as far as simple operation, it’s a snap.  Again, to change to analog 2-channel and use the 1.7’s DAC’s simply depress the ‘BYPASS’ button once and you’re done.

One thing I noticed is the XTRA Bass mode really adds bass, particularly if you select XBass On.  In my previous pre/pro, this was noted as ‘MAX’.  I had to turn the gain on my subs down due to how dynamic this is.  It isn’t boomy, just dynamic.

MOVIES:

As I mentioned, there is not a wealth of reviews regarding the performance of the SP 1.7 for this purpose.  I found the results stunning.  I fired up Star Wars II.  The THX intro was totally impressive in and of itself.  I could hear the trickling of water … the finer details of this compared to what I heard previously.  I could hear the water before but now I was hearing the intimate details of it.  Of course the movie sounded spectacular.  The crispness, again the detail, and clarity is superb.

I fired up Eric Clapton’s ‘One More Car One More Rider’ concert.  I admit that I have nothing to compare it to because I hadn’t previously owned this concert before receiving my 1.7 but once again, the detail is breathtaking.  The guitar strumming is so precise, natural, and detailed that you literally feel the guitarists are right in front of you.  The drumming detail was superb.  Being a former drummer, I have a keen ear for the details of this instrument.  I know what it sounds like --- each piece and I know the in-between sounds as well.  With the Bryston, I could hear the brushes not only make their intended sound but I could also discern with great clarity, how the brush scoots across the drum’s skin.  That is impressive.  To be sure, I listened to the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” concert as I have listened to this countless times on my previous pre/pro.  This concert’s audio is superb to begin with; it would sound fantastic on a far less expensive setup.  But with the 1.7, I could hear and discern Timothy B. Schmidt breathing while he is singing “Love Will Keep Us Alive”.  The guitar strumming is clean and detailed.  The bass is dynamic (though I felt it equally dynamic with previous listenings).  When Don Henley clicks his drumsticks together, it sounds identical to when two real pieces of wood are knocked against each other.  Phenomenal!

MULTI-CHANNEL AUDIO (DVD-A & SACD):

Flawless.  I listened to Peter White’s ‘Glow’ (SACD), Dave Koz’s ‘The Dance’ (DVD-A), Spyro Gyra’s ‘Original Cinema’ (SACD), David Sanborn’s ‘timeagain’ (DVD-A), and Elton John’s ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ (SACD), and each was incredible.  My transport is a Denon DVD-5900.  I thoroughly enjoyed my listenings on my Rotel RSP-1098 with each of these discs before, but as is the case with movies, the same can be said here.  The clarity and detail are phenomenal.  In a way, the sound is indescribable.  It’s one of those things that you simply have to hear it to understand what another is trying to convey.  And as is the case with movies, the operation is simple.

2-CHANNEL AUDIO:

If you listen to music in 2-channel via the digital connection, the sound is detailed and superb.  I listened with XBass ‘off’ and ‘on’.  With the XBass set to ‘on’ I had to turn down the gain on the subs.  It wasn’t too boomy, just too powerful.  Then I ventured into audiophile Nirvana.  I depressed the BYPASS button and whoa, I have never heard music come out of my system in this manner.  Stunning.  A lot has been written about the 1.7’s DAC’s and how they are incomparable.  Well, they are.  When listening to the DAC’s in the 1.7, it was easy to hear the differences in transports. The Bryston simply blew away the DAC’s from my CD transport (Sony CDP-M555ES); it wasn't even close (although if you don’t select BYPASS, the sounds are still top-notch and best anything I have ever owned).  Two of my favorite jazz discs are Peter White’s ‘Glow’ and Ray Brown’s ‘Some Of My Best Friends Are … The Piano Players’.  I listened to each and to no surprise, the 1.7 performed remarkably.  I found it just like everyone else who has written about this unit and its performance in 2-channel.

SUMMATION:

So after four days of listening to my SP 1.7, I know that I made the correct decision.  To be fair, I went through a somewhat extensive evaluation process when I decided to upgrade from my Rotel RSP-1098.  I auditioned an Anthem Statement D1 and an Arcam AV8, as well as the 1.7 of course.  It would have been easy for me to simply get the 1.7 without a lot of hoopla but considering that I clearly wanted a significant step up from the Rotel RSP-1098, I wanted to take my time and explore a few other options as well.  The D1 has received a lot of mention of late as it enters the market with a splash.  In the audition, I found it very, very good but in most instances not significantly discernable from the 1098 that I was able to a/b in the same demo room.  It is an incredible piece and perhaps its best days are to come with future upgrades but for now, it was no contest with the 1.7 as far as pure sonics go.  The Arcam AV8 was very intriguing.  It had more features than the 1.7 and it’s sound was superb but it still didn’t beat the 1.7 in my opinion.  It was, however, the closest sounding pre/pro to the 1.7 I have heard.  A clear downside to this pre/pro is that it has been available for two years and has yet to be upgraded.  The dealer also has not heard of any firmware upgrades to be released either.

I’ll admit my bias in that I am a huge Bryston fan, as I own a couple of their amps.  Adding the SP 1.7 was a simple choice but as I explained, I wanted to be certain to explore some other options.  The 1.7 didn’t disappoint during the audition, hasn’t disappointed in the first few days I’ve owned it, and I am confident won’t disappoint in the days, weeks, and months ahead.  As I have said many times in this review, it is an incredible unit.  Would I ever consider upgrading from this unit in the future?  Well … you never say never in this wacky hobby but the leap would have to be significant and at a reasonable price point to cost justify the move.  After all, your ears (really) can only hear so much.  That being said though, who knows what new options will be available in the months and years ahead and whether Bryston will allow the 1.7 to be upgraded.  But for now, I am one VERY happy camper!

Levi

The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:10 am »
Good write up Jimmy!  I guess you really like the SP1.7 :o   Your post made in the  Bryston Customer Feedback!

jimmyp58

The SP 1.7 Has Arrived
« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:23 am »
I saw that and am quite flattered (and embarassed actually).  Thanks for the compliment!