Digital Amps

Anton

Digital Amps
« on: 5 Aug 2004, 09:58 pm »
Well, I'm back with new findings on digital amps.

Last time I mentioned listening to Jeff Rowland Design Group's 201 and said that neither the owner of the amps, nor the dealer nor me liked what we heard.

This time I had a chance to listen to the 501 and 302 at home in my equipment. Now these are different beasts altoghether, specially the 302.

Both had inexhaustible amount of power, extremely fast, very very detailed, hughe soundstage, extremely musical, pinpoint location of performers in space, and it raised goosebumps on orchestral crescendos.

I hope that Klaus efforts are in this direction. And, if possible, I would suggest a program for lending a couple of his digital amps to Odyssey customers for evaluation.

Happy listening!

Eduardo AAVM

Digital Amps
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2004, 10:05 pm »
or lend it to some of his business partners maybe ?  8)

amartincool

Digital
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2004, 10:40 pm »
Ehem    

Anton

have you told to the people how much these beauties cost?

the 501 price for monoblocks is $6,700.00
The 302 price for stereo is         $15,200.00

If the odyssey digital amps $1500 and $1995 get same sound at least.

Would not be unbelievable??  understand is impossible at least the 302.
Anyway is only an appreciation, and of course, I would like Klaus lending the digital to the parners je je :D

Anton

Digital Amps
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:36 am »
Yes they are expensive, specially the 302. However, I promised to post another mini-mini-review once I heard another digital amp after the 201.

As the Rowland dealer is a good friend and was willing to lend me the amps, I decided to try them and report my impressions.

Definitely digital amps will eventually subtitute non-digital amps as savings in weight and other factors make them very appealing. With these new Rowland amps it seems we are getting quite near to the goal. Now, if only they could be priced at $2,000.00...

ekovalsky

Digital Amps
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2004, 06:46 am »
Both the 201 and 302 use the B&O PowerHouse modules.  The differences are in the module used and its implementation.

The 201 (and 501) use the ASP modules which feature built-in SMPS power supplies.  The amplifier is rather simple, consisting of the module itself plus the chassis and connectors for AC power, XLR input, and one pair of binding posts for speaker cable.  

The 300 series use the A modules which require an outboard power supply.  If you open the gorgeous anti-resonant chassis here is what you will find, beyond the ICEpower500A modules:

Lundahl input transformers.  These transformers enable the input section to accomplish a number of unique goals, including insensitivity to unbalanced source impedances, high common-mode rejection extending to well beyond the audio bandwidth, immunity from RF contamination and system ground loops, and the same input impedance and gain regardless of whether the input signal is truly balanced or unbalanced.coupled inputs.

Plitron toroidal power transformer between the AC mains and the OPS power supply. This transformer interface increases the AC line voltage, which improves overall power supply efficiency, adds another stage of solation and AC mains filtering in both common and differential modes, and significantly reduces stray leakage currents throughout the entire audio system. Since the transformer is operating under ideal conditions due to the benefits offered by PFC, it does not exhibit common transformer problems such as hum and stray field radiation.  This yields an even lower total system noise floor.

Dual OPS 700w PFC switch-mode power supplies drive the output section.  These are extremely expensive, retailing at around $1250 each, and aren't found in any other audio equipment to my knowledge.  OPS supplies are used mainly in medical, defense, telecommuncations, and industrial control equipment.

I have a lot more information on the power supplies, as well as the ICEpower modules, if anyone is interested...

NealH

Digital Amps
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:08 am »
I would like to know how this toroid transformer increases differential mode filtering.  Sounds like a bunch of hokey to me.