DIY speaker using FE206E

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
DIY speaker using FE206E
« on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:42 pm »
I'm considering purchasing a set of Fostex fullrange FE206E drive units for a speaker project.

I am wondering whether anyone has used these drive units in a non-horn speaker. My woodworking skills don't run to even backloaded horns, nor do I need that much sensitivity.

What I would ideally like to do is create something slimline floorstanding with a t-line/passive radiator to enhance bass output a bit.

Has anyone tried this and if so what success? What passives used and volume for enclosure? What T-line length?

Any SE amps in particular a marriage made in heaven for these drive units?

Also, anyone tried any of the Dammar type lacquers on the FE206E cone?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice offered.

Andrikos

DIY speaker using FE206E
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:49 pm »
Head on to www.diyaudio.com
There you'll find hundreds of nuts( :D ), errr, enthusiasts that have done the same thing as you are trying to do.
Search around, I'm sure you'll find what you need.
Good luck!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
DIY speaker using FE206E
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2004, 10:21 am »
Steve Deckert (Decware) has been messing with the FE206E.  At last years 2003 DecFest we listened to them in 3 different cabinets.  The Classic Audio floorstanding bass reflex was the worst (panels were very resonant, bass was loose in general), a small standmount (best to integrate with a sub), and his own HDT (high definition tower) that he sells plans for that reached 40 Hz and did it well.

The HDT is the most complicated non corner horn design I've ever seen, not for the faint hearted woodworker, but he may also offer it pre-cut.

Steve also offers a modded FE206E.  But either way this driver isn't meant for bass reflex, transmission lines (my fav), pipes, or especially open baffles (another fav) with it's low Qts.  

Two Rivers Audio introduced at the 2003 Midwest Audio Fest a fairly impressive yet inexpensive front loaded option for the FE206E that used a pair of Yamaha servo dual woofer subs, similar to the Oris system.

elektratig

DIY speaker using FE206E
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:16 am »
Martin King's site has a virtual Fostex FE206E cabinet design, see http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html .

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
DIY speaker using FE206E
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2004, 10:24 am »
The single driver (recently renamed fullrange driver) site should have bunches of ideas.

Bert at Oris has also just released a floorstanding cabinet design for the FE206E.