Dakah Hip Hop Orchestra

dave_c

Dakah Hip Hop Orchestra
« on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:55 pm »
Went to see them play at the SF Jazz festival and they blew my mind.  I'm a fan of real hip hop (not radio garbage) as well as live bands.  The Roots pioneered the use of live instruments to lay down the beats for rappers, but Dakah is on another level.

They had a 60 piece “orchestra” with strings, brass and drums.  Although its still beat oriented, the strings and brass really added a new dimension to the music.  Plus, the energy between MC’s, singers, musicians and audience was electric.  I only wish there was a real dancefloor.  It was so hard to just sit and listen!

I picked up their Unfinished Symphony album and its great.  I don’t have my system yet, so I can’t comment on recording, but the performance is awesome.  I also purchased the live recording of the show which should be sent out once mastering is completed.

Apparently it was Dakah’s first show outside of LA, but I expect they will be back in the Bay Area sometime soon.  If you’re in LA and get a chance to see them, don’t hesitate.