Full Motion Wall Mount Recommendation Please

Todd Willhoit

Full Motion Wall Mount Recommendation Please
« on: 30 Nov 2013, 05:17 am »
Hi all,
I have a 50" plasma (Samsung PN50A650, 85 lb) that I need to wall mount.  I've searched here and the AVS forum and haven't found any solid recommendations.  A popular Cheetah mount was evidently re-engineered to use lighter weight material and now has been found to flex and sag.  I don't care about fancy names and I'm not looking to break the bank.  Cheap and Cheerful would be great.

Any suggestions?

youravhandyman

Re: Full Motion Wall Mount Recommendation Please
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:58 pm »
I can't believe I'm going to say this.  Probably will get my custom integrator card revoked but try Sams.  They sell an Omnimount series that is custom to them.  Has a little more plastic than the pro model I use from them but held a 60" Sharp without complaint when the customer bought it before I arrived for the install.  You might check it's weight limit though.  The version on their website will handle up to 70" screen and 120lbs.
If you cannot find a satisfactory mount you can message me directly.  I have motion mounts that can support 225lbs and have access to a brand that handles north of 500lbs but cost is always a factor.  And I don't mention these to get into your pocket but to let you know they exist.  Some folks have young children and they worry about one possibly hanging on the mount or pulling on the display.

Matt

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2013, 05:44 pm »
I've had two generations of Sanus Simplicity mounts from Costco, both used to mount a 55" Plasma.  The first one was so stiff to operate that it went off vertical every time we tried to use it, the second (redesigned) fixed the stiffness issue but I was never able to achieve a perfect horizontal level due to the poor design.  Based on this experience I have little confidence in Sanus mounts.

There's an MW mount currently on sale at Costco for $80, if you're a member it may be worth checking out as it appears to get reasonable reviews:

http://www.costco.com/MW-Mounts™-125-lb.-Capacity-Low-Profile-Full-Motion-Universal-Mount-MW125C64.product.11746919.html#BVRRWidgetID

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2013, 09:03 pm »
.  I don't care about fancy names and I'm not looking to break the bank.  Cheap and Cheerful would be great.

Any suggestions?
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10917&cs_id=1091703

JP78

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm »
snapav.com has awesome fullmotion mounts. Find a reputable dealer and you may be able to get a solid discount.

putz

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2013, 06:24 am »
Hung 2 different large Plasmas on this one over the years and its as solid as can be. Very C&C

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8587&seq=1&format=2

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:59 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for the great suggestions. 
- A cursory Google search didn't show any snapav dealers in Houston. 
- Sam's has an Atlantic and OmniBasics that would work.  Is the single arm as stable as two arms?
- I've never purchased anything from Monoprice.  Decent quality??  The link putz provided can certainly handle the weight, but in retrospect, I don't need 20" of extension, and 5" collapsed seems thick.
- The MW 125 lb. full motion mount at Costco has a minimum profile of 2.9".  So far, I think this is my top pick.

But, maybe I need to rethink my question:
The "corner" of our room is wall at 45 degrees to the adjoining walls, making the TV visible everywhere if mounted directly on the wall.  The only reason I wanted a swivel was to be able to easily access the back-facing connectors.  (Clearly not a frequent event.)  And, it isn't going to be mounted so high as to need much tilting.  Do I really need a swivel, or is a basic tilt mount sufficient?

Todd

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2013, 06:32 pm »
A good question about what do you really need.

I have 2 panels mounted in my home, on traditional tilt type mounts (ie no articulation).

The one on the main floor I have taken down once in 3 years, and that was only because we were redoing the stone on the fireplace, so once I wired it up and mounted it, it has stayed up there.

The one in the basement I have had down 2x in 6 months.  That space is a new build for HT, and behind the TV is a series of conduits that lead to elsewhere but are only accessible from behind the TV.

So, if it were me, I would only buy an articulating mount if I needed to swivel the screen with frequency.

With planning, you are likely not often to need to pull the panel off the wall.  It is quick work with a friend, but not possible to do on your own (well, I would not anyway, I have 55 and 60's mounted).

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2013, 07:59 pm »
I eventually gave up with Full Motion Mounts, concluded that it wasn't worth the hassle and I could live with a simple Tilt Mount.  Finally bought 2 of these, they work great and don't have the complexity to go wrong:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-lcd60-tm-tilting-tv-wall-mount-37-60-w-free-hdmi--182-322
$25

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2013, 01:00 am »
I use a Sanus VLT15 to hold up a 60" plasma. The mount is solid with numerous adjustments. I chose the mount for two main reasons: the space between the TV and wall is only .82", and the ClickStand which holds the TV away from the wall for easy cable access without having to remove the TV from the mount. I used the ClickStand a lot when setting everything up.

Go to http://www.sanus.com/world/en/products/visionmount/tilting-mount/VLT15# to find out more and watch the cool video demos.

Wayne

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2013, 01:09 am »
Oh I like that clickstand thing a lot!

It would have saved me in the basement.

The main floor has built in bookshelves right next to the TV, so when you need to get behind it, it has to come down, there is no getting in behind there.  But, if you need to get above and behind, it can be done on a ladder without removing the TV.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2013, 02:26 am »
That Sanus looks really nice, but it isn't going to work.  My connectors are rear-facing.  I could get right angle HDMI and F connectors but my power cable still protrudes 1".  The Parts Express model will save some $$ too.