Are the "new" mmg panels the same used for the super mmg's.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
That is, would i be able to get the dwm woofer later on and make the new mmg's super mmg's.

Thanks.

TheButler

Re: Are the "new" mmg panels the same used for the super mmg's.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:31 pm »
Manolo,

I've read that the Super MMGs have a hot-rodded crossover, over the standard MMGs. But, you can use the DWM woofer with the standard MMG and obtain great results.

I can't advise you if the Super MMG with a DWM sounds better than a standard MMG with a DWM. You could post that question in the 'Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?' thread...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2013, 11:15 pm »
They wouldn't have made a Super MMG System if a regular MMG old unsuper pair would mate up as well.
I think it's pretty safe to say they'll rebuild what you send them but NOT upgrade what you send in.

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2013, 01:18 am »
I would be nice if Magnepan would supply some accurate information regarding this "super" issue vice the nonsense we see on their website.

I have yet to see ANYTHING from Wendell (or anybody else at Magnepan) that explains EXACTLY what the difference is (if any) between a regular MMG panel and the MMG panel of the super system.  Just a lot of speculation from users and reviewers.
Maybe I've missed this information?

Cheers,

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2013, 02:37 am »
Maybe I've missed this information?

If you missed it (clear info about what, precisely, is different), so did I. All I've seen is exactly what you called it:

Just a lot of speculation from users and reviewers.

IIRC, Wendell (via Josh) did comment on the panels, themselves. They are precisely the same, which makes a great deal of sense from a manufacturing standpoint. What I recall being stated is that the crossover has been tweaked to make the MMG a better mate for the DWM, which also makes sense. Of course, that does imply that the crossover has been 'hot-rodded' (as in better components than what are in the new MMGs).

Frankly, I don't really understand Magnepan's caginess about the Super MMGs. The fact that the pairing is less expensive than the two products cost separately is enough incentive to make the purchase if the funds and space are accommodating. Eventually, a member of one of these forums will buy them and have a peek.  :wink:

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2013, 09:17 pm »
I don't understand how an MMG crossover tweak would make it any better (or worse) mate with the DWM.  :)  That would imply there is some high-pass component(s) added to the MMG low frequency network.  I don't see why they would do that.
Even "hot rodding" is a fairly meaningless term in the audio industry.  :)
I hate to see Magnepan devolving their language into nonsense like the rest of the hi-end audio industry, but I guess that's the way the game is played.  :)

Manolo,

To answer your original query........I don't think any of us have a clue.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2013, 12:03 am »
From what i've read elsewhere and here i suspect the difference might be due to the fact that the main MMG panels get a signal, lets say from 200 hz up, thus freeing the panels from low frequency extension. The cross over diference might be just that, a passive high pass filter included, making the main panels better sounding because thy have less excursion. Thanks guys!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2013, 12:24 am »
Here's what little I can tell you:
you can't upgrade the regular old MMGs to Super Duper status which leads me to believe that the panels are not the same.

Someone will have to pull out the staples and take a look see.
Sorry, I gave it the old college try. 

Davey

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2013, 01:15 am »
From what i've read elsewhere and here i suspect the difference might be due to the fact that the main MMG panels get a signal, lets say from 200 hz up, thus freeing the panels from low frequency extension. The cross over diference might be just that, a passive high pass filter included, making the main panels better sounding because thy have less excursion. Thanks guys!

Yeah, but that filter/crossover would be a high-pass network contained in the main speaker portion of the DWM....I would think.  We're talking large capacitors to achieve that, and there's simply not much room within the crossover compartment of the MMG.

And, if those capacitors were contained in the MMG, it would make them useless as full-range speakers....sans DWM....unless modified.

Cheers,

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2013, 02:32 am »
I don't understand how an MMG crossover tweak would make it any better (or worse) mate with the DWM.  :)

To be honest, I guess I don't understand it either, but that is what Wendell (supposedly) stated.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/06/t-h-e-show-newport-beach-2013-best-show/

I don't think any of us have a clue.  :)

Ain't that the truth!  :)

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2013, 03:24 am »
There is a "Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory" thread here, that would seem to be a good place to ask, if nobody has already.

Davey

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2013, 03:29 am »
IIRC that question was asked....no meaningful answer.

I've read the newport show report, but there's no meaningful information there either.  :)
It's not clear to me if Wendell really has any technical knowledge of the innards of these speakers.  Not that he really needs to being a marketing guy, but I just wish the answers to questions weren't so care-salesmany.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2013, 12:52 pm »
I've read the newport show report, but there's no meaningful information there either.  :)

Well, although the statement isn't meaningful in a fuller sense, it does (assuming it's factual) answer the OP's question in the affirmative. If all that's different is the crossover, that will be easy enough to replicate once there's clear information available on that front. Eventually, someone will dig into them and let the cat out of the bag.

Magnepan's website is largely responsible for the confusion and misinformation surrounding the SMMG. The provided information certainly doesn't make anything clear and it does imply that there is something different about the MMG: "No, the Super MMG is not an MMG with a Bass Panel. It is more than just better bass. The basic MMG has been "hot-rodded"." It's comments like that which push speculation into overdrive.  :roll:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2013, 11:35 am »
It's comments like that which push speculation into overdrive.  :roll:

That's the idea. 

Simply providing more information would serve the consumer better as it would let you make an informed choice. 
They're different.
Okay, how are they different and why do these differences matter?
Why should I buy them as opposed to the regular model plus a DMW?

Davey

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:01 pm »
I'm almost irritated enough to buy the SMMG's to find out.  :)

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm »
Whatever super secret thing they did at night when no one was watching got them TAS Budget Speaker of the Year Award.

I just glanced at it but there was something about the effervescence of the Schweppervesence during the most demanding of the tutti fruitti tomissimo passages that was simply sublime, from the basso profundo to the intangerine, it was all too difficult to describe but was heavenly, nonetheless.

I'll have to give it a closer read later on.

Janszen review, too, which I'm really interested in.